The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Making a Cartoon Deck (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

StephenP
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of StephenP
Has anybody here ever tried making their own cartoon or "card toon" deck? I used to make flip books as a kid and am thinking about trying to work one up, not because I'm cheap but because I think it might be fun to make my own sequence/drawings for it.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5743 Posts

Profile of motown
I never tried it, but it could be interesting with the right graphic.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
It is a HUGE investment in time. If you are doing it for the fun of it I say go for it, but I takes a lot longer than I originally imagined.
Weird is part of the job.
Troels
View Profile
Loyal user
Denmark
205 Posts

Profile of Troels
If you know anybody able to create a Flash animation things will be a lot easier.
The program makes the movements fluid and smooth. And you can check the flow of the animation at the screen before you draw the first line on the cards. Or you might prefer to print the frames directly on the cards, if your printer can handle the heavy paper. More advise on printing at card stock at http://www.lybrary.com

Troels
StephenP
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of StephenP
I am partially doing it for fun, but thanks for the reality check, Alex. And Troels, I hadn't even thought about working it up in a program first. I just figured I'd draw them like a flip book, but that would certainly be more efficient. And I have been eyeing those nine-card sheets at Lybrary...
Kex
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
579 Posts

Profile of Kex
I did one years ago... took about an hour. But was worth it. My only problem is I used a shuffled deck... so getting it back in order is tricky. So, might be worth your effort to make one custom.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5743 Posts

Profile of motown
I would have thought it would take longer than that. Unless you're just talking about drawing the images on the cards.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
lisheng
View Profile
New user
nowhere
61 Posts

Profile of lisheng
Sounds like a lot of work!
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
368 Posts

Profile of goatears
Do you mean Card-toon? Unless you were copying a marketed deck (which is not very ethical) I can't imagine making a very good deck in only an hour.
StephenP
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of StephenP
I'd think it could take anywhere from an hour to all day depending on how good you'd want to do it. I'm going to try it with some original art for my little girl. Maybe a rabbit spreading its ears and then the card popping up. Just for fun. But I think I'm going to get the Cardtoon deck at some point anyway, just because I like the "pro" version.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
935 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
StephenP--
I've made my own... but you probably already knew that!
Although it may be possible to make a simple flipbook on the back of a deck of cards in about an hour (that's one drawing every minute), it's actually pretty challenging to make a "Card-Toon"-like gimmicked deck. That will probably take the better part of a whole day, but it's fun... if you're into that sort of thing!
I made my first one by hand, but neglected to put the cards in order first. It just didn't occur to me until I tried to work through the performance and found it nearly impossible to reset! Sooooo, I made my *second* one by hand on a new deck! That whole process took about ten hours, but I was quite particular about the animation and the registration of each image. Have fun!
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
StephenP
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of StephenP
Thanks Dan! I appreciate the response! I saw you doing a demo in the shop and definitely getting an original. The homemade version I have in mind would definitely be more of a quicky, hearkening to my school day hobby of flip books.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2728 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Dan,
I always wished the Card Toon deck was not in order and thought about making my own from a shuffled deck. Now I finally know why you did it the way you did it. I'm glad I didn't go through all that trouble only to discover what you had already discovered.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Ernst VCO
View Profile
New user
that has really been trying, but only has
23 Posts

Profile of Ernst VCO
I know it's an old thread, but one could put the cards in a stack, like Si Stebbins or Mneumonica. Just a thought.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Dan! Would you market a deck in 8 kings order? I would buy it. You could use some of the subtleties like the 10 picture suit exchange and starting the deck other than on the 8. If you do please respond in this thread I want to be first on the list for this deck. You could also make it limited and signed for a truly great collectable.
"When I was young I thought I was clever and could change the world. But now I am wise and instead changed MYSELF." Sudo Nimh

"In our quest to be different, we all wind up pretty much the same." Jakeg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Making a Cartoon Deck (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL