The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » DVD/Video tape scene » » Keymaster by Craig Petty » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Keymaster by Craig Petty
-------------oOo------------

Disc Description: 1: Two keys are shown to the spectator
2: Spectator holds onto one of the keys
3: The hole in your key is visibly removed. 1st W.T.F moment!
4: Spectator discovers two holes in their key. 2nd W.T.F moment!
5: Spectator now holds onto your blank key
6: You visibly remove one of the holes from your key. 3rd W.T.F moment!
7: Spectator finds a hole in the shaft of their key. 4th W.T.F moment!
8: Everything can be examined! W.T.F
9: Precision made keys and an instructional DVD supplied.

KEYMASTER also comes with the additional GATEKEEPER routine using only one key.

"W.T.F. When is that out? I need this!"
- Alan Rorrison

"Well done on producing a MONSTER close-up effect. I saw you demo this in Blackpool. It's a knockout. The way you manipulated the hole was magnificent. I was shocked when you pulled it off in front of my eyes. I was even more amazed when you slid the hole down the shaft. You handed me your key to examine and although I thoroughly examined both the head and shaft I could find nothing untoward. I will be pulling this out to perform at every opportunity. Nice one Craig."
- Andi Peters - Magic Café Review

Running Time: Approximately 42mins

------------------

Although I'm a card kind of guy I must admit that whenever an effect is released using objects other than playing cards my interest is peeked immediately.
Now don't get me wrong, I definitely prefer the unlimited possibilities that are inherent with the pasteboards. But, I am smart enough to realize the potential that magic has using various other objects such as coins, dice, rope, knives, etc.

With the aforementioned in mind, I took an afternoon and carefully watched and learned one of Craig Petty's recent contribution's to doing magic with something that everybody carries with them - a set of keys. Smile

While I personally would have written the ad copy a bit differently, when presented correctly the trick will certainly have your spectators scratching their heads in utter amazement and therefore I feel the description is fairly accurate. Smile

The DVD is produced very well using broadcast quality cameras and professional lighting and editing. The menu system works well with my only real complaint being in regards to the sound quality. Let me explain. While the sound is certainly crystal clear I found that I had to turn the volume up a couple times as Craig's voice was extremely low. I found this to be true whether using the computer, my Xbox 360 or my Sony DVD player. Now arguably, this is a moot point for most people. However, I did feel as a reviewer that in all honesty this should be mentioned.

Having said all of that, what do you receive?

Obviously you get an instructional DVD, but also included in the package is an envelope which contains three very special keys. It is these custom machined keys that will help make the various effects possible. The keys are blank (i.e, they are not cut to fit any particular lock) but could be cut if you so desired. A trip to a professional locksmith will no doubt solve that issue. As for myself, I purchased a padlock and had my local locksmith key the lock to work with the blanks. This presents additional possibilties in routining and validates the keys as being genuine. If you don't want to go thru all that trouble and are still concerned about how spectators will react to seeing a blank key, remember that this is a magic key and can easily be presented as such. Think about that for a moment. Smile

Now, Craig presents and teaches you two very different routines, Keymaster and Gatekeeper. I personally prefer Gatekeeper as you apparently are using only one key when the magic is happening and there just doesn't seem to be any explanation as to how it is even possible. The Gatekeeper routine also resets instantly making it perfect for tableside or behind the bar performers.

Are the effects easy to do?

Look, if you can execute a decent shuttle pass and do a simple finger palm you are 90% there. If not, Craig is going to teach it to you so no worries. Now, If you feel those two techniques are way to difficult to learn I suggest you invest in something with a lesser degree of difficulty, perhaps a Ball & Vase? 'Nuff said me thinks.

Concerning crediting: I have seen some discussion on the internet in regards to the similarity between Keymaster and a couple Jay Sankey releases: (Key Deposit and Holy Moly). 'Holy Moly' makes use of metal washers (not keys) and Craig does discuss this on the DVD. Although 'Key Deposit' actually does use a key with a moving hole from what I've seen the effect is not quite the same. That's just my opinion of course.

In conclusion I think 'Keymaster' is a great package that will provide you with some really cool effects using a common everyday object. The learning curve is short and the effects are very powerful. With a bit of practice and some good solid showmanship on the part of the performer (that's you!) you really can't go wrong. Recommended. Smile

------------------

My rating:

Suggested retail is $45.00 / £30.00 (DVD plus props)

Available from your favorite dealer or you may purchase directly from World Magic Store.

You may email World Magic Store at:

sales@worldmagicshop.com

Or visit their website by
Clicking here!

---

Dealers - contact Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc.
11500 Gold Dredge Way
Rancho Cordova, Ca. 95742
Toll Free Order Line: 1-800-853-7403
Or visit Murphy's website:

Click here!

---
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » DVD/Video tape scene » » Keymaster by Craig Petty » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL