The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pocket Money - Wayne Dobson (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Looking forward to getting mine. Ordered today with Paul at hocus Pocus. He has a few more in stock! Free shipping when
You order! This can be a pretty good mentalist routine. I'm thinking of combining it with a few Max maven ideas.
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
benmagic1
View Profile
Regular user
London
182 Posts

Profile of benmagic1
Mine arrived yesterday and I love it ! To answer a question back a page it is the same as coin unique but with one big difference, coin unique doesn't work for this, due to how this coin is made. The magnet is so much stronger and it won't get wedged in the shell, so pocket money works every time and you cannot see the gimmicking in any way.

Very good trick !

Ben
Sussex/Kent/Surrey Wedding Photographer and Magician. Ben's Photography
Surrey/Sussex/Kent Magician
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
I was actually coming on here to ask about the name of the Chinese coin. I'm likely over-thinking this, but it seemed odd to me, even upon first viewing, that he named all the other coins, but for the Chinese one, just said, "A Chinese coin."

From a couple of statements above, it seems like it's not even a real coin. That's a shame. While I don't think I'll be normally performing for people who know Chinese currency, you can never know what knowledge spectators have, and for the price of this I would expect an actual coin. It's easily remedied, so not that big a deal, but a shame. What would it have cost them to get a real Chinese coin - a few cents?

I still think this will go over well, and really like the touch about putting the pouch in the pocket as well - thanks for that.
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1550 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
Here is a better updated demo. Also I never liked the way this was originally presented by spelling out the different type of coins. This is a much better way to present this effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9cW5bNeU......ShM8A3pw
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Magicalos
View Profile
Special user
557 Posts

Profile of Magicalos
I love this trick!! bought it from mark mason at magi fest, been flooring people with it!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2014, barts185 wrote:
I was actually coming on here to ask about the name of the Chinese coin. I'm likely over-thinking this, but it seemed odd to me, even upon first viewing, that he named all the other coins, but for the Chinese one, just said, "A Chinese coin."

From a couple of statements above, it seems like it's not even a real coin. That's a shame. While I don't think I'll be normally performing for people who know Chinese currency, you can never know what knowledge spectators have, and for the price of this I would expect an actual coin. It's easily remedied, so not that big a deal, but a shame. What would it have cost them to get a real Chinese coin - a few cents?

I still think this will go over well, and really like the touch about putting the pouch in the pocket as well - thanks for that.

I completely agree, they cheaped out on the Chinese coin. But as you said, not difficult to replace.
You could even just use a large washer from the hardware store. Create a storyline that makes it's inclusion interesting. Maybe say how some folks used to try and use them as slugs in vending machines during the depression or something. Anyway, shouldn't be too difficult if you give it some thought. Maybe they don't even need to be all coins, include a key or two, or whatever. Just saying it's okay to think outside the box. I don't think it has to be strictly just a coin trick.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
@barts185:

I have never purchased any coin set or effect that included real Chinese currency. First off, what we commonly call "Chinese coins" are usually replicas of Japanese coins, not Chinese. The so-called Chinese coins that come with the standard CSB sets, the cheap plastic coins from Sterling with a dragon on one side, the Johnson Chinese coins, the Tango Brass Chinese coins... none are real currency and all resemble Japanese coins. So I don’t see your complaint that Mark should have included real Chinese currency as valid.

All that said, the so-called Chinese coin provided is pure junk! It appears to be something I have purchased called Fung-Shui coins - extremely thin replica coins or medals that seem to be made from what is ocmmonly called "white metal"; they can break easily. I immediately replaced mine with a Tango brass "Chinese" coin and it's perfect.

Jim
S-Branham
View Profile
Elite user
Folsom, CA
456 Posts

Profile of S-Branham
I went to the money exchange stand while I was at the Washington DC airport and got real coins from different countries and replaced almost all the coins in my set. It makes the effect and my patter seem more legit.

~Steve
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Well, there are two that you must keep... that leaves three you can change out. Of course I imagine that you can add coins to the mix if you wish. Just extends the prediction phase I guess.

Jim
airztonne
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of airztonne
They are "chinese" in the sense that in olden days people in china used to link coins with a hole through a string for easy carrying, but that's decades ago. Real china coins do not have a hole any more but is less iconic I guess.

I mean, no one will know what a "Hong Kong Coin" looks like, and if you take a Singapore coin and say "A coin from HK" the audience probably will not have the chance to get a close look at the coin to call you out.

That said... I really like this effect! Too bad its way out of my budget though... but I can only imagine what the spectator will be thinking when the 5th coin dissapears!
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2014, J-Mac wrote:
@barts185:

I have never purchased any coin set or effect that included real Chinese currency. First off, what we commonly call "Chinese coins" are usually replicas of Japanese coins, not Chinese. The so-called Chinese coins that come with the standard CSB sets, the cheap plastic coins from Sterling with a dragon on one side, the Johnson Chinese coins, the Tango Brass Chinese coins... none are real currency and all resemble Japanese coins. So I don’t see your complaint that Mark should have included real Chinese currency as valid.

All that said, the so-called Chinese coin provided is pure junk! It appears to be something I have purchased called Fung-Shui coins - extremely thin replica coins or medals that seem to be made from what is ocmmonly called "white metal"; they can break easily. I immediately replaced mine with a Tango brass "Chinese" coin and it's perfect.

Jim

J-Mac,

Thanks for that info - I really didn't know that. Not being familiar with Chinese coins myself, when someone said something was a Chinese coin, I actually thought it was a Chinese coin.

I actually thought about just saying it was a token of some sort. Does anyone know what the symbols on the coin mean?
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Has anyone thought about replacing the bag with a somewhat thicker or stiffer material?

I do the part that was suggested here (and again - thanks for that) where I hand the spectator the bag to put into their pocket as a way to prevent them discovering that there are only 2 coins left early. I actually fold the bag over, letting the quarter slide down a little from the bottom, and cover the quarter with my hand, making sure that they only have the top / bottom edges to grab so shouldn't feel the quarter. Today, someone took the bag exactly as I wanted, but then unfolded the bag and laid it in their hand before putting it into their pocket. They still didn't feel the quarter, but that's the first time that's happened to me, and it made me think that if the bag was made of a thicker or stiffer material, that it would be even less of a chance for the spectator to feel it.
reed kammerer
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of reed kammerer
I say the symbols mean made in Japan.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2014, reed kammerer wrote:
I say the symbols mean made in Japan.

:bg:

Quote:
Has anyone thought about replacing the bag with a somewhat thicker or stiffer material?

Yes, I thought about that too, though I don’t know exactly what to use. I have quite a few similar bags but none seem to be any thicker. Also, I forgot to ask someone to empty out their pocket first the other day, and they didn't think to say anything when they put the coins in their pocket. Gave me a real "Uh-oh" look when I asked for them to remove only two coins. He ended up having to empty his pocket then and man was it ever filled with stuff!

That won't happen again!

Jim
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
For the bag, I was thinking along the lines of a small leather drawstring bag / pouch.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Saw Mark Mason demo this a few times at Magi Fest. I was on the fence about it a few times but ultimately opted against it. The chinese coin that comes with it is super cheap. Not a huge deal but for the price, they should have included high a high quality coin. My biggest issue is the lack of ending. A friend of mine bought one and has had buyer's remorse ever since. The concept is nice. I just think it needs to be fleshed out better
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I bought this at a convention two week's
ago from Mark Mason.He is a excellent demonstrator.
I really like the effect.
Todd
corindaman
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2014, emyers99 wrote:
Saw Mark Mason demo this a few times at Magi Fest. I was on the fence about it a few times but ultimately opted against it. The chinese coin that comes with it is super cheap. Not a huge deal but for the price, they should have included high a high quality coin. My biggest issue is the lack of ending. A friend of mine bought one and has had buyer's remorse ever since. The concept is nice. I just think it needs to be fleshed out better

I think the ending Mark Mason performs is good enough. The coin disapears in their pocket and ends up in the bag. that's Magical enough for most spectators!
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2014, barts185 wrote:
For the bag, I was thinking along the lines of a small leather drawstring bag / pouch.

I ordered a couple of bags (they were inexpensive, so I ordered 2 different styles) off of etsy from a shop named thunderrose. They were very quick to answer questions and accommodating in making a bag to whatever specifications I wanted.

Once I receive them, will be back with a report in case anyone is thinking about getting one.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Sounds good, Bart. Thanks for the effort!

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pocket Money - Wayne Dobson (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL