The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Secret separation of colors? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Thomas Hudecsek
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Thomas Hudecsek
Hi!
I am very interested, in what method you actually use in front of spectators, to secretly seperate the colors in red and black?
I.e, for Out Of This World (Universe), or tnt ...

I use two methods: Slopshuffle to demontrate a kind of Triumph effect.

Or a method I read from Harry Lorayne, openly seperating the cards after a peek, while trying to eliminate cards that can impossible be the thought of card. Hope you understand what I trying to say.

Between the "separation" effect and the one I need the secret separation of colors, I throw in at least one other card effect, with shuffles and so on.

Please tell, what methods do you actually use and how effective are they?

thomas Smile
Robert LAMAR
View Profile
New user
Lakeside, Nova Scotia (Canada)
75 Posts

Profile of Robert LAMAR
I use the second method you mention to find a card the spectator is thinking of, while setting up the deck for the next effect. I simply run through the cards - faces towards me - separating the colours as I go. From the spectator's vantage point, it appears I am attempting to discern their card through some sort of elimination process. My patter during this is as if I am talking to myself, thinking out loud, if you will, as I try to figure out what card they are thinking of.

After I run through the entire deck - which has thus been effectively separated according to colour - I then locate and remove their card from the deck. After the revelation of their selection the deck is ready to be used in whatever 'colour separation' effect I wish to perform.

An example of this can be seen in Martin A. Nash's video, "Colors On The March."
With YOU in mind...Robert LAMAR

The power of thought is the MAGIC of the MIND." - Byron

Web Site: www.RobertLAMAR.ca
Thomas Hudecsek
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Yes, that's exactly what I ment. That's what I use.
Halfway through I show the wrong card with a double lift, table it, search further, give up, reach into my pocket, remove the tabled card from my pocket, and show the chosen card laying on the table in exchange.

Believe it or not, last weekend, I fooled a cardman with that seperation, 2 tricks before "Out of this universe" which completely knocked him out.

I love magic Smile
thomas
gilbreath76
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of gilbreath76
I like the 1, 2 separation found in Lennart Green's tapes. I've been praticing culling the cards to separate the colors too.
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Lennart Green's Angle Separation is very nice. And is ideal for this purpose.

It's on tape 1 of his three tapes.
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
Thomas Hudecsek
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

I will look it up! Thank you for the tip with the Lennart Green tapes

Smile
Damion Corbett
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Damion Corbett
Lennart Green's Angle Seperation is a great way of doing this. I use the ruse of making sure that there are 52 cards in the deck and that there are no jokers.

I usually keep a joker in the deck and openly remove it during the angle separation to add credability to my statement.
Sybilmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
275 Posts

Profile of Sybilmagic
The angle seperation is also very effective to seperate the suits. In his first mind blowing routine he uses this after the spectator has shuffled this quickly puts the deck in order.

Take an in order deck and rifle shuffle it twice then perform the suit angle seperation.

In the packets you have now, the suits should run in order (maybe not starting at ace/2)
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
984 Posts

Profile of jbadman
The Angle Separation is GREAT for setting up for JC's Super Close (an amazing effect from 'The Commercial Magic of JC Wagner'). You can set up for it with two angle separations and a few alterations/culls.

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
I simply ask the spectator to randomly imagine red and black cards in their mind.
I then tell them, I'm arranging the cards in the color pattern their mind operates (or some BS like that). Then you can just relax and separate the deck.

What are they going to say, you're arranging the deck? You just told them you were. I've never had a problem doing it this way.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Thomas Hudecsek
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Interesting idea, Platt!

I really can not imagine doing this, because in that case I would foreshadow the fact that a color seperation will possibly occur.

Maybe you could explain that in more detail, please?

Sounds really interesting, I will think about it, maybe I can get something good out of it.

What I don´t want is telling them that I am seperating cards, maybe finding out or eliminating cards, but not seperating.

Thank you all for the input.

Thomas

Smile
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
Does anyone use "Cull-a-Separation" from Pabular? I need to work on the speed and make the actions uniform but I think it has potential, you separate the deck under pretense of removing the aces, but you could easily adjust it to remove the 2 jokers and the advertisement cards.
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
Garrett Nelson
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Garrett Nelson
I have grown found of a slop shuffle, I didn't like it until I saw it done in the right hands. I was not really paying attention and a friend of mine performed it (for someone else, and I was half-way looking on).

When he revealed that he had the colors seperated, I knew how it was done, as I was familiar with the method. I was very impressed with how casual it looked. I didn't notice what he was doing because it really looked sloppy!

So I guess my point is, that I like the slop shuffle if it is done well.

I also like the angle-seperation, though.

Hmmmm.... I guess I will just settle for agreeing with everyone.
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

How does a slop shuffle arrange a shuffled deck into reds and blacks? Surely it would just keep the cards as they were before? Or did you mean you do that after a separation to make it look like you have messed up the deck?
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
Enigma
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
41 Posts

Profile of Enigma
Slop shuffle modified I believe is what they meant. I believe it is found in Royal Road to Card magic or Card College ... I forget which one.

Enigma Smile
You got to stand for something or you will fall for anything .... unless you are tired and you need to lay down or at least sit down then it is ok not to stand, my own opinion of course.

Enigma
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2002-04-27 07:19, Neil Cook wrote:
How does a slop shuffle arrange a shuffled deck into reds and blacks? Surely it would just keep the cards as they were before? [...]

It seems obvious that the term "slop shuffle" is being used here to describe a sort of "Charlier shuffle", except being done in a sloppy (and therefore apparently casual) manner. Unlike the usual use of a
"slop shuffle" (well known by many beginners and amateurs) - to apparently mix face-up and face-down cards - this shuffle would presumably be done with the BACKS to the spectators as the performer places all the black cards to the FRONT of the mix and all of the red cards to the BACK (or vice versa).

Put a little thought to it, Neil, you'll figure it out...

Reagrds,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Couldn't resist a dig could you? Thanks for the clarification though.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2002-04-28 14:16, Neil Cook wrote:
Couldn't resist a dig could you? [...]

What "dig", Neil? I'm just encouraging you to use a little deductive reasoning. See, the process goes a little something like this:

1) GarrettDN described a "slop shuffle" that his friend had used to SEPARATE the blacks from the reds. So the first step in the reasoning process is to accept that the end result of the "shuffle" itself is the separation of the colors; later we may reject this assumption, but for now we need to accept this as a "given" for the reasoning process to work.

2) GarretDN also stated that he was completely unaware that the colors had been separated until his friend REVEALED this fact. So we can further assume that the faces of the cards aren't revealed until the
"shuffle" is complete, since even the most obtuse observer would probably notice that he was only seeing one color face up.

3) Finally, we are told that the most deceptive aspect of the "shuffle" was it's sloppy nature. This, of course, allows us to consider that perhaps GarrettDN is misusing or stretching the traditional definition of the phrase "slop shuffle".

Now, if GarrettDN had only said "My friend used the slop shuffle to separate the colors and I was completely fooled.", then it might indeed be a puzzle as to how this was accomplished. But, since we have SO MUCH additional information, if we apply the principles of deductive reasoning along with our basic knowledge of OTHER sleights - such as the "Charlier shuffle" - we can easily arrive at an understanding of what GarrettDN actually meant. Some people might call this
"reading between the lines", but it's really just deductive reasoning. We just have to
"put a little thought into it".

Get it?

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Ultimatum
View Profile
New user
Born in NY, live in FL
4 Posts

Profile of Ultimatum
I'm a beginner with magic, so I don't know much about color separation, but there's a trick in which you begin with a set-up deck organized black, red, black, red, etc.

After a riffle shuffle, you cut the cards at a place where there are two cards of the same color touching so that there is a black card at the top and a black card at the bottom -- or red. (I do that step under the pretense of taking out the joker)

You then deal the deck into two piles, allowing the spectator a free choice of which one he wants. You take the other. He deals a card from the top of his pile and turns it face-up -- let us say it is a red.

You deal your card FACE DOWN diagonally across from his. For example, if he deals reds to his right and blacks to his left, when he deals a red card to his right, you deal your top card face down to his left under his pile of black cards.

It continues until you have both dealt all the cards. Put his cards together with your cards under his and you have successfully seperated the cards.

I hope you get what I'm saying. Smile If you need clarification, I'll try to send it in ASCII later, but I'll need a monotype font. I could send it in a pic.
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

I think that is the application of the Gilbreath Principle known as "Magnetic Colours". That could also be used as a pseudo-mind reading trick where you can predict the order of their cards before they deal them. Same trick, different packaging.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Secret separation of colors? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL