The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Exact radius of playing card corners (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
986 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
What is the exact radius of playing card corners?

J
Jell92
View Profile
New user
Denmark
63 Posts

Profile of Jell92
Ehh a radius can only be found in a circle?
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4732 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
If you are looking for a corner rounder, I think what you are looking for is 1/8" (3 mm).
MagicManJL
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of MagicManJL
I just checked "The Gaff Factory", and Magiguy is correct.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
986 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Positive it is 1/8th?

I have heard 1/4 1/8th and 3/8ths so far.

Is there a definitive source for this information?

J
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
3/8 is HUGE!

I've read 3mm somewhere but don't recall the source! I've become pretty proficient with nail clippers!

MMc
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4732 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I use a 3mm reverse angle nip, and the cards line up perfectly with poker size bikes.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3711 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I did a couple of quick measurements and a quick calculation and came up with 2.83 mm. I'd say that the 3 mm (1/8") guys have it.
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
228 Posts

Profile of tstark
I have always used a 1/8" corner gouge to round the corners of my cards and they match the standard playing cards.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
986 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
1/8th" has in fact proven to be the exact cutting radius and as such an appropriate cutter is on it's way few UPS as we speak.

Thank you for the rounder recommendations!

I decided upon a heavy duty cutter.

J
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1336 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Hi Jay,,,,

Where did you get the 1/8" cutter and what does it cost?
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4732 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2010-09-24 16:37, MagicMan1957 wrote:
Hi Jay,,,,

Where did you get the 1/8" cutter and what does it cost?

Try HERE
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
986 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
The cutter was approximately 100 dollars shipped.

J
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
373 Posts

Profile of konjurer
This is probably going to ruin your day but Chris at Lybrary.com sells a corner rounder for under $30.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4588 Posts

Profile of silverking
Some folks put quality ahead of price.

http://www.holepunch.com/cornerrounding.htm

No. 45-CR is handmade in America, and does a perfect corner. This tool is cast and machined.....not punched out of Chinese pot-metal.

I've got both the one linked to above, and the M.C. Mieth........there's no comparison.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5950 Posts

Profile of tabman
One day in the shop I needed to just round a few cards so I took some 1/4" I.D. brass tubing (1/8" radius), ground it to shape, sharpened the outside edge and it works fine as a corner punch.

You use it on a soft board and hit it with a hammer if you can picture this, sort of like a leather punch. But this is just for an occasional radius since it's slow going.

There's a cheap dual radius one available on Amazon too with quarter radius and eighth radius on the same punch. Did I say cheap as in cheaply made in China. I think if I needed to buy another one I'd go for one of the better ones pictured in this thread if I had a bunch of cards to cut.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Chris
View Profile
Special user
lybrary.com
851 Posts

Profile of Chris
I have tried and purchased a number of rounders. The one I sell for $29.50 works perfectly and makes the exact corner rounding you find on USPCC poker sized cards. http://www.lybrary.com/corner-rounder-p-33513.html

Yes, it is made in China. If that is a problem for you then look for something else. But in terms of quality it is as good or better as any other rounder I have tested. Actually it is more heavy duty than others made in Europe or America. You can cut with it one to five cards at one time.

For those who need to punch a lot more I recommend a Lassco corner rounder for ~$150 like this one: http://www.factory-express.com/Paper_Cut......der.html
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
Stacking for food
2299 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Chris,

I don't clearly see why the fact is made in China would mean it's crap. Of course, we all know that some products manufactured there are very poor in quality, but some are very good too! Depends the price you (wanna) pay. If one item is worth $250 in Europe or USA and if you want to pay $5 for it, of course, it's gonna be crap...

I've tried a corner rounder looking like yours and it did the job perfectly! There are many ways to round corner a card, in fact it depends how many you want to cut. For one deck once in a while, you don't need a dedicated tool, xacto, etc. will do the job. Of course, if you want to cut 250 decks per day you need professional tools.

Like his one for instance? http://www.kardwell.com/page/KII/CTGY/CARD-CUTTER-PED-MOD).

For one deck or two frequently, this one should have a nice ROI too: http://www.abcoffice.com/diamond1.htm
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
986 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Just a quick chime in here.

I play to use this quite heavily. I'm a stickler for quality and cost doesn't much matter to me. I'm not rich but I understand the idea of amortizing which completely eliminates many of the lesser quality punches.

I did consider they Lybrary corner rounder but once I saw the unit silverking mentioned above, I was sold.

It's not about cost to me, it's about end product and based on a number of recommendations I am quite confident in my purchase. Also, the company producing the punch I chose is a sole manufacturer of punches. Various sizes, and shapes, they are based in North America, which is a plus but didn't really have much impact on my decision.

It has yet to arrive but I will be sure to let you know how it performs.

AMcD,
I looked at both rounders you suggested in my search. Kardwell's was a bit much for my purposes but I did strongly consider the Diamond Akiles, I had to consider types of cards I was going to be rounding and how to corner would be affected by various guides and such.

I'll let everyone know when it arrives and how it performs.

J
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5950 Posts

Profile of tabman
Here's the cheap one I'm talking about on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Tonic-Studios-920-......&sr=8-18

Cheap as in under $12. Cheap as in mostly plastic. I bought it. It works but takes some fiddling with. I only needed it for a few cards. Pete Biro and I were working on a project that we thought might need a corner rounder but we changed the design and never needed it but we each bought one to use for a prototype.

Chris has some excellent information about working with cards on his site. I think if I'd seen his inexpensive offering before the Amazon one we might have ordered it instead.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
Stacking for food
2299 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Correct link is: http://www.kardwell.com/page/KII/CTGY/CARD-CUTTER-PED-MOD

Sorry about that.

Actually there are many models on the internet, the problem is about the radius available, 3mm is not that common, 4mm, 5mm or 6mm are. I'd like to know your advice about the Diamond Akiles, I may buy it one day.
Chris
View Profile
Special user
lybrary.com
851 Posts

Profile of Chris
It is not so hard to find the more expensive corner rounders $150 and up. You have a range of companies and choices of various tools. The reason I stock the hand tool was that I could not find any cheap and reliable 3mm corner rounder. And as far as I can tell I am still the only one where you can buy a <$30 3mm corner rounder that is not a plastic toy that breaks after a few dozen uses.

Having made more than 500 cards so far which were all hand corner rounded with one or another tool by me I can say that the biggest variable in quality of corner rounding achieved is the user. With all these tools it is important that you use it properly. If the card is not inserted correctly then the corner rounding will be off. That is true no matter how expensive the tool is. Particularly with the hand tools you need to acquire a bit of experience to hold the cards while pressing the punch making sure everything is properly aligned.

So whatever you decide to buy take your time to understand the tool and its operation and get some experience with it. After all this is still a craft.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
23987 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-09-21 09:42, Jell92 wrote:
Ehh a radius can only be found in a circle?

Not so. Any curve can have a radius or mulitiple radii. The term describes the distance from the center of a circle that would fit into a specific section of the curve.

The radius of curvature of the corner of a playing card varies from company to company.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1127 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Bill: Word!

Magiguy: Thanks for the link to Lybrary; just ordered one.

/Tomas
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
986 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
I have received the CR-45 Mieth hand punch as recommended by silverking and let me tell you!

This thing is the Bee's Knees!

Not only does it produce perfect cuts but it is solid! I don't mean it doesn't rattle. I am talking SOLID metal. You can feel the quality and the cut is unreal!
I am extremely happy with mine despite the shipping being so hefty.

I am glad I went the high quality route, even if I could buy a bag full of cheap ones.

Also if anything happens to it, I can get it repaired instead of having to replace it. The manufacturer is a phone call away and they are extremely nice and fast!

J
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4588 Posts

Profile of silverking
Good news Jay, it's the brand you see Conductors on trains, bus drivers, etc using all the time.

Although there are those who have suggested in this thread that "any" corner rounder might do, that doesn't take into account why professional mechanics generally prefer Snap-On tools, even though they cost twice as much as most other brands.

The Mieth is most definitely the Snap-On, while the other corner rounders are the "any other" alternative.

I do have them both, or wouldn't be offering up an opinion on either of them.

I will say that Chris at Lybrary is selling his at a much lower price than others selling the identical product, so if the inexpensive version is the one you're looking for, nobody beats the price Chris is offering.
Shane Baker
View Profile
New user
10 years and I've made a measly
79 Posts

Profile of Shane Baker
Can someone tell me what would be the usual radius for Jumbo playing cards - Bicycle, let us say?

Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Exact radius of playing card corners (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.464804 seconds, requiring 86 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [1] [4] [0] [0] [1] [8] [1]