The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2010 entrée: Tyler Wilson » » Working Material » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Adam Paul
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Adam Paul
Hi Tyler

Many thanks for spending time with us this week.

Do you only perform your own material when working professionally or do you use the work of others too?

Would be VERY interested to hear your top ten "go to" tricks you always perform at tables or cocktail parties please.

I have your Dominatricks and Coronation Street Sucks and love them both. Will have to buy your new soon!

AP.
Tyler Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
Calgary
123 Posts

Profile of Tyler Wilson
Hey Adam,
Thanks for the kind words, my good man! They mean a lot.

To be honest, I couldn't think of a more egotistical thing to do than only perform one's own material (“one's own material” being a shady concept to begin with). Why on earth would I ignore our current and past masters? They've handed us gold on a gold platter made of golden gold, and it would be rude to dismiss such brilliance. I don't like being rude. So while I do change things up here and there for the material to fit me, it's still me performing someone else's creation.

Man, just spitting out ten go-to tricks sounds sooooo easy, but it really isn't. I probably have some weird form of A.D.D. because I'm constantly adding more and more to my repertoire (I have to keep a list in my phone so I can remember them all and practice the ones I haven't done in a while). With such a whale for a repertoire, there are so many factors involved with which material I bust out for any given group. Context is everything. What kind of event is it? Is it loud? Are they sitting or standing? Do they have any free hands? How many people in the group? What would make ME happy performing? Have they had much to drink? How did they respond to my opening remarks? Did I leave the iron on? And I'm one of those geeks who knows several different routines for the same effect (I do seven different Triumph routines in my working repertoire, and that's not even one of my favorite plots!). You should see all the cats I've skinned.

So if you just want me to spout any ten tricks I do, just holla. Or if you want something more specific, give me a situation and I'll give you ten I might do under those circumstances.

Tyler Wilson

P.S. This post made me realize that I should really think about cutting all the fat in my work. I won't do it, but I should at least think about it.
Adam Paul
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Adam Paul
Thanks Tyler!

Here are two situations for you:

1) A corporate dinner, very unresponsive people seated at tables: they've sat and listened to boring speeches for the past 3 hours and had lots of food and a glass or two of wine. It's also fairly noisey!

2) A cocktail party, with hundreds of guests, most of which have at least one hand full with drinks and/or food - no tables, totally surrounded and just 2 hours to get around all the guests.

AP.
Michel Huot
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal
149 Posts

Profile of Michel Huot
Like your answers Tyler
you know you are a funny man but you answer seriously with a touch of humor...
and you know I hate you (yes in a good way!)
Tricks aren't important...people are!!!
Tyler Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
Calgary
123 Posts

Profile of Tyler Wilson
Hey Adam,
Since you asked about other people's material, I'll purposely avoid mentioning any of my own routines. Here come ten for each (in no particular order):

1) Homing Card (Carlyle, not Braue), Re-Set (Moreland's handling), Finger Flicker (Hartling), Richie's Double Bill Switch (Sanders), About Face! (Kam), Just One Rubber & Get Your Knot Off (Bodine), Pickpocket Collectors (Goodwin), with a table there, if people mention gambling I may bust out From The Cellar (Ortiz), Easy Forte (Ackerman), or Punken Droker (Cummins). But for the record, I hate gambling demos.

(I would never tell a booker that I could do a couple of hundred guests in two hours, but...)
2) Diehard Opener (Sankey), Mysterious (Carpenter), Re-Set (Blomberg's handling), Rubberbound (Garcia), Raise Rise (okay okay, I rarely have the balls to do it, but I've worked too long on it not to tell anyone!), Culligula (Kimlat), Overtime (Acer), Sandstorm (Gladwin), Memory Test (Williamson), Two Beginnings (Aronson)

Tyler Wilson

P.S. Michel, I love you.
Adam Paul
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Adam Paul
Thanks Tyler - that's great!

Where are
Tomas Blomberg's Re-Set and Andi Gladwin's Sandstorm published please?

Many thanks again,

AP.
Tyler Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
Calgary
123 Posts

Profile of Tyler Wilson
Hey Adam,
Tomas' is unpublished, and Andi's was published in Best of Friends 3, by Harry Lorayne but it's best you learn it direct from Andi.

Tyler Wilson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2010 entrée: Tyler Wilson » » Working Material » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.053015 seconds, requiring 24 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [3] [9] [9] [2] [2] [9] [8]