The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Metal Shims (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Magic Roman
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Magic Roman
I’m looking for a place I can order my own metal shims for gaffing cards, coins etc… The metal needs to be pretty darn thin though (about the thickness of paper).
The thickness is about the same as standard copier paper, which is roughly 0.003 inches (0.0762 mm) thick. It’s got to be attracted to magnets as well.
Any thoughts?

Magically,
Roman
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I purchased some 0.001" from Small Parts, Inc.
Magic Roman
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Magic Roman
Quote:
On 2010-09-22 19:47, Magiguy wrote:
I purchased some 0.001" from Small Parts, Inc.

Thanks Magicguy for the info. You gave me a whole new direction to look into.
I found another site for ultra thin sheets of metal shim material. I’m not sure how well these metals will be attracted to a magnet. I haven’t tried this company yet.
http://www.maudlinproducts.com/1275.xml?cat=1165

Magically,
Roman
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Or if you're on an extreme budget, check the packaging on items you buy and see if they contain sensormatic labels, http://www.store.harrygs.com/ultramax-dr-labels.html , used for theft protection. These contain 2 super thin shims that are magnetically attracted.

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2010-09-25 00:40, Stanyon wrote:
Or if you're on an extreme budget, check the packaging on items you buy and see if they contain sensormatic labels, http://www.store.harrygs.com/ultramax-dr-labels.html , used for theft protection. These contain 2 super thin shims that are magnetically attracted.

FWIW

Okay...apparently that URL stopped working. Let's try this one:

http://store.harrygs.com/sultramaxbarcode.html

There, that's better!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Magic Roman
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Magic Roman
Quote:
On 2010-09-25 17:51, Stanyon wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-25 00:40, Stanyon wrote:

FWIW

Okay...apparently that URL stopped working. Let's try this one:

http://store.harrygs.com/sultramaxbarcode.html

There, that's better!

Hey thanks Stanyon,
I’ve heard about using these before, but never really tried it. I think I’m going to make myself give these security tag shims a try. I know I have several around the house, and you’re right they are super thin. Have a great weekend Stanyon. Oh, and thanks for the link.
Magically,
Roman
Magic Roman
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Magic Roman
Mega budget shims…
Here is an idea for making your own shims, if you’re on a seriously tight budget. It’s kind of sloppy; however, in a pinch it works.
Roll up the metal of a stripped down twist tie, and bang that bugger flat with a hammer. The metal mess can be glued inside coin shells, between cards, etc…
It’s not as neat and tidy as other metal shims in the slightest, but it’s an option. Kind of like a desperate measure; I know, but hey. I’ve used little pieces of twist ties, as tiny shims for card corners in a torn and restored card routine. One nice thing about the little metal found in a twist tie, is that it’s kind of like a needle after you pound it flat. You can stick the metal piece between the layers of a card pretty easily. I’d recommend doing this with a face card for the sake of camouflage. This stuck pretty well to my P.K. ring.
Magically,
Roman
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Luckily, there are engineering supply counters that do incredibly thin shim steel for very little money indeed. Have a look through Google Shopping.
spfrank
View Profile
New user
East Texas
29 Posts

Profile of spfrank
Magiguy, how well do the shims work you got from Small Parts, Inc.?

Scott
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2010-09-30 20:57, spfrank wrote:
Magiguy, how well do the shims work you got from Small Parts, Inc.?

Scott

Beautifully! If you PM me with your address I will send you a small sample.
StephenP
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of StephenP
Hey thanks, Stanyon. That's a terrific idea! I love it when I can try these things on the cheap.
Jimmy Vee
View Profile
Regular user
Jimmy Vee
176 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Vee
I just ordered some of this to shim a card. I found it on Amazon.com sold by Small Parts, Inc. I'll let you know how it goes.
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Since I started making shim cards, I prefer feeler gage steel.
It is highly flexible and returns absolutely flat when bended.
The shim is about 95% of the size of a poker card and can be build into any card, not only court cards!
The result is a shim card which cannot be detected unless you use a magnet.

Here is a (German) source for that steel: http://www.hs-folien.de/english/feeler-gage-stock.html
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I second the post about the security tags. I find them often inside DVD's but they can be inside of anything. Flexible, thin, attracted to magnets and most of all, free! Just cut them open and there you go...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
ericthecomic
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of ericthecomic
I have taken apart some cheap bic disposable razors - any will do (gillette, schick, etc.) - just work at it with a pair of needl-nose plyers or something, and you can even cut the blades to be smaller. The actual razor is magnetic - important to note, however, that in some razors, there is a piece of metal between the blades that is a little thicker and is not magnetic - definitely have a magnet nearby to test out the blades.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I've used a .002" carbon steel shim (Also from Small Parts via Amazon) with success. I don't think I'd want to go too much thicker than .002"
Kevin Reylek
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I use ordinary razor blades. The majority of them are attracted to magnets and they are easy to cut to size.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2013-03-21 00:19, Mercury52 wrote:
I've used a .002" carbon steel shim (Also from Small Parts via Amazon) with success. I don't think I'd want to go too much thicker than .002"

I am not sure how that translates measurementwise. Would .003" be thicker or .001" ? Thanks in advance
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
.003 is thicker than .001..................
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I have not worked in cutting my own shims from a larger sheet, assuming that my own limited cutting tools / skills would leave the shim warped.

Do these super thin sheets retain a complete flatness when cut with an ordinary, but sharp, pair of scissors?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Metal Shims (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL