The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Bar magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ugabuga
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Ugabuga
I hope this is the right place for this- but here it goes
Besides entertaining the costumers and having a good time –
Your job is to promote the selling of alcohol and other drinks.

This may be a big question – by what means does a magician sell alcohol?
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
Keeps people in the establishment long enough to buy another round through the promise of seeing magic tricks? Makes the regulars bring more friends in to see the magic? makes customers repeat their business more frequently? Draws in potential customers from other establishments? Promotes a fun, party atmosphere they encourages people to have one or two more than they would normally have? Might encourage customers to buy the magician a drink?

Just spitballing here
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
Near a river in the Midwest
9826 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
There are a couple different classifications for "bar" magician.

1) A bartender first, that does magic as time permits. He obviously works behind the bar. These guys sometimes work alone, but in busier places will have another bartender (or more) on staff that picks up the slack during times when the magic is actually happening. In many cases, the bar does not quit making and selling drinks. Waitresses serving the dining room still have to get drinks from the bar, etc., hence the need for someone who can still take care of the bar's needs.

Selling alcohol happens as it would with any other bar, but there is an advantage of having entertainment. As with a band, people often come to see the magic, or end up staying longer because of it.

2) Magician first, working behind the bar, with other bartenders n staff that actually perform most, if not all the bar duties. Tom Mullica at the Tom Foolery in Buckhead was such a bar magician. His job was to perform the magic, although he did this from behind the bar. This was pretty much a unique arrangement, as the bar was designed very much like a mini cabaret theater. Seating was arranged for optimum viewing. This was very akin to dinner theater, or some comedy clubs. This type of business is generally built around the magic, and as in the case of Mullica's place, he was the owner as well as the magician.

In many typical bars, a magician behind the bar, who does not actually make drinks, would be in the way, although this depends entirely on the layout of the bar, and how busy the bartender is at the time. It can be done, though.

Pushing booze is done through the same techniques as above (getting people in and keeping them there while they spend money), but conversation with the customers as a representative of the bar can often make references to drinks, and thereby subtly sell without directly asking the patrons if they'd care for another.

3) The magician in the bar, but not necessarily if at all, behind the bar. It is still possible to work for the patrons seated at the bar, except you must stand beside them instead of working from the other side of the bar. This also allows the magician to service the tables in the bar... something harder to do from behind the bar.

Sales of alcohol are done primarily as above... attract a crowd, keep them there as long as they are spending money, and slant some conversation with references to drinking.

Good communication with bartenders and cocktail waitresses in the presence of the customers directly links the good time fun you provide, with the jobs they do in the minds of the customers. Everything works hand in hand.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Ugabuga
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Ugabuga
I work the tables ( like walkaround stuff)
I want to influnce people to buy more stuff... any tips on that?
JustinVisible
View Profile
Elite user
South Jersey/Philadelphia Areas
453 Posts

Profile of JustinVisible
Michael basically hit the nail on the head in his "grouping" of magicians in the bar. As a magician bartender, you are definitely correct that you want to get the drinks out and the register rolling. If you get a chance to read some of the works of the pros like Scotty York, Bob Sheets, Tom Mullica, Doc Eason, JC Wagner for example they will tell you that your first and foremost job is to get the money in the register.

Now I believe you are asking how to do this while performing magic in the bar regardless if you are doing magic between patrons, have a set and bartend after or working the tables and the patrons on the other side of the bar... The easiest way to do this is just ask... "do you need another?" If they are almost empty and you have their attention 9 out of 10 times they will reply yes. Then it is a quick nod or notion to whomever is tending and they get their replacement. There have been a number of times that I am doing card under bottle or pint and I notice that their beverage is almost empty. I work this into the routine how it is easy to do b/c the glass is so light. Then politely ask them if they would like another. I jokingly "snap my fingers magically" and whomever I am staffed with replaces the empty with a new one..

Hope this starts you off in the right direction.

Cheers,

Justin
"If they laugh, it's funny..."
superpixel
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
131 Posts

Profile of superpixel
This has been immensely helpful for me as well -- we're looking into starting a bar featuring magic (but with other sources of revenue).

I'm thinking now we may want to invest in some clever design of the bar, but not *too* clever...
-- superpixel = Victor --
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Bar magic (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.097564 seconds, requiring 28 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [2] [1] [3] [2] [4] [6] [5]