The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Best packet trick of all time (58 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..10..13..16..19..22..24~25~26 [Next]
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
The only gimmicked packet trick I actually perform is "Bring me the head of a packet trick". I did replace the cards with white back revelation, and a different face switch-out.
For non-gimmicked I like to switch between Oil and Water, or Reswindled.
I do not know where to find it, but if I could, Juan Tamariz's "Four blue cards" would most likely be my choice.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1669 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Simon Lovell mentioned a video of him performing 'What Your Future Holds' ealier in this thread. I was curious so went looking for it. Here's the link for those interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMIH90IGCqM

Simple, but very entertaining.

Marty
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2010-12-12 14:08, Jon Allen wrote:
...She is also on the trailer for Flexion. Ask her if she still has the bent key.

She does indeed John and still talks about the experience! Alas, the effect and not your good self! Smile
murrari
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of murrari
Randy Wakeman's 'Back To The Future' is a fantastic packet trick
Andrew Murray
M.I.M.C. Gold Star
AndrewMurrayMagic

DON'T WAIT FOR INSPIRATION is my brand new e-book with 10 new routines.

APTITUDE is my first PLATINUM e-book with 10 new routines + 'SIGNS' bonus.

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP is available here.

DNA
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:
On 2010-12-20 06:49, Roger Kelly wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-12 14:08, Jon Allen wrote:
...She is also on the trailer for Flexion. Ask her if she still has the bent key.

She does indeed John and still talks about the experience! Alas, the effect and not your good self! Smile

Rohger, I'll take that! If they want that experience, they have to book me anyway Smile

Back to packet tricks...
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
It's been said before in this thread, but "best" depends on what you like. There isn't one "best" effect for everyone. I think most of us understand that but I'm reiterating it.

Last night I tore the apartment apart looking for a "packet trick" (I don't like that term... sounds so trivial). I found it in my old magic briefcase. It's R. Paul Wilson's "Gypsy Monte 2003".

After 20 years as a hobbyist, I left magic for mentalism because I got bored, and I got tired of people watching an effect I'd spent hours perfecting only to tell me, "that's cute." While I perform with a funny, human tone, I also want moments of silent astonishment and emotional impact.

Maybe the reason the term "packet trick" bothers me so is that they ARE inherently trivial. But judge this clip for yourself and see why I like Gypsy Monte so much. It isn't for every venue, but I reserve it for appropriate occasions.("Gypsy Monte 2003 has a kicker ending you won't find on this earlier clip). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL7QR9Qtxt0

The trick comes with an extra advantage... no one asks afterwards, "Will you do my five year old's birthday party?"
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Pity on the same link page the effect is exposed, Mike.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
As frustrating as that is, it doesn't matter. "Gypsy Monte 2003" has a stronger, unexposed ending that makes it worth purchasing.

I've posted a comment on the exposure video's page: "Why would you expose this? I've lost respect for you. May the ghost of Vernon return to give you a full handed slap and a wedgie.

What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly..."
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1669 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Although 'Gypsy Monte 2003' one of the best published alternative handling for Color Monte, I found the instructions for the ending disappointing and very vague. I was expecting something better from Paul. I wouldn't buy the trick just to get the additional ending in retrospect.

The quality of the supplied cards is also very poor. Better to learn this one from his 'Knock 'em Dead' DVD (plus you get a load more magic for your money) and source some cards from elsewhere.

Marty
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
Use the Gipsy Monte as delivered by Card-Shark. The quality is awesome, there are nine cards all changing and the routine from Pete Kane is superior.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Quote:
On 2010-12-24 09:17, abrell wrote:
Use the Gipsy Monte as delivered by Card-Shark. The quality is awesome, there are nine cards all changing and the routine from Pete Kane is superior.

The 9 card version is a completely different effect with the same name. Gypsy Monte (2003 or otherwise) uses three cards in play. Isn't the 9 card Peter Kane version basically Wild Card with antiqued cards? It's been a few years since I've handled it.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
The Kane routine was called "Gypsy Curse" not Gypsy Monte. It uses eight cards not nine and whilst the effect may be the same as 'wild card' with oversize old style cards, the handling is superior in that the backs and fronts of all cards are shown in a fan at the conclusion.
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Kane`s Gypsy Curse has always been my favorite followed by Done With Mirrors which easily follows into an explanation of how we do our tricks, but there is one little known & strange packet trick that baffels and stirs the conversation afterwards and that is The Case of the Missing Hat. Love it!

Have fun & MERRY CHRISTMAS!
John
Nothing is better than more.
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
Quote:
On 2010-12-25 12:52, ropeadope wrote:
there is one little known & strange packet trick that baffels and stirs the conversation afterwards and that is The Case of the Missing Hat. Love it!

Would that be Paul Currys effect? It's in the book "Worlds and beyond" but my copy is on loan to a colleague so I can't check to be sure. Great effect anyway.

Mikael Johansson
sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well (Donald Duck)
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Yes it is Paul Curry`s effect. Have never had the book you mentioned, but sounds like the same one I learned, from another of his books; "Magicians Magic". Saved his best trick in the book for last except his original O.O.T.W.

Have fun,
John
Nothing is better than more.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
NFW
Double Back
Twisted Sisters
Intuition and Out of the Blue (combo)
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Max, those first 2 are without question great and I'd add in B'wave and then you'd have 3 real giants that are hard to beat.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Count Zapik
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
205 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
I'm sure Double Back is good~ I don't do it, although I have seen it and can imagine how it works.
What does it have over say the two card monte effect- where two black aces change into two red queens as popularised by David Blaine on one of his specials a few years back?
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Double Back is much better than the Blaine trick which is basically the old Dr. Daley Trick. Double Back is the Daley Trick on steroids because you can show the cards up to the last moment in your hands as the other cards before they magically change places.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Quote:
On 2010-12-30 02:45, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
NFW
Double Back
Twisted Sisters
Intuition and Out of the Blue (combo)

Quote:
On 2011-01-06 14:38, Mb217 wrote:
Max, those first 2 are without question great and I'd add in B'wave and then you'd have 3 real giants that are hard to beat.

Twisted Sisters and B'wave are both great but wouldn't you have to pick one or the other?
Wes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Best packet trick of all time (58 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..10..13..16..19..22..24~25~26 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL