The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with IET (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pepita
View Profile
New user
Paris
71 Posts

Profile of pepita
Hello,

I am beginning using IT and bought a few of Mesika's loops.
But it looks that they really show on me (don't know to what extent I can describe :-/).
Is it because I am misusing them or do you advise other IET ?
CRMagius
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of CRMagius
Lighting is your main enemy. I often use the phrase, "Gather in close, so you can see this" Smile
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Mesika's are probably the best out there. I've found that other brands are much easier to see (except Carries, here on the Café). Hers are so invisible I lose them all the time.

Try a few routines and let someone who knows the secret watch you. Maybe you can see it because you know it's there.

Jim
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
It might be your costume? The 'stuff' works best against less flashy and bright colors, etc.

Also, try to have what lighting is available 'behind' you if possible.

Best,
Brad Burt
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
I'm at the same point you are Pepita. I bought an Alpha Reel and spent a month working on a simple floating napking routine. I've read all about lighting from Ron Jaxon's web page on IT. I went to a party that I knew would have dimmer lighting - all set to try out my new routine. I tried, even in fairly dim lights, to find a good place to use my set up, but as I pulled out a few feet of the thread, I could always see the reflection on the thread from some light source in the room. In the end, I was too worried to attempt the trick.

I'm wondering if Jim is right - I've gotten used to seeing the thread.

Tim
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
pepita
View Profile
New user
Paris
71 Posts

Profile of pepita
Thanks for your answers and useful suggestions.

I'll have to try Carries' IT maybe.
And I'll check Ron Jaxon's page if I find it.

The Mesika IT I have actually shows not because of reflection but of the colour (I am using it with a red costume, red curtain and a red item, I have very pale skin).

I did the routine for my boyfriend to watch (never told him any secrets). The firt times, in the evening with dim light, it worked perfect, but the last time, in the day time with natural light, well, ***, he saw it ! Now, he was probably looking for it too lol.

And I often perform in such conditions (kid shows). And kids have a sharp view !

I love the effect so much, I'd love to find a way.
CRMagius
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of CRMagius
As far as the "shine" - The thing I hope we're all aware of is that it isn't so much whether the lighting is bright or dim, but whether it is direct or indirect.

I can get away with it easily on a bright, but overcast, day. In the dimly-lit pub, though, I have to use "Gather in close, so you can see this", to make the specs block out the light for me.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
When it comes to seeing the thread itself (As in a black line). It's highly unlikely that your spectators will see this. I'm not saying impossible but 90% of the time when the thread can be seen it isn't the black line they see. It's the glare of light off the thread that they usually see. So if you're seeing it your right. It might be because you know it's there.

I always use a thump tip as a metaphor for this. When you first started using one you where probably always worried people will see it. I know I was. And as a result of that worry I'd move unnaturally with quick hand movements so they couldn't see it. But when you move unnaturally that alone is a big give away. The same is true with invisible thread. It's not likely they'll see it but your actions can scream "thread".

Also, if you make a red silk vanish with a thumb tip. They'll be looking for something red when it vanishes. If they don't see something red then it's gone. When making something float or move with IT. They're watching the object that's moving or floating. If they are looking for something that can be holding it up they'll usually look above the floating object if it's free floating (As in no hands near it). In most hook ups there isn't any thread above it so you don't have to worry about that. Now if you're making something float just a couple of inches above something. Such as a ball floating just a couple of inches above the palm of your hand. Then below the floating ball becomes the "hot spot". They'll be looking for something between the palm and the ball floating above it for something to be holding it up. This isn't the case so they won't find anything there. The same is true with some self levitations. The hot spot is usually under your feet (Which ironically is the one place they usually can't see in most methods. LOL). Some will think above your head too but their minds usually cancel that out after one quick glance above you. So then the heat goes under your feet.

So the glare off the thread is your worse enemy because that's bright and can bring their eyes to it. But the thin black line is far less likely to be seen.

pepita mentioned wearing red. That's not necessarily a bad color for thread work. But it might make it easier for you to see it when you know it's there. It's like some threads I use I have to hold it under a bright light over a white sheet of paper to see it. And sometimes when you can see it from your point of view it's less likely it'll be visible from your spectators point of view. Because sometimes you're the only one seeing it at a bad angle with the lighting you're in. So test it out but keep performing.

I hope that helps.

Ron Jaxon

Here's a suggestion. If you have a trusted friend you spend time with often. Every once in a while make something float for them for a second and ask if they can see it. Try this in different lighting conditions.

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
359 Posts

Profile of Loopback
Thanks for some great advice and info on working with IET Ron
pepita
View Profile
New user
Paris
71 Posts

Profile of pepita
Many many thanks, M. Jaxon !
It's really interesting and is going to help me a lot !
And make me more confident too.
crochow
View Profile
Regular user
Youngstown, Ohio
129 Posts

Profile of crochow
The best thread I've ever used in all my years is by Steve Fearson, his new Vectra thread! True, you see the light reflecting off the thread... if you have a back light. Similar to when the sun is setting over a lake in front of you, you see the 'shimmer' on the water. Steve's thread is pressure dyed to help reduce this. Try, you'll like it.... it's NOT 100%, you still have to be careful, but it's the best I've found.and very strong too!
Magically,

Chris Rochow
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with IET (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL