The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Wedding ring and coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jhudsy
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of jhudsy
Part of the answer to this question is obvious, but here goes anyway.

Since getting married, whenever I do a french drop, the coin makes a noisy clunk on my wedding band. I've been unable to change my technique to make this clunk vanish. It's annoying as I have to remove my ring before doing a FD before an audience. Does anyone have any suggestions on overcoming this problem?
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Been very happily married for 21 years and this is the reason that I have not worn my wedding band for most of that time! Too much noise.

That said, I have know several magicians who wore multiple rings, some quite large and somehow managed to avoid the errant 'clink'!

One thing I did for years was to wear my ring on a gold chain about my neck, but there you go......

One strategy you might try is to have a nice little ring and string routine. Start with that and then keep the ring off while you do your other stuff and then replace at end of set.

Best,
Brad Burt
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I sometimes start a coin routine using my ring. Especially if I want to do spell bound and multiple coin rolls on each hand. Though I can do them with the ring on it is easier with it off.

Example..ring turns into a coin..which morphs into a different coin..that morphs you guessed it back into my wedding ring. Production of one of the other coins which morphs into 2nd coin..which morphs into an egg or muffin or other things I find at different venues.

Harris
married to my best friend and nearly normal wife Annie (who along with her other wonderful qualities has an undergrad degree in speech and theatre)
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Honestly I think this probably comes down to practice and control.

I've taken to wearing my wedding ring regularly again since acquiring a PK ring and I did have to minorly rework a handling or two but it didn't seem that hard.

Ofcourse the other thing to do is just to talk over the clink Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
The FD is one of the first sleights I learned, and I use it constantly, but really hadn't thought about it much in all this time. You made me stop and look at what I was doing.

I discovered that when the coin is released, it rolls along the pads of the second segment of each finger, coming to rest on the end segment of my little (pinkie?) finger, where it's just natural for the ring finger to push it into a center palm position. It never really comes near the ring at all.

I do remember it talking at some time in the distant past, and there must have been a correction made at some point.

Which sort of reinforces Cyberqat's advice: Practice and Control

Maybe varying the tilt of the hand will give you some clearance.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
You can find several treads on this in the coin sections. Just search "ring".

It pretty much boils down to this:

Adjust your technique to avoid the ring talking. If you can't take it off. However, never take it off in front of you audience without a motivation.

Also, if you can adjust your technique, the click can be to your advantage when the audience thinks the hand has two coins but only has one.
Wes
jhudsy
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of jhudsy
Thanks all, I guess the consensus (unsurprisingly) is either to take the ring off (as part of another effect if possible), or to practice until it's not a problem.
PenEnpitsu
View Profile
New user
Southern California
36 Posts

Profile of PenEnpitsu
Why don't you execute the French Drop with your other hand? I had to switch because I want to use my t*p**.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I am curious jhudsy, are you left or right handed? I am right handed and I hold the coin in my right and take with my left so the coin falls on my right middle and third finger. I assume you wear your band on your left hand. Maybe I do it backwards from most people. I never noticed.

Anyway, I tried it with the opposite hand and still it falls on the second pads of the middle and ring finger and does not hit the ring.

So I looks like you just need to adjust where the coin hits is all.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
PenEnpitsu
View Profile
New user
Southern California
36 Posts

Profile of PenEnpitsu
That's surprising. I thought right handed people liked taking with their right hand.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I really don't know.
I would like to see how most left and right handed people execute the move.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
BarryTX
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of BarryTX
Quote:
On 2010-09-16 16:57, slyhand wrote:
I really don't know.
I would like to see how most left and right handed people execute the move.

I would also, as a novice trying to learn to be ambidextrous with some moves including the FD. For me, I am right-handed but do the FD with my left hand. Seemed natural enough when I started to learn it, maybe because my dominant hand is the one I'm showing to the folks watching after executing the FD. Or maybe I just copied exactly what I first read on how to do it....
jhudsy
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of jhudsy
Hi Slyhand,

I hold the coin in my left hand in preparation for the FD, grabbing it with my right. I'm what has been described as ambi-clumsy; I tend to do different moves with different hands, for example, I do the tenkai palm with my right. I'm trying to learn the FD with my left, but it'll take time to get as natural a look as I have with my right.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I write and hold a fork with my left hand, most everything else right handed. For the FD, the left hand is the holding hand and the right is the "taking away" hand.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
MT
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of MT
That's a great question. YOu might want to wear your ring on the other hand.
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
I have exactly the same issue and I agree it's a pain. In the spirit of "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade", "when life gives you a ring, do a click pass"... you can use the ring to do a click pass with one coin, when you're 'putting' with the right hand. It's a small thing but fun, and it works both ways - click means coin, so absence of click means absence of coin, right? I find it's more of a problem when the ring slips up the finger a little bit. I generally push the ring right down before starting a coin routine, that way the pads at the base of the finger project enough that even if you mess up, it probably won't click. If you try it with your hand a little curled, and look at your fingers from the side, even a small shift of the ring makes a huge difference to the amount of 'pad'.

There's a few other advantages; you'll always have a prop for ring and string, you have a good excuse for a PK ring, you'll always have something to float with IT if you're into that. My wife kind of objects to my using the symbol of our eternal commitment as a prop though. Smile

I hope you find a way around it...!

"If life gives you lemons, do a cups and balls routine".
StephenP
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of StephenP
Luckily don't have this problem but can see how it'd be a pain. After I misplaced my expensive band a couple of times, and my wife realized she wasn't crazy about the way her ring actually felt on her hand, we agreed to tuck them away for safekeeping.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Wedding ring and coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL