The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Chatroulette ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
Hey guys theres a site called Chatroulette.com and its a webcam site that hooks you up to random people. beware of perverts tho , but I found its a really good way to practice magic infront of a random audience?

I was doing the vanishing hankey for people and they loved it.

Any thoughts? cheers guys
Gonche
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Gonche
The problem is, that if your webcam/connection is bad, you'll be getting a low FPS rate. This means that the other person might miss out on vital parts of an effect, and it might confuse them, or make your trick less valid.

Example: A muscle pass appears instantaneous over webcam. That is, it looks like it just teleports between hands.
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
Funny you said that I did try muscle pass and it didn't look good on webcam
teedpop
View Profile
New user
Check out my
91 Posts

Profile of teedpop
I've heard of chatroulette, and have decided not to try it due to perverts.

-Teed
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Awesome! I'd been wanting to try this for a while but wasn't sure how it would go. Good on you for trying it out.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Quote:
On 2010-10-12 11:38, Gonche wrote:
The problem is, that if your webcam/connection is bad, you'll be getting a low FPS rate.

Oh, that's the problem? If we had higher frame rates, it is perfectly OK to force magic on people that seek to have a conversation with another human being... And OP warns about perverts? Are those the ones that expose others to something personal without any introduction?

Magic perverts, carry on as you were!!

*baffled*
Michael
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Quote:
On 2010-10-14 18:57, teedpop wrote:
I've heard of chatroulette, and have decided not to try it due to perverts.

-Teed

Yeah, when you force your magic down someone elses throat, there is nothing worse than finding that they are naked...

Sorry.. I don't do chatroulette, but honestly, is that how desperate we are for an audience? Are we THAT afraid of going into the real world where we can't just click people away?

I may be all wrong here, but I find this disturbingly sad...

This is not about finding new audiences, it is about avoiding traditional ones.

Michael
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I disagree. I think that, if successful, it could give you a chance to practice a single routine on multiple audiences many times in a short time frame, and work out the kinks in it before taking it live.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
I did magic because if you don't do something interesting soon, people will click "Next".

So I did hankey vanish.

(the perverts do spoil the site tho)
teedpop
View Profile
New user
Check out my
91 Posts

Profile of teedpop
I was just trying to say that I wouldn't like to be doing magic for someone on chatroulette or even on the streets or anywhere really, and they just take their clothes off and be immature.

Im just saying.
-Teed
Sting
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Sting
I do perform some effects on sites such as those. I find it an interesting medium because webcam provides some novel techniques not otherwise available in person, which are quite fun to explore. Some shockingly strong stuff can be pulled off.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
The reference to perverts made me laugh... anyone else remember the "dial-a-date" sequence in Logan's Run?

It sounds like you aren't forcing anything down anyones throat. (And I will REALLY avoid the unfortunate connection between that phrase and the last subject.) If they like your magic, they hang around, if they don't, they click next.

It actually brings up an interesting idea. Might it be interesting to do a virtual magic club over webcam? Give people who like magic somewhere specifically to go and watch realer performances then edited youtube and give starting magicians who don't have a club or other venue locally a real audience to try things out in front of?
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-11-09 11:57, Cyberqat wrote:
The reference to perverts made me laugh...It sounds like you aren't forcing anything down anyones throat. (And I will REALLY avoid the unfortunate connection between that phrase and the last subject.)

Bwaaahhh ha ha ha haaa! ROFLMAO! Hee hee hee! Man, that cracked me up! If I had taken a drink of my iced tea, I would have sprayed it all over the computer! (again, hysterical laughter!)

Hoo-boy! (gasping) that...(!)...man, that was good, Cyb'! (wiping tears)

OK...~ahem~ (snicker)...the subject at hand here (no pun intended). As you know, anywhere there is unrestricted public access, there is the seedy, low-born side of humanity. It is just the times we live in as to the medium they are able to use. This is nothing new.

The Internet is already full of this. Before I found The Magic Café, I had to wade through the most childish, imbecile-filled, cesspools of so-called magicians on every kind of forum. I could not get a straight answer to a question! If I tried to help ,I was ridiculed and slammed and flamed! The only two forums that were any good back then (2002/2003) were Genii and The Magic Café! I chose the Magic Café. I am so glad I did. I have been here ever since!

I am sure there are other sites that you can share magic using web-cams. The ones you want are members only sites, to avoid the dredges of humanity that frequent the open sites, such as that one. Yes, you don't get quite the number of viewers, that is true. But you get a bit "higher on the scale", so to speak.

I have to somewhat agree, that "forcing" magic on people is not good. However, remember that people sign up for those sites (members only) to watch other people whatever they are doing, so it is really not "forcing magic". They can turn it off, or switch channels. If you see a magic show on TV, are you being "forced" to watch? Of course not! You change the channel if it's not entertaining!
Just my $.02...

Doug
mtb
View Profile
New user
South Africa
61 Posts

Profile of mtb
Quote:
On 2010-11-09 11:57, Cyberqat wrote:
It actually brings up an interesting idea. Might it be interesting to do a virtual magic club over webcam? Give people who like magic somewhere specifically to go and watch realer performances then edited youtube and give starting magicians who don't have a club or other venue locally a real audience to try things out in front of?

Actually this could be good. I do not really know the local magic scene yet, but if previous performing arts I have tried are anything to go by, it will be fairly small compared to many other places.

Of course, bandwidth is also poor. Them is the breaks I guess.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Chatroulette ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL