We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Wow 1.0 or Wow 2.0 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
popcalinda
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of popcalinda
No no, there is double WOW for sure! I will ask him to send me photos so you guys can check. As I understand some Russian magician is making that double WOW. Will keep you informed...
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-09-18 13:41, popcalinda wrote:
No no, there is double WOW for sure! I will ask him to send me photos so you guys can check. As I understand some Russian magician is making that double WOW. Will keep you informed...

Well, if there is he had better NOT call it WOW!
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2102 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
WOW WOW? Smile

Do you have the face up version, gaffed?
Magic comes through perception. -HS
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-09-18 14:03, Failed Magician wrote:
WOW WOW? Smile

Do you have the face up version, gaffed?

I have the original face up version with a non-gimmicked sleeve and I just recently got the face down WOW 2.0 version. I haven't messed around too much as of yet with the new one. The face down version certainly has its applications but I personally think the face up version (the original one) is much more visual. I imagine it has something to do with the face up version (a playing card having a white background) and being much easier to see. However, it all really depends just on what kind of routine you want to do. I'd highly recommend getting the accompanying DVD by David Penn and Craig Petty from World Magic as they have some great routines for using the WOW 2 (face down).
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
saysold1
View Profile
Inner circle
Recovering Cafe addict with only
9975 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Thanks for all the info - I just want to say that if some Russian magician is copying Masuda's effect with a double WOW or whatever (can we call it LOW) I just can't endorse or support lame copies or rip offs.

There are so many copies of this on Ebay and it makes me sick.

My understanding is that Masuda uses some kind of laser (prining?)to get the alignment perfect, which is what makes the visual so smooth and precise.

Now that I have the face down I could end up with a face up too - I agree that the visual up may be more appealing.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2102 Posts

So there are two versions of DVD companion? As I'm aware, Chris Ballinger also made a companion DVD.

What is the function of the ungimmicked sleeve beside for switching?
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-09-18 22:56, Failed Magician wrote:
So there are two versions of DVD companion? As I'm aware, Chris Ballinger also made a companion DVD.

What is the function of the ungimmicked sleeve beside for switching?

I wasn't aware that there was another DVD available for this!
As for the un-gimmicked sleeve, yes, just if you feel the need that a switch is necessary, or to simply do a switch and casually lay it down as I have done in the past. Also, if you do an AC routine the un-gimmicked sleeve is used to make a sandwich on the deck, i.e. the gimmicked on top and the other on the bottom and then a rubber band around the deck.
~Yogi Berra~

Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2102 Posts

From this link: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=2132 it is said the DVD will feature Chris Ballinger's Color Changing Deck. I saw no Penn or Petty in the demo so I can safely assume this is done by Chris, BUT I might be wrong.
popcalinda
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of popcalinda
I got info, some Russian magician Bastrakov has 3 time changing sleeves, plus you get some extra plates to insert in sleeve for extra effects... I heard price is 50 euros and can buy only on congresses. Do not now real name of that gimmick...
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2102 Posts

So he has it as he made it? Or he has it because he purchased it somewhere? Anyone selling their face down WOW? Smile
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-09-19 09:33, Failed Magician wrote:
So he has it as he made it? Or he has it because he purchased it somewhere? Anyone selling their face down WOW? Smile

Here ya go. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=76&3
~Yogi Berra~

gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-09-19 01:39, Failed Magician wrote:
From this link: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=2132 it is said the DVD will feature Chris Ballinger's Color Changing Deck. I saw no Penn or Petty in the demo so I can safely assume this is done by Chris, BUT I might be wrong.

Whoops! Sorry, my mistake. The DVD by Chris Ballinger is the DVD that comes with WOW 2.
The other companion DVD by David Penn and Craig Petty comes with WOW 2 if you purchase it from World Magic, or it can be purchased separately from World Magic only.
~Yogi Berra~

Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2102 Posts

That's ok.

So buying from World Magic will give use two DVD's? Marvelous!
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 08:06, Failed Magician wrote:
That's ok.

So buying from World Magic will give use two DVD's? Marvelous!

I'd still check with World Magic first. I pre-ordered mine (before the face down version was released) and the offer was that the Craig and David DVD would then be included. Obviously this is no longer a pre-order as it is now out. However, in the description at World Magic it still says: This comes complete with a DVD and two gimmicks. In addition, if you pre-order it from us we will give you absolutely free, an additional DVD by Craig Petty and David Penn with their awesomew WOW 2 routines. This DVD would normally be £10 but you will get it free by ordering now.

The description of two gimmicks is a tad misleading. It is actually nothing more than the WOW sleeve with the additional stick on sleeve if you so wish to use it that way. If you place that on then it will be exactly as the original WOW (face up) is except for it being nothing more than a face down version. I hope I described that correctly. For those that have the original face up version you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Smile
~Yogi Berra~

Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
883 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
I have the original, and I have no idea what any of you are talking about. Don't know if it really matters, I do not like the face down thing. I think it brings too much heat on the sleeve, and serves no purpose. But that is just me. I love the original. Only problem is, my routine only works with the 9 of Diamonds version. So if anyone has a 9 of Diamonds original WOW they don't want, PM me. Smile) Maybe we can work a deal, and you can purchase the upgrade.

So is the Face Up WOW 2.0 the same as the original? If it is not, you don't have to tell me the difference, or you can PM me and let me know anything. This is one of those props I would like to purchase multiple copies of, but if I can't get the original it will do me no good.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 23:21, dinger136 wrote:
I have the original, and I have no idea what any of you are talking about. Don't know if it really matters, I do not like the face down thing. I think it brings too much heat on the sleeve

Why on earth would the face down version bring any more heat on it as opposed the face up version??
Make no mistake about it, as I love the original face up version, but I fail to comprehend your reasoning?

Quote:
So is the Face Up WOW 2.0 the same as the original?

Yes, except it does not have the sleeve part attached to it as the original where the card is slid in unless you wish to place it on. (which I chose to do) If you do that it is exactly like the face up version aside from it obviously being face down.

Quote:
Only problem is, my routine only works with the 9 of Diamonds version.

Why must it be the 9 of diamonds? Unless perhaps you are using a 9 of diamonds force deck, but then again, force decks are cheap and if you’re having the card signed you’ll eventually run low!
~Yogi Berra~

zhoudumu
View Profile
Regular user
philadelphia
172 Posts

Profile of zhoudumu
I do not know why you say that. On the contrary, I think the face down version has much less heat than face up version. Because it is in ambitious routine, you have a great excuse to bring it out to prevent you control the deck. And all heat should be in the card and the deck. When they check the card it is perfect time to take out the sleeve or switch to ungimmick one.
That is why I like face down better than face up version. After I saw orignial wow, I do not want to buy it because of the heat issue. But now definitely I will get the face down one. And also it has much more applications than face up version. That is why world magic shop can make a dvd for it
[quote]On 2010-09-20 23:21, dinger136 wrote:
I have the original, and I have no idea what any of you are talking about. Don't know if it really matters, I do not like the face down thing. I think it brings too much heat on the sleeve, and serves no purpose.
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
883 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Let me qualify some points about my opinion.

1. I use the 9 of Diamonds, because the routine I use it for would not work with anything but the diamonds. This is specific to my routine/patter.

2. I do not do a visual change with WOW, and the card I place in the sleeve is the same one that is at the end. I use it for an appearance of a selected card, in marker on the face. I think the way the routine is developed I have taken the heat off of the sleeve. I introduce it as a "gag" prop, and it is being used to facilitate the storyline of the effect. In the end, I believe they care more about inspecting the card. Since I have done this, I have never had anyone ask to see the sleeve.

3. As far as the Ambitious routine, I just don't like it for the effect. It feels much more forced to me, then say using Daryl's rope idea. The object is still foreign, and seems "magicy" to me, something I tried to get rid of in my routine.

Gaffed, I think I understand what you are saying about the sleeve. I do place the card in, so I would want that capability.

I will have to watch the video of the face down version again. Because I live in an area where there is NO magic for over 90 miles, I don't get to see anything in person anymore, and watching video of an effect is not my cup of tea anymore.

Thanks for the clarification and the inputs.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
zhoudumu
View Profile
Regular user
philadelphia
172 Posts

Profile of zhoudumu
For the face up version, you definitely can make a storyline to take out the heat.
You maybe do not like the wow ambitious routine effect, but speak of the heat it is much better than the face up version. First you do not put the card into the sleeve separately.It is now just a cover for the whole deck. Moreover after the amazing ambitious routine everyone should focus on the deck, so when you introduce the sleeve still all heat is in the deck. After the effect everyone should check the card and the deck. You can easily get rid of the sleeve.
Daryl's rope idea is very good, but it can not be that easy to get clean. That is what the advantage of the wow.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Those that shy away from the original WOW (face up) for fear of someone suspecting the gimmick/sleeve just aren't bothering to use their imaginations. Seems as though everyone wants a quick, grab and go effect. I, personally, think that this is such a good effect that you simply have to sit down and think of various ways to justify using it, and they are there if you simply take the TIME!

For sometime I used a Himber wallet with an un-gimmicked sleeve, and may continue to do so as I've not performed it for awhile. I'm not going to get into my routine, but suffice to say that at the end I would simply and casually lay down the un-gimmicked sleeve after I was through and you would be surprised how many people never bothered to pick it up!
~Yogi Berra~

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Wow 1.0 or Wow 2.0 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.45 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL