The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » People you practice on. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Habbrock
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Habbrock
I practice on my wife when I feel I have it down. She knows enought to catch flashes and is happy to see me do it again. I keep it to a minimum so I don't drive her crazy. Works good so far.
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
My daughter is pretty willing to help out. More than I need her for watching, I need her because she has to play the part of my audience "volunteer" while I'm rehearsing something that has participation by a spectator. It's particularly hard to practice the opening section of Pop Haydn's linking ring routine without somebody holding "Ring Number One."

I also chop her hand off now and then.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Spock10194
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
25 Posts

Profile of Spock10194
I practice initially in a mirror until I'm fairly confident that I can do something without giving anything away. Then I'll practice on my little sister (who absolutely hates things she doesn't understand and will sometimes try to steal my cards or whatever I'm using). If not my sister then my mom. After I successfully perform it for them I'll perform it for a girl I tutor in math, her sister, Hannah, who is a good friend of mine, and their mother. (Respective ages of 15, 19, and probably about 50). The final group is my favorite to practice on since they (especially Hannah) are generally absolutely delighted when the trick is over and only go as far as to ask me how I did it in attempt to find that out. (To which I of course reply, "Magic!")
aheads
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
188 Posts

Profile of aheads
I'm working on a whole new show from scratch. I've been practicing on my own, in front of a mirror and using a cam. After that I showed little bits to my wife to get feedback.

I changed some bits, improved others and felt that I had come so far that I could show it to selected others. I invited two friends over this evening to be the first outsiders and to treat it as a rehearsal rather than a practice. Everything went wrong. Everything. I wasn't nervous but I forgot elements of my story, missed a few moves, found loads of stuff that just didn't "flow" and feel now generally dispondent about the whole show. What I had in my head didn't come across at all.

Back to the mirrors and cam I think.
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream
wilcom629
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of wilcom629
Can't practise the MailBag Escape....my new Puppy absolutely freaks out. I just have to wait for some performances to work on elements. A little bit of flying by the pants but really exciting that way. As long as I get the audience on my side -just be myself - then the exact details of every effect don't have to be carbon copies of a rehearsal. I only have 4 years experience doing this - mostly for the local hospital and seniors facilities - so I wouldn't want my opinions to be regarded as the voice of experience BUT I do find that not having a carved-in-stone routine forces me to look up and out and engage everyone - and then I go from there.....so far so good
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Aheads,

I think you were nervous.

Practice, then try it again on other friends. There is no other way past this.

I've been terribly embarrassed by a couple of performances falling apart but it can be freeing.

I found out that the world kept spinning and I had very supportive friends.

After those experiences I've never been quite as nervous again.

Just like the best jugglers are the ones who are most willing to pick things up, the best Magicians are the ones who can get past the fear of being embarrassed.

It does get better.

-Mary Mowder
aheads
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
188 Posts

Profile of aheads
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2014, Mary Mowder wrote:
Aheads,

I think you were nervous.

Practice, then try it again on other friends. There is no other way past this.

I've been terribly embarrassed by a couple of performances falling apart but it can be freeing.

I found out that the world kept spinning and I had very supportive friends.

After those experiences I've never been quite as nervous again.

Just like the best jugglers are the ones who are most willing to pick things up, the best Magicians are the ones who can get past the fear of being embarrassed.

It does get better.

-Mary Mowder

Thanks for the support, Mary. I'm sure you're right. I have perfromed in front of thousands of people during the years, been thrown into situations where I am totally unprepared yet still hold my cool. I'm quite proud of never being flustered. This was the first time, however, that I felt unsure because I couldn't just "make it up" as I went along. I had marks to hit, timings to remember etc.

I think I was excited to show my new creation. I reminded myself of a kid showing off a new toy. I couldn't speak for the words falling out of my mouth. It was a strange experience. I've since tweaked, moved around and ironed out some wrinkles. I'll see how it feels next time I invite someone in.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2014, aheads wrote:
I'm working on a whole new show from scratch. I've been practicing on my own, in front of a mirror and using a cam. After that I showed little bits to my wife to get feedback.

I changed some bits, improved others and felt that I had come so far that I could show it to selected others. I invited two friends over this evening to be the first outsiders and to treat it as a rehearsal rather than a practice. Everything went wrong. Everything. I wasn't nervous but I forgot elements of my story, missed a few moves, found loads of stuff that just didn't "flow" and feel now generally dispondent about the whole show. What I had in my head didn't come across at all.

Back to the mirrors and cam I think.

This is exactly what test audiences are for. To educate you on where the areas of improvement are. This is a good thing.
Bob
aheads
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
188 Posts

Profile of aheads
Quote:
On May 9, 2014, Intrepid wrote:
This is exactly what test audiences are for. To educate you on where the areas of improvement are. This is a good thing.

True.

I have reworked a lot and now it's working. The bookings have started to come in too which is great news.
tvmikek
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of tvmikek
I'm working on a show right now and wondering if I should invite some friends over for dinner and then do the show for them in my home. They're all magic fans, so they might find it a fun evening.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Glad it worked out for aheads.

tvmikek,

They will probably love the show. Visualize the show going over great and your friends being entertained and happy.

Let us know how it turns out.

-Mary Mowder
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
I practice on my husband. He is always willing, but I mainly choose him because his memory is so bad that any secrets he spots are instantly forgotten so I can catch him out again next time. Smile

tvmike - good luck with the show. Sounds like a fun evening. Wish we could all come along. Smile
tvmikek
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of tvmikek
Thanks Mary and Sarah! I'm excited to try out the show this way because it's a bit more formal than saying "let me show you a few tricks...." If I can make it as close to the real show as possible, I can get a good sense for what works and what doesn't.

Since I work in the TV biz, I'm also considering recording the whole thing from different angles to see how it looks. That way, I can correct mistakes and weird performance things that don't come across well.

If I do that, I'd love to send you guys a link so you can tell me what you think!
pcrpttc
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of pcrpttc
I like to practice with my closest friend, which is my bedroom mirror Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Awww, Jean, that is so sad. But good for you for practicing in front of a mirror.

I get so uncomfortable doing that.

-Mary Mowder
Soniczjx
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Soniczjx
I practiced magic on my family member and my friends in college, and they don't care you flashed or not, they will not laugh at you(well some friends do that!), and they always give you some performing or timing tips, really good!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » People you practice on. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL