The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Torn 2 Pieces,- am I the only one . . . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicmonk
View Profile
New user
Donald Monk
22 Posts

Profile of magicmonk
I have got Shawn Farquhar's torn & restored photo effect and it's a work of genius!

However, am I the only one who can't get the software to perform as it should?

I have Photoshop,- can't get the quick-set-up guide to function.
I have Gimp,- can't get that to even load the guide.

This is one heck of a trick, but I need to be able to construct the required item to be able to perform it.

Has anyone out there (maybe even Shawn himself) got a solution to my dilema?
Have a Chuckle,- and get a Free Magic Tutorial at http://www.MagicMonkSolutions.com
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1461 Posts

Profile of puggo
I used Microsoft Word, and it seemed Ok.

Magicmonk I have PM'd you. If anyone else is interested in my low tech workaround, PM me with proof you have the DVD (e.g. the 5th word on the second line of the back cover etc..) and I'll send it to you.

Like I said, it works for me - each to their own!
theboywonder
View Profile
Loyal user
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
229 Posts

Profile of theboywonder
Open one of the template files that are on the DVD in Photoshop. One of the newer versions of PS will work better (ie., CS3, CS4, CS5) as they have the newer feature called Smart Objects that will REALLY help you with your photo. But any photo program will allow you to manually edit your pic also. Just follow the template and Shawn's excellent teaching on the DVD . . .
It would really be quite tragic
if the world had to do without magic!
dgcuff
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
193 Posts

Profile of dgcuff
Quote:
However, am I the only one who can't get the software to perform as it should?

I initially had immense trouble getting the PhotoShop template to work. It turned out I was clicking the wrong part of the layers window. I can no longer recall the exact details. Perhaps I was clicking on text when I should have been clicking an icon, or vice versa. I recall getting frustrated, leaving it alone overnight, and lucking into the solution the next morning.

My advice is to keep trying. Smile
Links to help Canadian magicians
http://magicinfo.ca

Follow me on twitter
@magicinfo_ca
tester2006
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of tester2006
I am also having issues pulling up the full template in Gimp.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
10153 Posts

Profile of IAIN
For those of you who are using photoshop - I'm quite surprised as that cost several hundreds of pounds - especially the newer editions...

are you trying it in photoshop elements too?
flyfoxx
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of flyfoxx
I am using Gimp on Mac and also facing the problem to have the full template to load. Some parts of the template are missing. Maybe will try to recreate the template in Pages.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
2490 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Will the template work with Photoshop Elements 8
dgcuff
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
193 Posts

Profile of dgcuff
Quote:
On 2010-10-23 14:01, IAIN wrote:
For those of you who are using photoshop - I'm quite surprised as that cost several hundreds of pounds - especially the newer editions...

In case my previous post wasn't clear, the PhotoShop software didn't turn out to be the problem. *I* turned out to be the problem.

I don't have Elements, so I don't know if the template will load in Elements. Kinda doubt it.
Links to help Canadian magicians
http://magicinfo.ca

Follow me on twitter
@magicinfo_ca
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
No need to use photo software. Make a copy of the picture and do what needs to be done to the copy. Then make a copy of that.

You're welcome.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1171 Posts

Profile of aligator
Are there any other threads on this effect that deal with things other than making up the photo?
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3505 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I just ordered this
As a photographer I'm interested in any effects using photos

I think this will have more connection with a audience than a torn and restored card

Steve
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1323 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Aligator,

The original version of this is Dan Harlan's CRAZY-8 which is a card revelation effect.

Also, Dan Harlan released a version using an actual DOLLAR BILL that starts normal and really ends up mismade. You need to buy a sheet of Dollar Bills from the U.S. Treasury to make these up.

I started making the needed T2P photos using the Microsoft Publisher program.
You can set up a grid to make the crops more perfect to design the gaff.
theboywonder
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of theboywonder
However you decide to make the gaffs, once they are made you'll have a KILLER effect in your hands (no pun intended)! As a Magi that isn't 100% confident in his sleight of hand, I've performed this a half dozen times with NO PROBLEMS. It is awesome . . .
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
That's great to hear - I'm kinda bad with sleight of hand and so would love to hear your estimation about difficulty of this. I fully agree with Steve that this has tremendous potential when used with custom photos.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1171 Posts

Profile of aligator
I too would like to hear some comments on the difficulty level of performing(not constructing) this effect. PM if necessary.
theboywonder
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of theboywonder
I would say that on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being "VERY DIFFICULT" and 1 being "SELF WORKING", I'd say that it is a 2.5 or 3 out of 10. The gaff makes the end "SELF WORKING", but the in between is where the minor sleight of hand is involved. Trust me, with my lack of confidence, and shaky hands to boot, I have done it successfully every time. If I can do it, anyone can!
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
Emyers99,

No, it will not work with Photoshop Elements 8. You need a full version of Photoshop to make the automatic template work. With Gimp, I think the issue is that the version of Gimp that is now out, version 2.6, has changed up something that has affected the T2P templates. When you pull them up in this version of Gimp, you can't see the fragmented pieces of the photo. you can edit them, but you can't see them to be able to "line it up" (those of you who have this will understand). Luckily for me I also have a full version of Photoshop and the template works perfectly, exactly as Shawn demonstrates on the DVD. This is a fantastic effect and I'm glad that Shawn fully credits and discusses Dan Harlan's "Crazy Eights" and acknowledges that Dan's came first. I have Dan's effects off of his new lecture DVD, but I think I like the photograph idea better. I'm performing at a 60th birthday party in a few weeks and I'm going to use a 5x7 picture of the "birthday boy" in a nice frame as part of my parlor show. I think that will be long remembered and will bring repeat business from this client as well as new business from other guests at the party!

Thanks,
Hank
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
2490 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Thanks Hank.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
981 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
This actually will work with Photoshop Elements 8.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
2490 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I knew you were too cheap to buy the full version of photoshop.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
606 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Hi Folks,

Just dropping by the Café while hanging out in Beijing ... Facebook is banned so more time for magic!

The folks at GIMP upgraded their program and the .psd templates no longer translate perfectly. I have made a template of the small photo in GIMP format for those of you wanting to use GIMP and are having problems. Please email me and I will ask for proof of purchase and send you a link to the new template file.

I guess you can't anticipate an outside source like GIMP changing their program. I know the template will work with any Photoshop from CS2 and up ... Low cost versions of CS2 (2005) can be found for as little as $90 on eBay. I have not tested it with Photoshop Elements but if Michael Dustman says it works... that good enough for me... ( I do however suspect it is not automated as smart objects is not part of that software ...correct me if I'm wrong.)

Regarding skill level. It is very basic and I think I give a pretty good explanation of the handling and have reduced it to almost no skill necessary ... other than presentation.

Thanks for you interest and support of Torn 2 Pieces ... next item to be released is MatriXpress and then final filming of the Signed Card in Sealed deck ... with a new name since the one I have been using has been "borrowed" by another ...

Cheers,

Shawn
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3505 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
While I'm waiting for this to arrive, I'm thinking of a premise that works for me regarding why leave the person with a miss-made photo.

The idea I've come up with is to show the photo, and tell the story of how the person went missing, just at the time a serial killer was on the loose.

I tell how all his victims were found cut into four pieces, and laid out neatly on the ground.

Then give them the photo.

OK I'm a bit creepy, but it's the first thing I came up with.

Steve
theboywonder
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of theboywonder
I don't have an interesting story when I do T2P. I just do it! That's good enough for most people!

Shawn, can you tell us more about MatriXpress? I have seen you do the Signed Card in Sealed deck, so I already know how awesome that one is . . .
murf
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of murf
As for making the picture, I'm a command line sort of guy, and I use the free ImageMagick software <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php>. I use the "identify" command to get the original size, then write a tiny batch file that uses "crop", "resize", and "montage" to create the final picture. If you're new to ImageMagick, as I was, there is a learning curve, but it's nowhere near as steep as the learning curve for PS or Gimp!

Murf
theboywonder
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of theboywonder
If anyone needs help creating what they need to do this effect, I can do it for them. Just PM me, and I'll ask for some proof that you own the effect before I'll accept a jpeg from ya! If I get too many requests, I'll have to turn some people away, but I think only a few of you aren't fluent with the software. I am a graphic designer, so it is no problem for me to do it in minutes . . .
Rebecca_Harris
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Rebecca_Harris
I really lurve this effect! Brilliant thinking from Shaun and a really lovely, easy to perform and powerful effect. I've made up some photos of the Corpse Bride all ready for Halloween. Smile
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3505 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
The Corpse bride is a cool idea for halloween.

I don't think mine will arrive in time unfortunately

steve
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1171 Posts

Profile of aligator
Well Steve, you could play the part of the grinch and rip up Sanata Claus. Smile
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3505 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Mr aligator
I thought you were a nice guy.
I never believed all those things they said about you.

Now I'm thinking maybe they were right.

Just watch out. Don't forget....I know where you live.

Now... how do I get this photoshop to start????

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Torn 2 Pieces,- am I the only one . . . . . (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.350885 seconds, requiring 106 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [6] [9] [7] [6] [7] [0] [5]