The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians » » Magic's digital issue? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of videoman
Eric,
Worth checking to see if your subscription can be exchanged for the digital version.
I'd give them a call if I were you.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
2616 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I hope they make that an option. Atbleast I've got the genii digital issues.
JonParis
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of JonParis
You can see a Mac King video of the new format on the Magic site http://www.magicmagazine.com/digital/
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Atco, NJ
6062 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I have fell in love with the digital version. What sold me completely was the videos and discussion by Jonie Spina on Presentation. This article alone was worth the $3.99 price.I also liked other articles. For the Card Magician, in addition to reading how to do a specific routine/trick, you can watch a video of it.

I emailed MAGIC and asked if I can convert my new subscription to the digital subscription. They agreed to send me back my money.

Right now I must purchase month by month, however, an annual online subscription will be available in the near future.

This month Jan 2011, is the first digital Magazine, future magazines will have added functions, this is new for MAGIC, and will improve as time goes by.

For those new to technology, get use to it because, this idea of TABLET (iPad and Clones) will be the next wave in mobile computer tech stuff. Get on board now.

My iPad with a ZaggMate Keyboard replaces my laptop for most of my needs. This Technology will kill Notebooks, and mini computers.

-Dennis
Dennis Michael, Atco, NJ (856)768-2281
Merenkov
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
The electronic version of Magic Magazine is fantastic; it's the future of magic magazines. As others have pointed out, this is much more than just a PDF of the physical magazine, it is an immersive experience. The publication can be navigated in an easy, non-linear way, and the addition of video is what really makes this a game-changer (magic is a visual art, after all). I've tried the digital copies of Genii on my computer, I appreciate the value Richard is trying to give his subscribers with all the back issues, but I find it clumsy and hard to navigate. To me it's unusable. Maybe the iPad version of Genii will be more user friendly? I would actually rather pay for back issues (assuming they were provided in the same easy-to-use format as the Magic Magazine for iPad), than get it for free in a format that is hard to use and look at.
Merenkov
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
As an addendum to my post above, I'd like to point out that I actually prefer the print edition of Genii over Magic Magazine, in terms of actual content. I'm a Genii subscriber (and let my subscription to Magic expire years ago). But I am blown away by what Magic Magazine is doing with the iPad (and its implications for the future).
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
2616 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I agree that this is the future and hopefully this will keep the magic magazine business a viable business for years to come given the reduced overhead that will likely come with the elimination or reduction of printing costs as more and more people migrate to digital only subscriptions (I will be one).

The addition of video in the talk about tricks section is a nice touch but they need to do a demo video of every trick/move before going into any explanations. Even if all they do is a demo video (eliminating any explanation videos) so we can see what the tricks/moves should look like, that would be great.

another nice addition would be demos of the tricks they review each month (performed by the reviewer not the stock MTV edited demos), but I'm assuming that would be a lot more work and data space.
Merenkov
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Eric, I agree with almost everything you just said. I wish the videos in the Talk About Tricks section were embedded in the page itself, like they did for the article on Mark Setteducati. I think it's just a more elegant-looking solution, as opposed to being taken away to a new frame to see the video. But this is also their very first electronic issue. I'm sure it is going to evolve over time. I wonder if the overhead truly will be less compared to print, when all is said and done. Because now they will have the overhead of video production (studio time, filming, editing, etc.). And they also have the additional software-related costs. To me, the iPad version of the magazine is worth more than the print copy, mainly due to the video content.
wilko7
View Profile
Regular user
UK
109 Posts

Profile of wilko7
If I got the digital version via iTunes on my pc, could I put it onto my iPhone to view on the move? Would it be functional ie video links, zoom in & out etc. This would be great for me.
Merenkov
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Wilko, the Magic Magazine app in the iTunes store was designed for the iPad and will only work on the iPad. Trust me, you wouldn't want to read it on an iPhone anyway. It's a beautiful app that takes full advantage of the iPad's 10" screen. You need to get yourself an iPad. Smile
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Special user
710 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
I just hope the android version follows as the Galaxy Tab has a big following in the UK and Europe
Matman
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Matman
Hello all
I just notice a small glitch when I updated the Magic Magazine app this morning. After I did the update and I wanted to 'view' the latest issue I purchased, the app says ther is an updated version of it. If I try to download the update, I get a download error. However, if I decide NOT to download the updated issue, everything works fine. So what I am saying is - if you are asked if you wanted to get an updated version of your latest purchse, just say no and you will still be able to view it.

I hope that made sense - I haven't had my coffee yet this morning.

Matt
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1563 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I've had the same problem. And yes, do not try to download the updated issue.
magicnorm
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
Question. I loaded the Magic Magazine on my IPad but have since upgraded to the IPad 2. Anyone know how to transfer the app. I've had now luck opening the issues I've purchased on my IPad 2. Any suggestions would be great.

Norm
shawn popp
View Profile
Loyal user
Denver
297 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
I have had the same problem as Matman and Bugjack. However I can't view any of my issues now. Even if I do cancel the update, I cannot view the purchased issues. Anyone know what's going on?
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1563 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I would try deleting the app, then loading it and then reloading the issues. (Actually, before doing that I would simply try deleting the issues and redownloading them. If you bought them the first time you won't be charged again -- even though the button says "Buy.")
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1244 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I love this new app, especially as Magic magazine sellers are few and far-between in Europe. The videos alone make it worth the cost.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Summer and Autumn 2013.
atkinsod
View Profile
Regular user
VA
137 Posts

Profile of atkinsod
Even though the Magic Magazine app is well done, I don't like the model. I prefer the "universal access" approach that will let me access my content on whatever device I have, whether it be iOS, Android, PC, MAC, or Linux. Programs like Calibre for e-Books help you to convert from one format to another, and even Adobe's PDF format has been made available for almost every platform (though it took many years for it to gain such foothold). I have Magic Magazines from the 1990's that I still go back to. Will I have my iPad in 10 years from now? Will iOS have progressed so far that it is no longer compatible with older apps? If you buy the magazine to read and toss, then the iPad approach is fine, but if you like to archive your material, it's not the best approach. I reminds me of the early days of "e-books" on the PC that were provided in executable format (.exe files). They would run ONLY on Microsoft PCs, yuck. I think Genii's approach to this will win out in the long run.
Robert P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Kansas
396 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
With Genii's approach, do you only have access to view the archived magazines online or are you able to save them to your computer?
equivoque
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Can anyone help me? I purchased the October 11 edition for the Ipad2 and it is marked purchased but when I try and download it the error message reads :"Cannot start the download because the file is missing or invalid." Can you pm me if you have a fix?

thanks!
Matman
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Matman
Has anyone tried the app with the new os? It seems to freeze on my iPad 1. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks - Matt
Merenkov
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Yep,I just get a gray screen now, can't find my previous purchased issues. Problem started after upgrading my iPad to OS 5.0, so I'm guessing the app is not compatible with 5.0.
stevekn
View Profile
New user
UK
45 Posts

Profile of stevekn
Same problem for me on ios5 on iPad 2. Hopefully a fix is coming soon. I'd also like to see Magic Magazine end up inr the news stand app so we can subscribe easily.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1563 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I'm reading my issues fine on my iPad 1 running iOS5.
Merenkov
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
I deleted the app and reloaded, and was able to open it an read my most recently purchased issue. Unfortunately, I lost at least one of my previously purchased magazines in the process, so this solution is not without risk.
stevekn
View Profile
New user
UK
45 Posts

Profile of stevekn
Got this helpful reply from Stan:

My understanding is that the MAGIC Magazine application runs fine with iOS 5.0.  However, in a few cases, backups have caused the app to fail.

Please delete and re-install the application, and all should be well.

If it asks you to purchase issues you already own, go ahead and select "buy."  A window will come up indicating that the App Store recognizes that you already own those issues, and you will then be able to download them for no charge.

Am trying this now
Matman
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Matman
I too reloaded the Magazine app. I too 'lost' one of my purchased editions. Is there any way to prove that we purchased the missing issue? Thanks.
michaangelo
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of michaangelo
Working great for me... I am looking forward to the possibility that the drop the price for pring subscribers!!!
eric50
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of eric50
I just got an amazon fire tablet and they have a magazine newsstand, I would love to be able to buy the latest magic magazine there. I originally bought my iPad just to see what the new digital version of magic would look like.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
2095 Posts

Profile of jprace
I got an email this morning saying the December iPad issue was online. Is it working for anyone?
The Silencer is here!
Watch the Trailer!
www.JeffPrace.com

Catch me on YouTube
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians » » Magic's digital issue? (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.142434 seconds, requiring 82 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [2] [2] [3] [3] [9] [5] [0]