The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2010 entrée: Tyler Wilson » » What do you do? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1127 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Hi Tyler.

What do you do when not writing books? Do you perhaps perform magic or stand-up comedy for a living? You really are one of the funniest guys alive.

Also, wouldn't you say that you are not unwilling to stop ignoring the inverse compliment of audience dissatisfaction for the sake of magic?

Thanks for a fantastic new book.

/Tomas
Tyler Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
Calgary
123 Posts

Profile of Tyler Wilson
Hey Tomas,
I seem to have fallen into some strange trap, where I'm the “funny” guy. I'm really not THAT funny. You - a Swedish Hulk - are far funnier than I. In a world of David Williamsons, David Acers, and Mac Kings, I'm the equivalent of Stephen Hawking (I can hear the similarities in our voices).

I don't really focus on infusing funny into my material; I worry more about letting my personality, quirks, insecurities, strengths, flaws, goals, excitement, etc. shine through (and the fooling magical effect, of course). If that means some funny comes along for the ride, so be it. But I just cringe when I see people force funny into their magic with stock lines, or jokes they took from another performer. I'm not saying every word out of our mouths has to be original (or there goes the English language), but straight-up stock lines are blatantly insulting to an audience. They accomplish the exact OPPOSITE of what we should be trying to achieve; they build up walls, rather than break them down. Coming from someone who used to recite packet trick lines word for word when I first got into magic, I know how comforting it is to hide behind someone else's words, someone else's ideas. But that comfort is nothing compared to the satisfaction of performing as you (or someone you created), instead of the guy who wrote the instructions.

In the magic world, “entertaining” has become synonymous with “funny,” which is not only horribly inaccurate, but it also stifles where we can take our magic. Think of all the bands you've seen live; were they funny? Unless you were watching Tenacious D or Spinal Tap, they probably weren't. But did that prevent them from being utterly entertaining? If comedy was the only form of entertainment, Blockbuster wouldn't need their section dividers. There are SO many ways to be entertaining, and funny is merely one of those ways. In order to avoid finding myself victim of that trap, I tend to think of my performances needing to be “captivating” rather than “entertaining.” You'd be surprised how much this simple change in words can affect your direction.

To paraphrase a wise man: Do whatever you want. Say whatever you want. Just don't be boring.

See? That wasn't so funny, was it? What if I told you I farted?

Tyler Wilson
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Sebastian, Florida
371 Posts

Profile of atucci
Quote:
On 2010-07-16 18:40, Tyler Wilson wrote:
What if I told you I farted?

Tyler Wilson

When?
Tony Tuccillo
Sebastian,Florida
rich aviles
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of rich aviles
Hahaha, that is one of the funniest posts to ever hit this flooded green background. Keep up the good work!

On a serious note, there are some important lessons in your post. Mr. Brooks, would you redirect everyone's browser to this thread, please? Thanks.

Rich Aviles
rich aviles
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of rich aviles
On an even more serious note, what are some of your interests outside of magic? I think this might be what Tomas was getting at in his original post.

Tom Stone has put non-magic inspirational lists in previous publications and I've always found them fascinating. Are you reading anything interesting? From what I've gathered, you're a fan of crappy 90s alternative rock. Does any of that inspire you and/or is there any recent music that you're digging?

Also, what's the deal with the thumb rings?

Rich Aviles
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
90's alternative and thumb rings are both pimp....

DO
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
354 Posts

Profile of JohnG
I agree with Tyler. He's not that funny.

John G
John Guastaferro

Facebook fan page: www.facebook.com/MagicJohnG
Twitter: twitter.com/johngmagic
YouTube: www.youtube.com/johngmagic
Email: johnGmagic@mac.com
Tyler Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
Calgary
123 Posts

Profile of Tyler Wilson
Hey Rich,
When... have I EVER... worn a thumb ring?! I'm just not cool enough to be able to pull it off. Nipple ring, maybe.

I don't like crappy '90s rock as much as I like good '90s rock. And just good music in general. Whether it's current or old, pop or folk: good music is good music. I could probably sit here and list you off tons of artists I listen to that would make me look cool, like hip indie bands or respected foreign artists. But the truth of it is, I sometimes like the extremely-popular-yet-extremely-uncool-to-admit-liking songs, too. You'd probably never talk to me again if I told you I've dug songs from 'N Sync, Backstreet Boys, O Town, Creed, and even *gasp* Nickelback. But it's true. If I hear a song I like, I don't really care who it comes from.

The closest I've ever been directly inspired by music for my magic, was something that happened in a Foo Fighters video. But that's about it. You're quite the creative machine, Rich; does music inspire you?

Tyler Wilson
rich aviles
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of rich aviles
No gasps necessary. I'd be the last person to seriously make fun of someone's musical tastes since I listen to a lot of strange things and get teased often. Music is obviously subjective.

So it's a nipple ring that you wear on your thumb? Interesting.

Does music directly inspire me? Not that I can specifically pinpoint. But I do think putting on good music helps induce a more creative mood. Kind of like Marvin Gaye or Sade might assist one to get into a uh ... certain mood.

Full disclosure: I was anesthetized to All For One's "I Swear" before ankle surgery in 1997.

Rich Aviles
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2010 entrée: Tyler Wilson » » What do you do? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.097927 seconds, requiring 32 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [1] [9] [3] [4] [8] [9] [6]