The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Linked-4-Life (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
A_Blake
View Profile
Loyal user
The Thoughtreader
220 Posts

Profile of A_Blake
Andy Leviss recently released his new linking rubberband routine called "Linked-4-Life". It looks like a great routine with one band permanently linked to another band.
Has anyone bought the manuscript and given a review?. The price isn't too bad but I want to know if it's really workable material?

Thanks! Success!!!

Tony Blake
Õ¿Õ¬
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16630 Posts

Profile of joseph
Here is a quick review:
Effect: You cleanly show 2 different color rubber bands, stretch one out, and touch the other band to it, and it visibly links to the stretched band, and both can be handed out to spectator!
I love rubber band tricks, and when I received this, and after reading the clear instructions, etc., I was doing it in about 1/2 hour, which means everyone else can do it in half the time. It is a very quick effect, but you can stretch (no pun intended) it to about 15 seconds. There are many linking band effects out there, but this is the best I have seen to date, since there are no tricky moves, etc. A perfect ice-breaker, opener, and highly recommended. 10/10 Smile Smile Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1178 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Thanks for the great feedback, Joseph! I'm anxious to hear what others think, so don't hold back!

I actually have a tip for those who have bought this. I got two e-mails today from people who bought it and have been having trouble making the linked sets, so I figured I'd post the same thing I sent them in case anybody else has had trouble.

I've found that most people tend to err on the side of too much glue, which is why I emphasized using the tiniest drop possible in the instructions. If you're having lots of trouble getting the ends to join, though, it's possible you're not using enough.

Try adding a little bit more glue--there's a balance to be found between too much and too little, too little won't make the rubber melt, too much and you'll end up with a fragile glue joint instead of a strong bond.

One trick that sometimes works is to put a bit of the glue on a piece of paper, and then very gently touch the end of the band to the glue (this is the way Dan Harlan teaches to make it on his video). You have to be careful to just barely kiss the surface of the glue, and not to actually dip the end in. This way you'll get an even, thin layer across the end of the band. It's very easy to use too much glue doing it this way, but you may find it easier to try.

In general, you may find it easier to start by erring on the side of too much glue, and then you can start working backwards and using a bit less each time until you get a perfect bond.

Also, make sure you're holding the bands together long enough for the bond to form before you roll them (5 seconds seems to be good in my experience), and that you're holding them as steady as you can. The bond should be strong at that point, but not entirely dry. Then wait at least 30 seconds before you tug on the bands to test the bond.

One other tip--make sure you're evenly spreading the glue on the entire cut end. If it doesn't, the joint won't hold up.

--Andy
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2741 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I just got this effect and I am sold. I'll admit that I have only tried it out on my wife and daughter but they tend to be my most jaded audience and they were blown away.

I generally restrict myself to mentalism but I can't seem to break the habit of occasionally picking up very visual close up. About half the time, I find out it isn't quite as visual as the ads or even videos make it seem. Maybe it's just when it's in my hands, I don't know. What ever the case, this is one I picked up quite quickly and instantly fell in love with.

Call me "Hooked-4-Life"
doofydafus
View Profile
New user
Oxfordshire, UK
45 Posts

Profile of doofydafus
Andy
Any British dealers you know of who stock this? Thanks.

Regards
Peter
MagiCat
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of MagiCat
This sounds very much like something I'd like, I perform CMH all the time.

Could this be used after CMH? Do the bands have to be different colors?

MagiCat Smile
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Quote:
On 2003-07-15 18:10, doofydafus wrote:
Andy
Any British dealers you know of who stock this? Thanks.

Regards
Peter

Andi Gladwin, the second half of A2 productions is from the UK Peter, so if you contact him I'm sure he'll help you out...

Tell him I sent you!

andi@andigladwin.co.uk
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1178 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
doofydafus,
As Montz mentioned, Andi and I do sell to the UK, but I haven't had a chance to ship stock over to Andi yet on this effect, so I'm filling those orders from here. True to our word, however, we're not charging extra for the shipping to the UK, since it's our fault, and not yours!

Otherwise, I don't know of dealers offhand, but I just sent a huge order to Murphy's, who is distributing to dealers for me. Ask your local dealer for it, and if they don't have it, you can ask them to order it for you from Murphy's (http://www.murphysmagic.com.

MagiCat,
You don't need to use two different colored bands, but it looks better that way (for the exact same reason that using bands of the same color makes CMH work, ie because the colors make the separation/link easier to see).

You could do it after CMH, but you'd have to do some sort of switch or addition. If you get the effect and have trouble working out a switch that works for you, e-mail me and I'll see if I can help out. I've done it a few different ways, both standing and seated, including a very bold switch while being burned by a video camera on a projection screen at the Magic on Manhattan convention in 2000!

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
sleightofhand1
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of sleightofhand1
I have finally got some bands to work as Andy mentioned in his post. I have not tried to see if they break apart or not, but hopefully they will stay together.
I found that cutting the bands at an angle did not work so I cut them straight, and it worked better.

Thanks again for the help Andy.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1178 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
No problem, I'm glad to hear you're having a bit more success with it! And thanks for sharing your experience, now that you mention it, I can see where the angle cut is a trade off--it gives a stronger bond since there's more surface area, but it's also harder to line things up right, since you're moving in two directions at once.

Be sure to let us know how things pan out once you get to try the effect out! :o)

--A
Chris Gold
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Chris Gold
Hello,

I just recieved this manuscript and was not impressed. I still think Michael Ammar's Crazy Mans Handcuffs is still the best value for your dollar.

Sorry guys, but $20.00 is just way to much to spend for another rubberband effect.
Chris Gold
TS Entertainment INC
Hollywood, CA
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1178 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Chris,
If I can be so bold as to ask what might be a silly question, if you feel $20 is too much to spend for another rubberband effect, why did you spend $20 on it? Nobody forced you to.

I'm sorry you don't like the effect, although I wish you would tell us what exactly about it you don't like, and not compare it to an effect that has nothing to do with it other than that both use rubber bands. That's like saying you don't like "The Coin in Bottle", and that you feel "ThreeFly" is a better value. They're two completely different effects, with nary a common factor aside from the prop used.

--Andy
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1460 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
I am still trying to make the linked sets and to no avail. I have at least did it 50 times. Andy I have tried all the info you have gave but still I can't get it to work.
I guess it is just me. I will keep working at it.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1178 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Hmm...that's weird that you haven't been able to get at least one set. You might want to try a different brand of glue, to see if maybe with a slightly different formulation you'll have better success.

If it makes you feel any better, I sat down to make a few sets last night, and for some reason or another, even though I was doing it exactly the same as I always have, and using the same container of glue I used last time I made some sets, it just wouldn't take, and I couldn't get one to bond. I finally just put it down and figured I'd try again tonight.
Lee Eccles
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Lee Eccles
Andy,

I've just got this manuscript. Thank you - this is the real work on this routine.

Lee
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1178 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Another thought for those having trouble making the linked set--make sure your scissors are clean before cutting the band. I think part of the problem I had last night was that I had recently used the scissors to cut open a foil packet of lotion, and there was some oily residue on the blade which managed to get on the band ends and my hands.
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
The one thing which had hindered me from buying this manuscript is probably the fear of never really using it because making the linked sets would be to difficult and time consuming.

Just as an idea, Andy, would you ever consider perhaps selling linked sets in bulk? I really believe that spectators enjoy keeping the linked sets as a souvenir (who wants a signed card?), but do to the tedious work involved I think that this would not only be difficult, but, as stated above, very time consuming. Just a thought.

Jakks
JoJo41
View Profile
New user
Honolulu, HI
46 Posts

Profile of JoJo41
The fact that not even a prototype is included was definitely a turn-off for me.
For others with more time and inclination to create their own stuff, I suppose it wouldn't be a problem.
For me, though, it's a definite problem.
If one were, say, the Martha Stewart of magic, I imagine it would be no big deal at all to cut your own rope for Professor's Nightmare, or to build your own reel for a ring flight, or maybe even stitch together your own top hat to produce the rabbit you hand-delivered in your animal lab.
There's just something about the "Some Assembly Required" mentality I have never liked.
And, candidly, I'm no good at it.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1178 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
JoJo,
That's why I went out of my way to make it clear in the ad that you got a DIY manuscript; I know there are people who are not willing to or interested in making it for themselves, and I didn't want them to expect to get something they weren't.

JoJo and Jakks,
The reason it's not included, and the reason I can't at this moment offer them for sale, is that manufacturing magic isn't my full time job, and doesn't make enough money to support me if I tried to make it that. To make a small pile of linked sets for my own performance takes a very little while while watching TV, as it would for anybody once taking a bit of time to practice the technique. Yes, there's a bit of a time investment to learn it at first, but once you get the knack down, it's fairly easy to do while you're watching tv, listening to the radio, etc.

The problem comes with scale, however. To make enough to sell would take up all my time, for relatively little return. Even if I made just one sample set for each manuscript, I'd already have had to make 300!

If I were to sell them in bulk, I'd have to make thousands. And that would take a lot of time. To be able to take that much time and still make enough money to survive, I'd have to charge so much that nobody would buy them.

I'll keep my eyes open to see if I can find another way to have them manufactured, and I'll certainly let you know if I do, but given the current method, it's very easy for somebody with a little practice to make as many as they need as they need them, but it's entirely impractical for me to end up making them in large quantities.

The best I can do is continue to make it clear to potential purchasers that there is "some assembly required", as with all other published methods for permanent linking bands (the exception of Anders Moden's very heavily gimmicked "Ebony and Ivory" noted), and know that those who aren't comfortable making their own sets won't purchase it, or at least will know what they're getting when they do.

--Andy

P.S.-I have offerred on occasion to make up a few sets for people who've purchased it on an individual basis. It's not something I can do on a large scale, but as time allows, I'm generally not adverse to helping folks out who contact me for a reasonable price (I'm not looking to make a huge profit off of linked sets, but I do need to charge enough to cover my time, since I also have to make sets for myself and work my regular job).

I can't make any guarantee that this offer will be available forever; if somebody asks every once in a while, that's one thing, but if I suddenly get a large flood of requests, I'm going to have to turn them away.
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
Ah, thanks for your consideration. I for one think you are probably the best, out of anyone I've seen, at handling questions or critiscism (check out my Card Thru Window thread in secret sessions to see what I mean Smile).

I will probabaly buy it in the near future, in spite of myself.....Do you think there will ever be a demo video?

Jakks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Linked-4-Life (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL