The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Shufton Harris X ray (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15 [Next]
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
So glad you guys are using this!

Benny and Stevo
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Question for you guys. Do you usually go into this already setup or do you do the borrowed deck version?
Michael J
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
334 Posts

Profile of Michael J
Hi Blindside785

I always go into this from the already set up state. I'm using Nicolino's set up for X Ray Vision and it doesn't lend it self to use a borrowed deck.

Not withstanding, the effect has a great effect on the spectator.

All the best

Michael
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Already set up - To me using a borrowed deck would only be in an emergency and would require too much work... for me.

If you can do some Zarrows or other shuffles then all looks ultra fair.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
I agree, a sloppy false overhand shuffle while chatting is all that's needed. But I might be biased.... Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Balthasar V.
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Balthasar V.
I have my deck always prepared for X-ray.
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Mr.Harris, great effect:

I use the Radarama sequence for my 5 cards from upsilon

as an added pro: I can then have a bank of 10 different cards for repeat performances

and the best is the fishing sequence is almost non existent with that setup:
howie3
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of howie3
I kind of like the "fishing" questions, I think it builds up to a unbelievable ending.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-03-07 16:08, howie3 wrote:
I kind of like the "fishing" questions, I think it builds up to a unbelievable ending.

There is really only one "no" so not much in the way of fishing - all the rest are yes... but I agree with you. This is a mentalism type of presentation and so the questions are justified and with only one "no" the magician has all they need to know.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Just a tip for those who love X-Ray - or want to love X-Ray since it is one of the coolest hands-off routines ever...

The Phoenix decks work even better than Bikes in my opinion. Why?

The Phoenix decks have a graphical element on the backs that seems to totally camouflage the work far better than Bikes. Those who have this no what I am referring to.

If anyone doesn't have Ben Harris' effect - this is one to grab. It is very powerful. Really good.

The Phoenix Decks are now available at Penguin too:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2581
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
I just saw a video review of this and think it looks mind-boggling. Has it been published anywhere else (in a larger book or DVD or whatever) since its release, or is the original booklet still the best source?
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Buy the original book - a FANTASTIC effect, never before published - buy the PDF download or book. Five stars.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Thanks, Says. I didn't even wait for an answer -- I went ahead and got the .pdf from Lybrary.com. As soon as I learned it was available as a download I could have RIGHT NOW, my inner 12-year-old magician couldn't wait. Smile

I think it's genius. The method is diabolically clever, the way it brings two simple principles together into something that seems impossible. It's the sort of thing I never would've thought of because I wouldn't have believed it would work reliably -- but I've already tried the basic method a few times (with myself as spectator), and I had to laugh at how well it works. I can't wait to get my presentation worked out well enough to try it on real people. It should make some heads explode. Smile
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Read the thrtead a bit - there are some helpful tips.

You want to try to control the cards a little before turning around to ask the spectator to cut - showing them by actual example + the idea of abutting the card box like a "T" to the short end of ther cards... Forcing them to cut the long way.

This effect can have an 85- 90% success rate if you learn the little management methods and use them correctly.
SmithMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of SmithMagicMan
I got this, loved it, and made it work a lot of the time.

Then it started to go wrong, and I stopped using it, because I'm too scared to have it fail whilst I'm out performing.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
With proper management this is nothing to be afraid of - but I understand what you mean SmithMagicMan. I wouldn't be spooked as if you accept that this is an 85-90% success rate and explain in advance that this is an experiment rather than a trick... then the payoff is worth it for me anyway.

With poor audience management the spectator may:

1) Cut the wrong side/end

2) Look at the wrong card (look at the bottom of the cut-to stack card rather than the bottom card)

3) Cut to a card and flip through some extras to another card

There is always a chance that when one's back is turned that things can go wrong or the spectator won't listen to your instructions.

This effect REALLY depends on relaxed but firm advance directions (demonstrating exactly what you want) and taking nothing for granted in terms of slowly explaining to the spectator what you want them to do.

I generally have the spec cut while my back is turned - look at the bottom card - then put the card back FACE DOWN (not up) which for me creates more tension for the final reveal.

When done correctly this is one of the best and most unexplainable effects you will likely perform and people love it.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2012-02-21 13:35, SmithMagicMan wrote:
I got this, loved it, and made it work a lot of the time.

Then it started to go wrong, and I stopped using it, because I'm too scared to have it fail whilst I'm out performing.

The cards also need to be refreshed from time to time - I always do a refresh before a performance.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
I've been working with this for a few days now, and I think I'm just about ready to try it on a friendly audience. Smile

I'm interested in potential outs, though, in the unlikely event I need one. I'm particularly intrigued by the earlier suggestion that Kolossal Killer can be used as an out, and I'm thinking of buying Knepper's book. I have a couple of questions, though: Those who have used KK and X-Ray -- what's your opinion of having KK ready as an out? And would you need a special wallet to use KK as an out for X-Ray, or could you just use the methods described in Knepper's book, without any special wallet?

Thanks!

On another note: The cleverness of the second major part of X-Ray's method has really piqued my interest in mentalism. I think I may have to study some of that soon. Smile
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
...and I stopped using it, because I'm too scared to have it fail whilst I'm out performing.

Quote:
I'm interested in potential outs, though, in the unlikely event I need one. I'm particularly intrigued by the earlier suggestion that Kolossal Killer

Although I might be biased (still love and work with my solution unabatedly), I would not opt for KK as the best out. The reason is that you suddenly bring something else in play, which was not there before, had not been announced and has no direct connection to what you were showing.
Why the wallet?
What's the use of a prediction anyway which has not been mentioned beforehand?

For me personally, all this feels kind of unorganic (since X-Ray is so very much organic itself!) and has too much the flavor of an 'out'...
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Thanks, Nicolino. Yeah, I can see how KK as an out would have the same drawbacks you mentioned for ID as an out in the book (introducing another prop and turning clairvoyance into a prediction). Your own out, included in the book, is an intriguing solution. Maybe I need to find a copy of the book you recommended and study the...mentioned thing. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Shufton Harris X ray (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL