The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The ParaPad by ParaLabs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3351 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
A few months ago I placed my request for a great new offering by Thomas Heine & his partner Rainer Mees by ParaLabs in Germany.

Even with the diverse collection of imp. pads and p**k devices available today I feel the ParaPad has a number of qualities inherent within it that makes this product unique and of great value to the working professional, dedicated student and passionate hobbyist.

I've had my ParaPad for awhile now and really wanted to work it into my performances before I said anything about it. If my first impressions upon its arrival were any indication, this was already a Pad worthy of our attention and long term professional use.

There are so many things to love about the ParaPad, many of them already described here in other threads, and in words far better and more detailed than my own: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

A few things that stood out to me immediately -

1). The design is remarkable. We see many of the greatest "positive points" we love about other pads on the market also contained within the ParaPad, but taken to a new level of quality, ease of use and sophistication with this particular product, plus some NEW qualities (at least *new to me* as I've not seen them in other pads used for this purpose before this).

2). The supplied handling is extremely natural and above suspicion. It does exactly what it needs to do, and very VERY well I might add! The quality and clarity of the imp****ions leave nothing at all to be desired and have been perfect everytime (roughly 30 live performances so far, and I've been using it casually since then as well).

3). The ParaPad looks and feels like it should. I even performed the routine I'm using it with on a close friend and peer of mine who also happens to be one of my greatest (and thus most trusted) critics. The Pad looked and felt like a normal pad to him and in his hands withstood whatever close examination he could give it while still being busied with a performance.

In the hands of laymen there is little to no chance of exposing the gimmick or workings. The details and subtleties Paralabs has included regarding the handling of this tool makes it practically impossible for anyone to examine the Pad while they're holding and/or using it. When I first removed it from the packaging I had to flip it around a few times and look very closely paying special attention and leafing through the Pad before I knew what was going on with it. The workings are SLIM (thin) and cannot be felt...it looked and handled just like a normal pad of paper.

4). Refilling the pad is easy, natural and a lot faster than any other writing pad I've EVER used - and that says a lot.

The ParaPad is most definitely staying in my arsenal and I rank it up there with the very best on the market today. I like that it's a bit larger than the other pads of this nature and purpose, but still compact enough to carry - perfect for close up, parlour and stage work too!

I put in an additional 20-30 sheets in my Pad last Friday and it was a breeze, something that for being so simple I always managed to struggle a bit with before. It was fast, simple and made me breathe a sigh of relief. I like this feature A LOT.

5). Last but not least, it's immediately obvious that Thomas and Rainer have put a lot of love and thought into this pad (as with their other products, all of which I've seen from ParaLabs up to this point has been TOP NOTCH). The pad is simple but has a certain charm and elegance about it - not just method-wise, but the little details including the quality of materials used for the gimmick (the finest I've seen for this particular application) and the "Sherpa" sharpie cover which lend a sense of style, flair and elegance to the production without going overboard or being suspicious.

All in all, this is a great product and extremely well done. I have no problems recommending it and I would buy another one were anything to happen to the Pad I've got in my hands now. It's that good and something I feel will be getting A LOT of due attention and real world use by those in this forum very soon!

Best,
Jerome
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1157 Posts

Profile of r1z08
Thanks for this review, Jerome. Certainly piqued my interest and I placed my order. The folks at Paralabs certainly have some bright ideas. I look foreword to seeing this.

-rob
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Great to hear both you and Sean Waters approve of the ParaPad.

We (HeadHacking.com) are the sole UK supplier and our initial small stock of Pads just arrived. We have been lucky enough to work closely with ParaLabs on other projects in the last few years and were astonished by the quality of this device when we first saw it some time back.

Any padheads out there who want one let me know direct as they are not even on the website yet.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin
Hypnotism for Magicians
October 2013, London.
http://www.headhacking.com/training
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

For all those who asked, yes we ship worldwide.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin
Hypnotism for Magicians
October 2013, London.
Stefan O.
View Profile
Special user
614 Posts

Profile of Stefan O.
It is indeed a great prop! It looks and feels so innocent and still gives a cristal clear imp****** that can be pe***d in real time.

Definitely a winner!

Stefan
BRAND-NEW: "THE DWARFS" – the acclaimed FISM act finally on DVD!
http://www.stefanmagie.de/dwarfs.htm
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5208 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
The Parapad is the ONLY pad of its kind I use and trust.

And frankly there is no comparison with two other models I saw.
I suggest you to read... DIRECTIONAL MIND PATHS - Vol.1: Beyond The Veil Of Maya and also to read DANGEROUS - XXI Century Dual Reality Techniques
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1225 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Interesting... Thanks Y'all.
"Are you there ?" She asked...

" I have always been. " He whispered...

S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18
Member 17
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1435 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Another two thumbs up for the Parapad. Very clear impression, very inconspicuous pad, and a big leap in the evolution of this type of technology.

Rainer and Thomas are the consumate professionals and a pleasure to deal with,(as is Anthony, although I never dealt with him, I got my materials from Thomas)

This stuff is good enough to get handwriting pretty accurately.

Use the necessary materials also for impressions while the participant writes on a post-it note stuck onto your box of Bicycle cards/Tarot cards etc, clear, killer imps!!

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
1977 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I too am a user and fan of the ParaPad. Ironically, it is almost identical to the impression pads I've made for myself for quite some time. But the small differences result in a highly superior prop—easier to use, and with a clearer impression than anything I came up with. The attention to detail is remarkable, and results in a smooth, reliable, worry-free operation. I can give it no higher recommendation than this: I have given up making my own pads, and will now be using the ParaPad instead.
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
Thanks so much for your appreciation Jerome, Ant, Paolo, Stefan, Kam, Joshua, ...! Smile

As I wrote at another place:
We didn't reinvent the wheel for sure;
but many little improvements and modifications and the application of somewhat varying materials made a noteworthy difference ... for us!
If our work is of benefit and practical for other performers as well, we're dead chuffed about it.

If there are any questions regarding our work, feel free to ask.

Best
Th.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2370 Posts

Profile of Waters
I posted this link elsewhere, but here it is (again):

http://www.paralabs.org/basket/index.php?languageid=2

It is obvious that this product is getting great reviews/responses. There are reasons why (read above). This truly is a fantastic product.

Regards,

Sean
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
716 Posts

Profile of andykean
Is this the same as nomad pad?
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2370 Posts

Profile of Waters
Andy,

Here is what Thomas mentioned in another thread (after someone obviously PM'ed him a similar question):

(QUOTE)

The copy technique
Regarding the material we use to get the copy in our pad, there are two different alternatives on the market.
There is a cheaper one where the scattering of copies is wider by far than on the more expensive one.
As far as we know our pad is the only one using the expensive material.

The prepared area
We neither limit ourselves by using cheaper material nor we economize by preparing just more or less small parts of the sheet. For this we don't have to force special areas of the sheet to write or draw. We gimmicked nearly every inch of the pad so your participant is free to write or draw wherever she feels comfortable with.

The prepared Sharpie
Apart from the quality of the material we prepare the pads with, the diffusion/scattering of the copied image depends on the pen of course. It’s determined by the quality of the build in gimmick and its exact position (its distance to the tip/the sheet) in the process of writing. I guess we have pretty good Sharpies, …

The Binding
You can refill sheets of paper in almost any of the pads on the market.
But for us it was a fiddling-fidgeting most of the time to do it for real.
You can open our complete binding system in 2 seconds;
you can refill paper in another two seconds ...
... – and close the binding in 1.
So we have a 5 second refill.

Apart from this the common spiral binding (EVERY spiral binding) causes a side shift of every sheet or cover that is turned over.
This is caused by the nature of spirals – and you cannot avoid it.
Our binding system is different. Turning over sheets or a cover means that they will be placed exactly on top of the other sheets on the backside of the pad.
The advantage of this may be obvious.

The "Gimmick Hiding Technique"
The secret is hidden in almost any pad on the market - of course.
Some common techniques to hide it use sticky preparations.
Sticky preparations cause a smacking/squishing noise opening it.
This may be covered, or not being any problem at all in appropriate situations – but we didn’t feel comfortable with this. So we use a ... different technology caused by special coated surfaces to hide the secret.
The "sticking forces" are weaker than using any kind of glue;
but they are strong enough to do their job anyway:
To hide the secret during the required moments ...
... but to show us the secret easily during the peek.

The Cutting
The moment we close our pad is the moment we get the peek.
We just have to assure to close it the right way.
We don’t limited ourselves in preparing a pad with the secret material ...
... but in addition we used different lengths of sheets and covers to achieve an optimal handling in opening the right gaps at the right time.

The Paper
Well - I wrote some sentences concerning our special paper in my last post.

(END QUOTE)

-Sean
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-08-19 06:35, andykean wrote:

No;
there are similarities ...
... and there are differences.

The NoMad pad is a great product;
but apart from some different materials and constructions we use, we have also a different handling that fits more our personal necessities.

If you own the NoMad pad and read my remarks in the other thread you will know what I mean.

Best
Th.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
4002 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2010-08-19 06:35, andykean wrote:

Lol

Not really !
But it's also a pad, if you've to compare both, with something everybody know, one is a Porsche and the other is a Fiat panda.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... two of me is one too much ..
2378 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I would go for the Porsche, not only because it's made in Germany... Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
AlluTallu
View Profile
Veteran user
Finland
397 Posts

Profile of AlluTallu
Does anybody know how this compares to Psypher (Universal Impression 2)? They say that Psypher can get a clear impression through 10 pages.. If anybody has both, do they both use different "stuff" or different markers? Which are better?

Ps. I have already ordered the ParaPad
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
10152 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2010-08-19 10:55, AlluTallu wrote:
Does anybody know how this compares to Psypher (Universal Impression 2)? They say that Psypher can get a clear impression through 10 pages.. If anybody has both, do they both use different "stuff" or different markers? Which are better?

Ps. I have already ordered the ParaPad

well, we can't really go into the specifics can we...lets be sensible here..

in my opinion (i have the original UI) that its beyond comparison really...parapad trumps it massively...last night I used my parapad, went through 6 or so sheets, and I even tested it privated by writing on a defunct billet on top of those pages and still got what "was needed"
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
Quote:
Does anybody know how this compares to Psypher (Universal Impression 2)?

It sounds like Psypher and the ParaPad use the same principle and material. The difference being with the ParaPad you receive a nicely constructed gimmicked notepad and with Pyspher you receive a loose sheet of the material.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
10152 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Is that an informed opinion, or guess-work?

I think Thomas has been more than generous with the information he's shared...surely that's enough...he's even linked to another thread with more info in it...

lets respect the talents and not fish around or expect too much indepth explanation - otherwise why not just ask him to put up a youtube video of the entire workings?!

and again, as I said IN MY OPINION, as I HAVE BOTH, parapad infinitely superior IN EVERY WAY...
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

These guys have been honing this pad for years. I was blown away by a prototype two years ago. They also have a clear clipboard application. The only word that the guy I work with could think to write on it was 'Incredible'.

Currently we have a small supply of blue A6 Pads. We are expecting a small supply of black 3 x 5 inch pads in the next few days.

Still not on the headhacking website so contact me direct if you suffer from Pad 'Otaku'. I can help Smile

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin
Hypnotism for Magicians
October 2013, London.
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-08-19 11:26, sabitu wrote:

It sounds like Psypher and the ParaPad use the same principle and material.

OK, as clear as possible:
"The same principle" by means of physical principles.
"The same material" - NO.
Our material works on basis the same physical principles but it is different anyway!

Just to illustrate:
Take different jpg-images of the same size.
And imagine they have recognizable differences in their image resolution (DPI).
They all use the same physical principles to display the image.
But there are differences anyway.

Best
Th.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5208 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-08-19 11:26, sabitu wrote:
Quote:
Does anybody know how this compares to Psypher (Universal Impression 2)?

It sounds like Psypher and the ParaPad use the same principle and material. The difference being with the ParaPad you receive a nicely constructed gimmicked notepad and with Pyspher you receive a loose sheet of the material.

Thomas answered more politely and classier than what I'm going to do.

But I only do that BECAUSE - YOU Sabitu - in any thread I saw - seem to compare ANY imp device (Twitter, Nomad, etc.) with Universal Impression AS IF Universal Impression were the standard baseline to which to compare others against.

But... IT'S NOT.

The ORIGINAL Baseline would be - if we have to be honest - Lee Earle's Clone pad (first produced 23 years ago).

Period.

And the two copies of Universal Impression I saw in action were BELOW Lee Earle's standard (and other standards too). Smile
I suggest you to read... DIRECTIONAL MIND PATHS - Vol.1: Beyond The Veil Of Maya and also to read DANGEROUS - XXI Century Dual Reality Techniques
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-08-19 13:03, Lord Of The Horses wrote:

The ORIGINAL Baseline would be - if we have to be honest - Lee Earle's Clone pad

Right! Credit to Lee Earle!
Whereas we know the basic technology (again: the same basic technology / physical principles but different material!) from the KopyKat. But a credit to Lee Earle/Larry Becker is appropriate anyway, ... Smile

Cheers
Th.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5208 Posts

Thomas, but the KopyKat (not so great for a history of "crack binding" issues) was in fact something Lee Earle and Larry Becker put out - a decade or more AFTER the original Clone Pad. Smile

I know you know... but it's just some info for the people who erroneously believe and push some devices as being a new principle which has been found just few months ago... while it's not true because, to the best of my knowledge, Lee Earle was the first - more than 23 years ago! - to use that idea applied to an Imp Device. Smile
cryder
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of cryder
Didn't know this material. Thank's for the review and advices, quite convincing and helpfull.
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
Quote:
On 2010-08-19 13:03, Lord Of The Horses wrote:

Thomas answered more politely and classier than what I'm going to do.

But I only do that BECAUSE - YOU Sabitu - in any thread I saw - seem to compare ANY imp device (Twitter, Nomad, etc.) with Universal Impression AS IF Universal Impression were the standard baseline to which to compare others against.

But... IT'S NOT.

The ORIGINAL Baseline would be - if we have to be honest - Lee Earle's Clone pad (first produced 23 years ago).

Period.

And the two copies of Universal Impression I saw in action were BELOW Lee Earle's standard (and other standards too). Smile

I'm not sure why you think I compare any imp device to Universal Impression. Do you have me confused with someone else? This is actually the first time I have ever compared any imp devices on this forum. I'm well aware of the fact that Universal Impression is far from being the baseline in this area.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to downplay the ParaPad or infer that Psypher is better. I was just saying that I believe they both use the same material (the higher quality gray stuff, not green).
AlluTallu
View Profile
Veteran user
Finland
397 Posts

Profile of AlluTallu
Ok, thanks for your answers guys! I'm very happy that I ordered ParaPad since I'm sure it has potential to be the best and most practical Impression Device I own. I already own several Riggs' devices, Tommy Pad and The Sniper Pad. Riggs' devices are superior but I hate the common spiral binding (refilling is pain in the arse and the "side shifting" of sheets that have been turned over is annoying). If ParaPad has even nearly as good an impression quality as Riggs' devices, I know it will be one of the best tools that I have ever bought.

-Aleksi Hietanen
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5208 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-08-19 14:44, sabitu wrote:

Anyway, I wasn't trying to downplay the ParaPad or infer that Psypher is better. I was just saying that I believe they both use the same material (the higher quality gray stuff, not green).

Except that both copies I saw of that UI stuff weren't work that well.

AND the fact that PARAPAD does NOT use any GRAY stuff.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
10152 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yup - I've got the UI and parapad right here, the materials do not match at all in quality or colour...and I've not managed to get the UI working consistently, and not get "the necessary" through anything thicker than one sheet of paper..

certainly not through a wallet, and certainly not through a near dozen pages of paper either...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The ParaPad by ParaLabs (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.538313 seconds, requiring 106 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [6] [7] [5] [9] [6] [4] [0]