The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My first real performance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
I work for in the IT Department for a bank in Durban, South Africa. Our department is hosting an "End of Year Function" on 27 November 2010. The organisers have decided to include a talent show segment and I am given 20 minutes to perform my magic act. Although I have performed 2 informal shows for different groups of friends, I have never performed professionally (or rather formally), so this will be a first for me. There should be in the region of 150 people attending. I have to do a demonstration for the organisers next week Friday, so I'll do about 2 close-up magic tricks for them, as there will only be about 6 people around a table. This is just a demonstration and not an audition.

I posted a topic in the Mentalism section and have taken the advice given by the posters into account when I decided on the effects I selected for the show. I am posting this here so that I can get some different peoples input and advice as well.

I have decided to do the following 3 magic tricks:

Clutch (from PenguinMagic)
7 Keys to Baldpate (from TrickShop)
ENvision (from TrickShop)

I know some people have issues with doing a Mentalism act when you're still a beginner, but I do not see any other opportunity of putting practice to performance in the near future. Some time or another you have to take the leap of faith and jump.

What I would like people to do, is to give me some advice with regards to performances (I am not asking for anyone to reveal any methods to effects). I welcome any tips or tricks that I can use to better my performance. I have pretty much made up my mind that these are the magic tricks that I will be performing; I just need some performance advice.

Another thing I need to know is what music I can have the DJ play when I am coming up to stage as well as when the spectators are coming forward. This has to be something "commercial" that the DJ will have in his collection (and they normally have most modern and the so called "classic" songs).

Posted: Oct 8, 2010 5:44am
I just found out now that my demonstration next week Friday is sort of an audition. Aahh!!!
Vernesto

"I'm not perfect, just forgiven!"
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Breathe. Auditions are good for you Smile

I think your choice of material is up to you. I wouldn't put anything on the "don't do" list as logn as you have practiced it and are proficient with it.

The biggest suggestion I have is simply this: practice, practice practice. You want to be doing things where you don't have to think about the mechanics because, I guarantee you, in front of an audience for the first time, your whole head will be in the presentation space. The actual mechanics should be automatic for you.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
MagicMitch
View Profile
New user
New City, NY
71 Posts

Profile of MagicMitch
Cyberqat's right. You should only perform an effect if you absolutely know you will be able to pull it off- I know from experience... Anyway, congrats on getting this chance! Don't sweat it, just relax and be yourself (or whoever your performing persona is), and you'll do great. Good luck!
WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
Thanks. My "audition" is Friday, 15 October 2010 between 08:30 AM and 09:00 AM (South African time). I'll definitely do a show postmortem after my audition and the actual show. If there are any more people with advice for me please keep it coming.
Vernesto

Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Firstly what medium is the performance, parlor, stage or strolling/table hopping?

Presentation plots that come to mind are:

For 7 Keys to Baldpate:

unlocking a chastity belt (possable comedy angle there).
Keys that unlock the secret to success.
Finding the spare key at home.
Finding the key to unlock your sisters diary.
Opening Pandora's box.
Swingers club. ha

For ENvision:

Eyes in the back of my head. (stand back to back with your spectator for mildy funny demo)
Man's intuition.
Human echa sketch
Two great minds think alike.

For Clutch:

Heart in the right place.
Sense of touch
Held Forever
Pickpocket
Calling Card

That should get you started with presentation ideas.

As for performace tips, never turn your back to the audance and never fail to exploit an entertainment opportunity. Everthing to having a card selected to having the keys put into the bag is an entertainment opportunity so make the most of them.

Not only do you squeeze every last drop of entertainment out your effects you can make ordinarily dull moments more fun. Take a normal shuffle of a deck of cards for example, you could narrate a shuffle by saying:

...this is a jewish shuffle (after a charlier cut) because there's only one cut...
...This is a Russian shuffle (after springing the cards from one hand to the other)because on card is rush'n after another.

Everything is an opportunity so make the most of it.

Magically

Aus
WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
Thanks Aus. This is honestly very helpful. Never thought of adding some comedy to just shuffling a deck. I do like to use comedy, but not "slap stick".

Posted: Oct 9, 2010 11:04am
I am taking a semi-formal type approach (professional to an extent, with some "coolness" - think Shaun Spencer (Psych) meets Patrick Jane (Mentalist) - if that makes sense) with comedy (but not slap stick comedy).
Vernesto

Matt Brown
View Profile
New user
Northern California
11 Posts

Profile of Matt Brown
I used to perform as a tenor soloist for large audiences and the material was at the tip of my abilities. In those situations, especially the first time, the heart races and concentration isn't like rehearsal. I found that the feeling doesn't go away, but you begin to get accustomed to it. My advice it to simulate or imagine it in rehearsal so that it doesn't get you off your game.

While rehearsing imgagine a large audience and the way you might feel. Anticipate and become accustomed to the feeling. You might even take a short run or do some exercise just before to get the heart pumping. If you can rehearse under this difficulty, it will be easier to perform.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My first real performance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL