The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Papercrane :: Matthew Mello's Modern Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
3663 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Just got this in my email

http://www.papercranemagic.com/modernmentalism.htm

Volume 1

:: Serial :: An on-the-spot serial number reading, requiring nothing more than a borrowed dollar from your spectator.

:: Coffee Melt :: Imagine if you could touch a straw and make it melt and bend at your command, being able to control everything from speed to how far it will continue to bend. Well, with Coffee Melt, you'll be able to do just that, and you'll be able to do it seconds after learning it!

:: Photographic :: If you could really memorize a long string of code in seconds, it would probably look something like this.

:: Lottery :: This is Matt's version of the add-a-number routine, using the lottery as it's theme. It uses no switch pads or gimmicks, and as a bonus, Matt also teaches a way to do this effect with absolutely nothing on you but a pen and paper.

:: Stop :: A demonstration of suggestion and influence during a simple game with cards.

:: Handy Prediction :: A spectator is asked to hold their hand up, and then drop any amount of fingers. A card the performer is holding predicts the spectators actions.

:: Any Card at Any Number :: Forget about complicated math and card counting and all of that, and get ready for one of the simplest solutions to the "Card At Any Number Plot". With only a deck of cards and a prediction, you'll be able to perform one of the easiest, most baffling effects imaginable on your spectators.

Volume 2

:: PS I Love You :: An impromptu and powerful demonstration of the connection and bond between people, using an ordinary deck of cards.

:: GI Joe :: A method for revealing multiple pieces of information, using an object that you can pick up nearly anywhere.

:: Billet Tear :: With this simple tearing sequence, you'll be able to reveal almost any piece of information that the spectator can think of.

:: Instinct :: This is a simple Russian roulette routine which has been used and tested by Matt for many years. The method is genius, and once you learn it, you'll be able to perform this miracle with a variety of presentations. Also included is a bonus idea not offered on the original Instinct video, something which gives the effect a nice extra punch at the end. Warning: Do not perform this effect if you are under the age of 18. Anyone who performs this takes full responsibility for their actions.

:: Preservation :: A multiple phased pk effect in which you're hands, wrists, and even the objects/environment can be completely examined beforehand.

:: Point and Predict :: After the spectator shuffles the pack of cards and spreads it across the table, they are asked to touch one, their choice completely free. The card box is then opened, showing a prediction that's been in play since the beginning. It predicts their chosen card.

:: Dark Arts :: A drawing duplication of the simplest design. The spectator makes a drawing, which is concealed in an envelope and held in their own hands. The performer then makes a drawing that perfectly matches the spectators.

I can tell you about Instinct. I've performed it live and it is the closer to my close up gigs.I can also vouch that Matt's methods are as the ad says.. CLEVER and SIMPLE .. they are key words.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
3663 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Been watching Volume 1 (instant download).

Serial and CAAN are worth the entrance fee Smile

Serial is a perfect example of Matt Mello style effects. I will be using this! Right away.
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
791 Posts

Profile of Nechto
I'm pretty interested in this, any other reviews? I like the sound of serial, handy prediction, GI Joe and preservation.

I may just jump in!

Best,

Ben
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
694 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Matt has some great material.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
ranpink
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
249 Posts

Profile of ranpink
I picked this up at Mindvention and I think Mr. Mello's material is excellent. There are many great close-up/impromptu and off the cuff mentalism effects on these volumes. Very usable stuff.

Serial is one of my favorites as well.

Ran
Creator of CUT

T-REX

Abnormal Behavior

ZEN SYSTEM

tāctilis

White Room

Think Pink - Central Intelligence

http://www.worldwidemagic.com
matthewmello
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thanks guys. Glad you like it. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

Matt
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1778 Posts

Profile of ted french
The Dark Arts Drawing Dupe is great, I also love handy prediction for business card magic.
P3
practice practice perform.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
3663 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
My thoughts

Volume 1

:: Serial :: This is worth the price alone in my eyes. I know a few serial divinations, but none that I would actually perform. This is one of the best impromptu effects that I know. The timing for the effect is great, and all you need is a borrowed bill.

I had a grin on my face watching the explanation.

:: Coffee Melt :: Great handling. Obviously we aren't doing real magic here. You will need small prep for this that take not even a minute. Anyone can do and it looks really really good. You can hand out the straw after, nothing to hide.

:: Photographic :: An updated version of "Graphic" from the mental playground. I could do the same effect with a memorized deck but if you don't know any. I thought this was a touch of genius using your natural surroundings to help you with an effect. My jaw dropped when he explained this. I really like this kind of "Rain man" effect. Clever pup.

:: Lottery :: The way he did this was fun, uses a mathematical approach. Fun, simple, clever, my cup of tea. Gets 3 people to participate in the effect.

:: Stop :: This was really fun and easy to do! Gives you outs if this doesn't work as planned. I plan on working with this to see how it plays.

:: Handy Prediction :: Based on a classic method. I think this needs more phases to make it be more worthwhile to perform. Clever though.

:: Any Card at Any Number :: A highlight from the first volume. A very very nice touch on a "Open Prediction" plot with a number the spectator names. Easy enough to pick up very quickly. The shuffling process and dealing process that you include the spectators in makes the effect seem very fair.Normal Deck. Easy. Fair. Not necessarily a ACAAN from my POV.
One that I will perform for sure!

Worth getting for sure, I got useful things out of this I can put in my set, Serial and ACAAN were the highlights for me on this volume. I plan on getting volume 2 sometime. Highly Recommended
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
898 Posts

Profile of muse
The trailers gave pretty much nothing away, and I feel no wiser at all having seen them. The trailer for volume 2 is marginally more informative. Nothing against Matthew Mello, or his work, but the trailers seem to me to be an object lesson in how not to advertise, and they make me wary of the videos.

There is a decent descriptive text on the website though, and it sounds interesting.
papercrane
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of papercrane
Just saw this from Gabe Abelson:

Just stumbled upon a 2-DVD set which, as far as I know, has flown under the radar- "Modern Mentalism", by Matt Mello and Papercrane. I have no idea how long this has been out, but there's some wonderful close-up stuff, here.
The routine, "Serial", is perhaps the most devious serial no. divination I've come across (and my favorite routine on the DVD)- you divine the number of the spectator's actual bill- with no sw*tch involved. Very direct and hard-hitting. I couldn't wait to run out and perform this. It kills.
"Melt", A terrific PK bend of a commonly found item.
"Stop", a strong routine of subliminal influence which involves a small amount of risk, but that's what it's all about, ain't it, fellas?
"Handy Prediction", a two-phase effect based on Al Baker's "The Finger Knows And Tells" - everything on the DVD that's a variation (in many cases, an improvement) on a theme is well-credited.
A brilliant version of ACAAN, that's virtually sleight-free and can be done with a borrowed, shuffled deck.
A practical, elegant, easy-to-learn billet tear.
"Point and Predict", another strong prediction effect.
"Dark Arts", a wonderful close-up drawing dupe.

Anyway, there are many more effects on this DVD set, each one a real-world worker. All of them require minimal set-up, are basically sleight-free, and are very well explained. Can't believe there wasn't more buzz about this. Highly recommended.
drorwis
View Profile
New user
Israel
95 Posts

Profile of drorwis
Sounds intresting...
is "seriel" restricted to u.s currency?
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2010-11-13 14:36, drorwis wrote:
Sounds intresting...

No!
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
matthewmello
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Quote:
On 2010-11-13 14:36, drorwis wrote:
Sounds intresting...

I can't go into too much detail without giving away the method, but if it's a paper currency, you should be able to find a way to apply my routine to your own. You'll just have to come up with your own justifications for doing things. But, if you can't apply it, I would hope that you'd find enough value in the other 13 routines to make the purchase still worthwhile.

Matt
drorwis
View Profile
New user
Israel
95 Posts

Profile of drorwis
Thanks for the answer, I just bought the download version.
drorwis
View Profile
New user
Israel
95 Posts

Profile of drorwis
Thanks for the answer, I just bought the download version.
papercrane
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of papercrane
Just saw this over on the Theory 11 forum:

MODERN MENTALISM - matt mello

Modern Mentalism is a collection of 14 effects from the mind of Matt Mello, spanning 2 volumes, It is one of the few DVDs on the market that appeals specifically to the entertainer that performs mentalism close up. Another unique feature of Modern Mentalism is the absence of sleight-of-hand methods and awkward props. Instead, Modern Mentalism uses clever principles, interesting plots and extremely simple methods to create a collection of close up mentalism worthy of both casual and professional performers.

*Rather than going over each effect, one-by-one, I’ll only discuss my favorite effects from both Volume 1 and Volume 2. These are my first impressions, although for a few effects, I have performed them before for real audiences in real environments.

VOLUME 1:

Photographic - If you could really memorize a long string of code in seconds, it would probably look something like this.

*An updated version of Matt’s effect, “Graphic”, which he released about a year ago. I have to say I really enjoy this effect, a lot. It’s an effect with a great premise with a very clever method that’s hidden in plain sight that achieves a very realistic performance – no crib sheets or memorization needed.

Lottery - This is Matt's version of the add-a-number routine, using the lottery as its theme. It uses no switch pads or gimmicks, and as a bonus, Matt also teaches a way to do this effect with absolutely nothing on you but a pen and paper

*Another amazing effect on the Download. I think this is a very clever use of the principle and it’s definitely one of my favorites so far. The use of the lottery theme is a fantastic take and the fact that it involves 3 spectators with an unbelievable ending really makes this one of the best on the Download.

Any Card at Any Number - Forget about complicated math and card counting and all of that, and get ready for one of the simplest solutions to the "Card At Any Number Plot". With only a deck of cards and a prediction, you'll be able to perform one of the easiest, most baffling effects imaginable on your spectators.

*More of an “Open Prediction” with an “ACAAN” plot. I love the fairness and simplicity of the effect – no stacks or memorization needed – and the spectator is really open to choose any number of her choice which makes that effect much more astonishing (and she’s also allowed to shuffle the deck beforehand). Everything is shown opening and cleanly… practically impromptu!

VOLUME 2:

Billet Tear - With this simple tearing sequence, you'll be able to reveal almost any piece of information that the spectator can think of.

*A very simple and easy “Billet Tear” you’ll have down in minutes. I believe this was included in “Technique”, another one of Matt’s releases, and I’ve been performing it since, especially in times when I don’t have anything on me. You’ll definitely get very strong reactions with this.

Instinct - This is a simple Russian roulette routine which has been used and tested by Matt for many years. The method is genius, and once you learn it, you'll be able to perform this miracle with a variety of presentations. Also included is a bonus idea not offered on the original Instinct video, something which gives the effect a nice extra punch at the end.

*Definitely a ‘diamond in the rough’ for “Russian Roulettes”. It combines a simple method, again, hidden in plain sight with clever thinking to leave you steps ahead of the spectator – no gimmicks, Sharpies, PK rings or magnets needed - a 100% impromptu and perfectly safe “Russian Roulette”.

Point and Predict - After the spectator shuffles the pack of cards and spreads it across the table, they are asked to touch one, their choice completely free. The card box is then opened, showing a prediction that's been in play since the beginning. It predicts their chosen card.

*I really like the openness and fairness of “Point and Predict” – a spectator freely touches any card, and when the box is opened, you show you’ve predicted it beforehand – it’s that clean. It’ll take a little practice, but the payoff would be worth it. And the fact that the spectator takes the prediction out of the box really gives it that extra punch to show nothing could have been switched or added to the box – because literally there’s only 1 prediction in the box.

CONCLUSION: This Downloads definitely hold some great material that’s worth picking up, because you’ll find something you’ll like and actually perform. Matt is a incredible teacher and goes over the handling of each effect, along with tips and his afterthoughts. Papercrane’s quality is perfect, as usual. A set that should be checked out, so with that, I hope you enjoyed my review.

OVERALL RATING: Recommended

JV
matthewmello
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Wow. It's great to see people liking a lot of the material. Let me know what you think after you've have had a chance to go out and perform them for real people. Also, I haven't heard anyone say anything about PSILoveyou, and it's probably the effect I perform the most--my opener at nearly every table. Don't overlook it.

Talk to you all soon,

Matt
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Just going through it, but really like Matt's thinking. I've already started using his serial number routine. I've combined it with a few other effects I like to do.

One version is combining it with Joshua Quinn's Thought Chunneling. I ask the spec to remember the letter, and then use it to do some chunneling, many times I can incorporate either a presidential name or state, so it ties naturally into the theme of money.

Other times, I've been using it as Matt does in the video, writing the numbers on my hand. I then go into a Rob Domenesch's excellent effect "Strange Feeling". This turns the table on the spec, and has them reading your mind in terms of numbers.

Anyway, as you can see, I'm enjoying Matt's material.
Mike.Hankins
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Mike.Hankins
I am sure there are 44,048 other reasons to get into mentalism. But I am hooked on SERIAL, and have already added it to my regular bar gig.

Super stuff!!

Mike
Mike.Hankins

Instagram: MHMagic77

Twitter: @HankinsMagic

FaceBook: Yup!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
Bad Luck Network
10916 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Wow this is looking real good. Close up mentalism is what interests performers most this time of year.
matthewmello
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Mr. Mindbender,

Those are some awesome routine ideas. Very strong. Good stuff!

Mike,

That's great that Serial has found a spot in your bar gig. I've been using Serial in my restaurant gigs for about three years, and it always kills and plays perfectly in that environment. Let me know how it plays for ya.

Decomposed,

Thanks, and I hope your right! lol.

Talk to ya later guys,

Matt Mello
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2528 Posts

Profile of lunatik
How long until the dvd's are released?
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"

What is the mental malfunction that some people suffer from that compels them to demand being able to kill the most vulnerable and innocent members of the human race? What kind of society champions the killing of nascent human life rather than demanding that adults behave responsibly?
matthewmello
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Lunatik,

I believe the DVD's should be available in about a week.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
3663 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I performed Serial twice last night, Yes it was while standing in line for Harry Potter lol. I've been revealing 3 to 4 numbers on the bill. Then at the end I reveal the letter before the numbers so they have to take the bill back out of their pocket.
matthewmello
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Nice man. Good to hear.

I went to the midnight showing of HP as well lol. It was so sick.

Matt
matthewmello
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Hey guys,

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that the dvd's for Modern Mentalism are now available! You can purchase through paper crane or through penguin magic here...

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=2352

Other dealers should be getting the product in a couple of weeks.

Enjoy!

Matt Mello
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
This looks really good. Would I be right in saying you could just do a whole mentalism show with this + Psypher?

Also, would I have to buy any additional props?
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
matthewmello
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
CrestfallenLyric,

With the exception of GIJoe, Preservation, and Coffee Melt, nearly all of the effects are impromptu. Most only require you to have the "needed" objects--like needing the lottery ticket for Lotto, or cups for Instinct.

I'm all about being as gimmick free as possible lol.

Matt Mello
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2300 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Sounds really good, and I really liked the last Matthew Mello item I purchased. I placed my order.
flipped
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of flipped
I just watched the dvds. My favorites so far are: serial, handy prediction, acaan, ps I love you, instinct and darkarts.

However, my volume 1 dvd seems to have a glitch at the 7:37 mark and the introduction on vol. 2 dvd has audio sync issues. Does anyone else have this problem?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Papercrane :: Matthew Mello's Modern Mentalism (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.329981 seconds, requiring 86 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [8] [2] [7] [7] [3] [2] [3]