The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring and chain penetration advice needed and fun question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Manipulator
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of The Manipulator
I love the classic ring on chain effect where the Magi dangles a chain off his fingers and threads a ring up to the top of the chain and drops it. mysteriously it ties itself into a knot on the end of the chain and hangs there. Problem is I can either only find a cheap basic version from magic shops, or the expensive one that's always sold out anyway (The good version anyway)by Will Tsai. I would like to wear this effect as a classy necklace. The chain would be easy enough to find but where would I begin to look for a nice ring fitting the proper requirments to perform the effect? Anyone else love this effect as much as me and have found or made thier own custom rings/chains?
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I've experimented with this effect quite a bit recently and struggled with the very questions you ask.

I've fashioned a couple of chains using silver necklaces. I remove the clasp and re-attach the links so I have an unbroken chain. I also reduced the size of an old fast and loose chain.

The linking doesn't work as easily with a chain that's too long or too thick. In fact, the thinner the chain, the more deceptive the the final display looks.

I don't like the look of a ring with a seam, no matter how thin. So, I sometimes use the ring from a Jardine Ellis set with a thin, necklace type chain. ( Ideal for wearing around your neck).

The ring I usually use if I want a larger appearing set, is the smaller Wizard Craft brass ring.

I hope some of this helps.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Try googling "harness Ring" they are heavy brass and some have no obvious seam.

Every where Tom and I go we are vaguely looking for Magic. Obviously Magic auctions and estate sales are good. Every Magician that does ring effects has several that didn't meet his/her needs so you could have several to choose from if you're willing to look through some boxes. Because of their weight and size most rings end up at the bottom of the box.

If you post the actual size you think is best the answers you receive will be more on target.

- Mary Mowder
Cranial Fermentator
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Cranial Fermentator
I've made several versions, each with their own different look. Aesthetically, my favorite is a black ball chain with an antique oak ring, though it doesn't quite work as well as the ones with the brass or steel rings..

Paul
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
"Tractor Supply" here in OHIO has some of best brass rings I've seen. $2.00 or less depending on the size.
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
amerigo
View Profile
Veteran user
Can't believe I only have
318 Posts

Profile of amerigo
Magic is Everywhere
The Manipulator
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of The Manipulator
Nice suggestions friends! thanks for your time!
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I have seamless solid brass rings and less expensive welded brass plated rings.
http://www.barnowskymagic.com/pricelistkotr3.html
They are 3 1/2 inch inner diameter.

Larry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring and chain penetration advice needed and fun question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL