The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Dr. Jax Supersonic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Can anyone point me to a reference book/dvd/etc. regarding Dr. Jax Supersonic card effect? I have the card packet but can't locate my instructions anywhere. While I can certainly come up with an effect, I'd like to see what the original one was like. Thanks in advance.
Magic is where you find it.....
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
In my Mini-Mysteries section (Book 1 on my site) I describe the Jax Supersonic card effect, based on Glenn Gravatt's description comparing it to Grant's Slate of Mind. The e-Book is "Evolutionary Slate of Mind" and it has a variety of effects that can be performed based on the principles involved.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
If you have the cards, you know how the trick works. I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. The effect is that you correctly predict which of six cards an audience participant chooses. I have the jumbo version with the stand. I think it came with a page that had one paragraph of instructions--it's pretty self-explanatory.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Thank you Professor Spellbinder, I'll check the site out today.

Scott, thank you as well. Yes, I could fan six cards, showing them to be different, make a prediction and set it aside, have someone touch one of the cards and have it turn out to be, say, my predicted Queen of Hearts. Maybe that's all there is to it. I've had this in a box forever and imagined there to have been more than a paragraph of instructions at some time or another. Your response regarding your jumbo version has given me the idea of making a small card stand from walnut with a groove cut in it lengthwise to hold the cards and make it a little more "showy." That's helpful. Thanks.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

The scant instructions that came with mine goes like this (without revealing the method): The six cards are in the stand, backs facing the audience. You assign a number to each card, 1-6, and ask a spectator to choose one. You lift that one out of the stand and spin the stand around, showing the faces of the other 5 cards, and return the selected card back to the stand, back toward audience. After some build-up, you rotate the stand again to show the selection is the predicted QH.

Some people have panned this over the years. I've always found it to be an excellent "quickie" that plays very well.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Gideon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Gideon
The right spelling is Dr. Jaks, not Dr. Jax.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I believe the "original" uses 10 cards. I have a very old set like this in my collection...

Julie
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
I think the card stand will help the presentation in a parlor type environment. Anyway it should remove suspicion of card manipulation. I say help the presentation meaning similar to the "Final Card" effect which at one time was performed using cards only. Abbott's and Milson Worth's versions of the Final Card wheel added an extra dimension to that effect.

Thank you again, Scott for your help. Thank you Gideon for the spelling correction (my bad). And, thank you Julie for your input. Mine doesn't have ten cards, but I can see how that makes it a little bit more amazing!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

The original Jumbo version, which I have, has six cards and a nicely made two-piece stand consisting of a base and a hinged, slotted display that folds for transport and storage.
My Lybrary Page
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
Max Maven had a nice version of this using a small paperback book as the holder for regular sized poker cards. Method and gaffs the same.
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
That's an interesting twist, using a book. Maybe if you had the right size coffee table book, you could even fit all 10 of Julie's cards in it!
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I love this trick. I have several rotating card stands for this effect and "Ultissimo".

I wish someone would make a better stand for this for close-up. Poker size - not jumbo. But, I like Max's version.

Great trick, IMO.

Robert
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Max's version is clever, he usually uses his own book on fortune telling. But there have been other good spin offs with the cards, Larry Becker's "Bear Minimum" is one example.

I preferred a later version of Jaks's which didn't use those cards.

Paul.
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
I'd like to get a later version just to be able to mix it up a bit. I did a search for "Bear Minimum" and didn't see that one. Do you know a dealer that might have it?
Gideon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Gideon
You find the discription for "Bear Minimum" in Larry Beckers "Stunners Plus" on page 43.
When you can not find the cards pm me, I can made the cards for you as small or as big you want them.
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Gideon, thank you for the information. I will try to find the book you mentioned.
Gideon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Gideon
For "Stunners Plus" look here: http://www.lybrary.com/index.php?sort=2a......r_id=533
It is a PDF book, much cheaper then the bound volume.
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Thanks again Gideon. I'm kind of old school and would prefer a book I can hold in my hands, but I'll check the link out you provided. I appreciate your help!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2010-06-08 18:16, dhouck wrote:
...I'm kind of old school and would prefer a book I can hold in my hands...I appreciate your help!

Good for you! Smile

Julie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Dr. Jax Supersonic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL