The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Chest of Gaff Decks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

leinadnallareyem
View Profile
New user
Glendora, CA
35 Posts

Profile of leinadnallareyem
Greetings,
I have a small chest which contains eight gaffed decks. I present this chest in the closeup arena. "You always suspect that the cards are crooked" I perform one maybe two gaffed magic tricks then with the same deck pull off the Elivator manipulation. I am boared with the Elivator. Any body have another card manipulation with Elmsly Count or simple examiblae trick with The gaffes are stripper, marked decks etc...
Regards
Leinad
Leinad
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5811 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-07-24 04:07, leinadnallareyem wrote:
Greetings,
I have a small chest which contains eight gaffed decks. I present this chest in the closeup arena. "You always suspect that the cards are crooked" I perform one maybe two gaffed magic tricks then with the same deck pull off the Elivator manipulation. I am boared with the Elivator. Any body have another card manipulation with Elmsly Count or simple examiblae trick with The gaffes are stripper, marked decks etc...
Regards
Leinad

Warm greetings Leinad,

I will answer your question as best I can given my understanding of it which is admittedly still a bit dodgy. You are asking for a simple effect whereby you can use the gaffed cards but in such a way that the cards are examinable because sleight of hand becomes the method and not the gaffs themselves. I hope I am correct.

Since you are asking for "simple", I will presume that your sleight of hand skill set is at best intermediate. Please do correct me if I am wrong, okay?

Doctor Daley's Last Trick IMMEDIATELY springs to mind. This is a VERY strong effect and the sleight of hand is minimal. To strengthen this classic even further, do the effect in the spectator's hands.

You mentioned the Elmsely Count. It is a wonderful sleight. But instead of naming some effects that use it, I think it might be more productive to give you some effect suggestions that would work well. (especially with a stripper and with marked decks since there are no duplicates)

All of these are STRONG and most require little sleight of hand. I will provide general references. If you need detailed references and effect descriptions, please feel free to PM me.

Gemini Twins: Self Working Card Tricks by Karl Fulves

Impossible!: The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings

Unshuffling Rebecca: The Art of Astonishment, volume one by Paul Harris. (THIS effect is very cool by the way and a lot of fun. It is a very visual approach to Triumph that sort of resembles Card Warp as well.)

Untouched: by Daryl. This is found in many sources. I learned it from Impromptu Card Magic, written and edited by Aldo Colombini.

Las Vegas Leaper: The Art of Astonishment, volume two by Paul Harris.

Prior Commitment: Try the Impossible by Simon Aronson

Up the Ante: manuscript by Martyn Smith (you can PM him here on the Café. Tell him Vlad referred you Smile )

Play it Straight Triumph: Impossibilia, written by John Bannon

Timely Departure: Smoke and Mirrors, by John Bannon.

Marked: found in Jerry Mentzer's Card Cavalcade series. (I forget which volume. PM me if you are interested in the exact volume number)

Ambitious Classic: The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings. (This one does require a bit more work, but, it IS worth it. It isn't "difficult" but, you are doing quite a bit of sleights that I am assuming you should already know. If you have the book, I would suggest you do the four card variant)

Emotional Reaction: The Lost Inner Secrets of Card Magic. This is a classic Dai Vernon effect that plays VERY well.

Italian Serenade: by Aldo Colombini, found in Apocalypse.

Jazz Aces: Peter Kane. (There are MANY variants of this beautiful effect, and yes it DOES use the Elmsely Smile )

Now, this list could go on and on. And it would be rather a waste of bandwidth since I do not know what resources you have.

Since you work so much with gaffed decks I am assuming that you know a good deck switch or two? These are, in my opinion, ESSENTIAL if you are working with gaffed and straight decks. You can ring in whatever you want.

I would direct you to the All In The Cards section of the Café for more excellent ideas. The Workers section could also be helpful, but, you will need to be much more detailed concerning your level of card expertise. What may seem simple to me may be terribly complicated to another.

Looking back, I think maybe I wasn't much help listing effects. I SHOULD have listed some sources.

Anyhow, feel free to PM me, and also do not be shy about asking your question in the areas of the Café I suggested.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Chest of Gaff Decks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL