The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » 144ft. Silk Streamer (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
iam4ft3
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
5 Posts

Profile of iam4ft3
I was just given 2 144ft. X 17in. rainbow streamers I believe to be Abbotts. It is in very good shape in that only on the end is a small hole. Can anyone give me an idea what this may be worth. I do not do silk productions.
Yes I am a magician 38 years and I am a little person 4ft3in tall living in New Orleans.
Irwin Royes
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Irwin,

I have no idea what the streamers are worth. However, I think you do have a true collectors' treasure.

Congratulations!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Irwin, you could look at my prices and figure out what 8 momme streamers would run in that size.
I would then add about 25% for the added size. Basically, you have a bolt of silk that was cut in half and hemmed and dyed. I would not make them for less than $850 each. I have made streamers this large and it is one big hunk of silk.

The largest I ever did was 45" wide by 150' long. And it was a handpainted design.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2010-09-19 08:12, hugmagic wrote:
The largest I ever did was 45" wide by 150' long. And it was a handpainted design.

Richard

Richard,

I would not even want to imagine how much that silk streamer would cost.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-09-18 22:32, iam4ft3 wrote:
I was just given 2 144ft. X 17in. rainbow streamers I believe to be Abbotts. It is in very good shape in that only on the end is a small hole. Can anyone give me an idea what this may be worth. I do not do silk productions.

Why would anyone take something they do not want? I hope when you sell it you give the money to the nice person who gave you the streamers.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 01:05, wmhegbli wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-18 22:32, iam4ft3 wrote:

Why would anyone take something they do not want? I hope when you sell it you give the money to the nice person who gave you the streamers.

I didn't read anywhere that he did not "want" the streamers, but only that he doesn't perform silk productions. We know nothing of the reasons why the original owner gave them to him.

I would love to see a photo of the streamers. I would also love to know what the original owner did with two 144-foot, 11-inch-wide streamers! I have one 40-foot by 12-inch P&A streamer, and it's all I can handle in my Kuma Tubes routine! Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I did two 60' x 17 x 17" streamers for Jody Baran's Kuma Tubes. He is using the Owen's unit and table. The silk start out blue on left and Yellow on the right. Halfway through, they change sides colorwise. It adds a little interest to the production.

These streamers may have been given in exchange for payment or as thank you. BTW, they are 17" wide not 11". That is a huge difference in loading and bulk.

Here is the photo of the 45" x 150' streamer with two 13' x 14' tie

Richard

Click here to view attached image.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Actually, the streamer was not the only load. There were also:

1. a bunch of 18" and 24" silks
2. two smaller streamers
3. production umbrellas
4. 6-foot tie-dyed silk
5. rice load
6. 36" butterfly silk
7. 6-foot butterfly silk
8. my daughter...

:P
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Now that's a load!

Riochard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 14:24, hugmagic wrote:
Now that's a load!

Richard

Well, my daughter wasn't very big at the time... Smile
Steve Varro
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN.
116 Posts

Profile of Steve Varro
Daytona just raised their 9 inch X 33 foot streamer to $110.00.

We have refused to raise our prices to that level. Once the 4 we have are sold, we will discontinue selling them.

Steve
Dock Haley Gospel Magic Co.
STILL In HIS service

Steve Varro

International President of FCM

Owner/Dock Haley Gospel Magic Co.
Hayre
View Profile
Regular user
Arkansas
195 Posts

Profile of Hayre
I have one of these streamers which I am using for Kuma Tubes load. It is 17-18 inches wide, and 145-150 feet long. The tie-dye colors do not look like Abbott, etc. More like something from England.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I vividly remember C. Thomas MAGRUM'S 180' x 18" tie dyed streamer! (When I visited Clem, on the road, I would "inherit" the task of "accordion pleating" it. He had had a HUGE "tip over" box made to close his school show. It was a 10 minute job to reload that "#$%& box! --And, it took at least 5 minutes to produce all the stuff. Under cover of the arm load of silk streamer, he would steal a huge clock (with a half dozen small alarm clocks on its back, and load it into the box.

I think Richard, that Horace Marshall made that streamer, and, Clem used this trick in the early '50s.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I have fond memories of helping Earl Edwards and Donna accordion pleat the 50-foot Rice streamer they used in their act. Earl wrote up the fold for what was then the proposed Volume 4 of _The Encyclopedia of Silk Magic_.

One of the "rules" of magic is that whatever all comes out of a production device should look like it can't possibly have fit in the box to begin with. The "tip over" box that Dick referenced is also known as "The Inexhaustible Box" for that reason.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yeah Sonny...That's one of the reasons that I like the little Demon Wonder Box, with the "extra" load gimmick. I bought it in '54. Earl Edwards was selling Doc Frischkorn's estate. I paid $5.00 for it!!! I use it to pad out my 20th Century Silk routine. I get a 15' long string of 12" silks out of it!
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Dick, my NEW version of the DWB ends with a 24' x 12" Duke's Dye Version streamer from the 'little miracle'... and the load time ain't too bad!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey J! THAT sounds VERY INTRIGUING!!!

When I use the DWB, it's mainly to pad out the 20th Century. I load 15 12" half silks, tied together, in the extra gaff. We "must" discuss this!!!
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Dick, I sent you a PM, but here is a shot

visit me @ JNealShow.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
On an unrelated note... this is a tribute to Dick Oslund from a recent Castle show

visit me @ JNealShow.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Is that the streamer I made you? Looks good.

Yes, Horace probably did make Clem's silks.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » 144ft. Silk Streamer (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL