The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Gaffed decks that have warped due to sunlight exposure (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tarik Flash
View Profile
Inner circle
2469 Posts

Profile of Tarik Flash
Hi all I wondered if anyone had any ideas on how to restore a deck that I left in my car and the heat has kind of warped the cards. They are a brand new mastermind deck which are not cheap and now will not fan properly and kind of click in a warping fashion if you riffle them. Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem and if there is anyway out of it , thanks in advance Gary
mtoth2008
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of mtoth2008
Hello Gary!

Try ironing the cards with a steam iron. Practice on some old cards first to get the proper heat and technique.

Mike
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of BCS
Some have recommended placing them in the freezer and sandwiching them between some heavy books. Sometimes you just need to replace them.

Good luck with your repairs,
Bruce
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
I always split the deck in half, Turn one half face up and leave the other half face down (So the warp is running in opposite directions for each half) , Faro them together, Place them in the box and then in the refrigerator overnight.

It always worked for me.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2824 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2010-07-06 08:36, nanaswan wrote:
Hi all I wondered if anyone had any ideas on how to restore a deck that I left in my car and the heat has kind of warped the cards. They are a brand new mastermind deck which are not cheap and now will not fan properly and kind of click in a warping fashion if you riffle them. Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem and if there is anyway out of it , thanks in advance Gary
I have never been able to restore a heat warped deck...throw it away or use for Mecury Folding practice or (forgive the pun) Card Warp Smile

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Tarik Flash
View Profile
Inner circle
2469 Posts

Profile of Tarik Flash
Thanks for all your help will try the fridge with a faro and if no good I will ditch them regards Gary
mtoth2008
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of mtoth2008
Gary....don't toss them if the freezer experiment does not work. I steam iron Lionel Train boxes regularly to straighten them out and many of the boxes I work on are worth considerably more than $100. Ironing will take a little time but it works on many things like a badly wrinkled personal check, etc.. Wet heat works on many items: hair curling irons, steamers to remove wrinkles from clothes to name a few. Remember it was heat that warped the cards to begin with....it should also straighten them out.

Mike
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
I appreciate what your saying Mike.

But with all do respect, The refrigerator thing HAS worked for me. Several times.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
mtoth2008
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of mtoth2008
Voldemort;

No arguement here.....Gary said he was going to "Ditch Them" if the refrigerator did not work. Obviously the refrigerator would be much less time consuming. I just did not want to see him throw the deck away if there were other options.

Mike
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
I understand. Thank you for the clarification and I agree with you 100%. There are a few ways to save the cards.

I didn't mean for it to come off like I was saying your method would not work.

Sorry.
"Flight from death"
Tarik Flash
View Profile
Inner circle
2469 Posts

Profile of Tarik Flash
Hi everyone just took them out of the freezer and my gut reaction is they may be ok . They are cold and clammy at the moment so once they dry up as it were I will see how they fan . The warp however seems to have virtually gone. Will let you know end result, and if no good will steam iron them thanks again Gary
Tarik Flash
View Profile
Inner circle
2469 Posts

Profile of Tarik Flash
Ok cards are restored so thanks everyone, I followed Voldemort s advice exactly except I put them in the freezer overnight instead of the fridge , it worked perfectly and I think reversing the warp in a faro was a big part of it too. So thanks to all especially Voldemort regards Gary
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
I'm glad it worked for you!

Another deck of cards saved! LOL Smile
"Flight from death"
Bobbert
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
152 Posts

Profile of Bobbert
Just curious but does anyone know exactly why the cards do that clicking thing when they get warped? I always say the cards have the "bends" but seriously I could never explain what happened to them. I was thinking it could be that the cards slightly expand due to heat but it has happened to me in winter as well
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Nice tip, Voldemort!

Cheers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Gaffed decks that have warped due to sunlight exposure (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL