The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Portable P.A. Systems. What are you using ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1478 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I switched to a MiPro MA-202 which I love and bought from Joe Lefler. It has 40 watts with a built in UHF wireless microphone, rechargable battery seems to last forever (it claims 8 hours ofcontinuous use from a single charge), built in MP3 player and only weighs only 7 pounds. It also has a remote which I don't find very useful ando does not have an audio out pass through. I also use an MP3-Tech with a rechargable battery pack when needed.

Dan.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
6851 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I just picked up a Pyle 600 watt system with a wireless handheld mic and IPOD docking station on it. I bought it for use outdoors at track meets. It performed great. I have not tried it yet with music but I see no reason it should not work well. It has two mic 1/4 " jacks and one for Aux. Full tone and echo controls. It only weighs 24# and gives you five hours on a charge.

I got a great deal off ebay but I was so impressed that I applied and received a dealership to sell them.

Before this I used an old phonograph player case with the detachable speakers in the lid and an old 20W Radio shack PA. it worked wll but this is so much better.

I also have used a guitar practice amp for the music when I did not need a mike to talk for the small shows. That was really nice as it packs down to nothing.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
pepita
View Profile
New user
Paris
70 Posts

Profile of pepita
Hello,

I am going to need a PA for birthday parties.
Up to now, I've used PAs only for bigger venues, but I realize that my vocal skills are not good enough for me to feel comfortable at birthday parties when children get noisy or when there's an echo in the room (although I've practised, taken drama school and singing lessons - that's hopeless I'm afraid lol).

I've read related topics on the forum : it looks like suitable PAs would be Mipro 101 or Mackie 150, but I have no idea on what criteria to choose one or the other.

I have also noticed "home devices" (many Ipod stations) in shops, that appear to be quite light weight, portable. There's a Bose among others. But no one seems to be using these for their birthday shows, so I guess there's a reason ?
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1737 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
My suggestions would be:

1.) Roland CM-30 - http://www.amazon.com/Roland-CM-30C-Cube......00OY4WA6

2.) Happie Amp - http://happieamp.com/happieampeuropean.html

I use the Roland CM-30 for birthday parties and library shows. (I've used it with audiences of 100 - 125 in small rooms.) I love the sound this small PA produces. It is the best sounding small PA I've found. (I tested it against the Mackie SM150 and preferred the quality of the sound the Roland has.) I use a lot of music in my shows and the Roland does a terrific job of reproducing it. The advantages, besides quality sound, are that it is small, lightweight and has multiple inputs for a microphone, iPod/CD player, etc. The only disadvantage is that it requires an electrical outlet to use it. (Since you're in France, you'll have to see if there is a 220 version so you don't have to use converters.)

The Happie Amp has a very nice sound although I prefer the Roland. The advantages to the Happie Amp is that it runs off a built-in rechargeable battery, has a built-in wireless microphone and is more powerful than the Roland. I compared them side by side and the Happie Amp definitely had more volume.

If you already have a wireless microphone and you don't mind plugging in the PA, then I would recommend the Roland CM-30. If you don't already have a mic and you want the convenience of a battery-powered PA, then I recommend the Happie Amp. (The link above is for the 220v version.)
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2454 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I just recently got a Pyle PWMA200 for birthday parties and outdoor shows, since it is rechargeable, and I am pleased with it. It works quite well, and has a clear sound. The included headset and and lapel mike is a plus, along with the wired handheld microphone. For under $100, its great.
-Matt
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1737 Posts

My only concern with Pyle is that both a friend of mine and I had Pyle battery-powered PA systems several years ago and both of them had reliability issues. The battery in mine didn't last long and they agreed to replace the battery under warranty. (It was only a couple of months old.) Unfortunately, it took forever to get the battery. As soon as I got the battery, I sold the PA because I started having other issues with it. My friend was really enjoying his but it died completely in less than a year.

I don't know if Pyle units are better now but I am wary of them.
pepita
View Profile
New user
Paris
70 Posts

Profile of pepita
Thanks for your help, Michael and Matthew !

I actually forgot to mention : I'd like a battery-powered player.
I often work in an area (outside mainland France) where there are power cuts.

And one other concern, as you mentioned, is I live in France.
I'd rather get a PA that is being sold here, so I know if there is a problem, I can have it fixed within a reasonable time (+ we operate on 220 volts, as you mentioned too ;-).

For these reasons, I had selected two PAs that are available from different "real" and online shops here, and that seemed to bring satisfaction to the users who wrote on the forum.

I searched further yesterday, and found that the advantage of the Mackie would be the power and clarity of its sound, and that of the Mipro its incorporated wireless system...I think I'll try searching Youtube too, in case there are videos where I can hear how they sound.
I would love to compare them in a shop, but many have one or the other, not both :-/.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1737 Posts

Unfortunately, the Mackie SRM150 does not run on batteries. The Mipro 101 does. The Mipro 101 has plenty of power and does a great job with voice. I'm not as fond of it's ability to reproduce music. (It's hard for a speaker that small to reproduce music with as much depth as a speaker that has a larger speaker.)
pepita
View Profile
New user
Paris
70 Posts

Profile of pepita
You're so right !
I hadn't realized the Mackie was not battery operated.

As for the music, I use very little music for birthday parties.

So that settles it Smile.
Thanks Michael, you've been very helpful !
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1737 Posts

You're welcome. I recommend you test it out before purchasing just to make sure you are happy with the sound. If there's one thing I've found, it's that people have very different tastes as to what sounds good to them. I'm very picky so it's much harder to please me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Portable P.A. Systems. What are you using ? (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.113316 seconds, requiring 38 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [2] [0] [4] [3] [7] [8] [7] [9]