The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Backdraft by Cameron Francis: a review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Card magic has perhaps more "holy grails" than other sub-genres of magic. Obviously ACAAN and Stewart James almost mythical proposition called 51 Faces North are two of these grails that have received a lot of attention over the years to reach what Jon Racherbaumer might call "The Real Work." The prediction effect is yet another grail and Cameron Francis serves up yet another approach to prediction effects with his latest offering entitled "Backdraft." Strap yourselves in and prepare to exercise your eyes; the effect is worth wading through my review.

Effect: The magician claims that every magician has a "lucky card.". A rubber banded blue card case is shown. The deck is taken from the card case and placed aside. The band is removed and the magician reveals a three card sandwich on the case consisting of a RED backed indifferent card flanked by two Jokers. The spread is closed and left under the blue card case.

The spectator is asked to name ANY card - yes this is a free choice - in an attempt to see if the spectator can guess the magician's lucky card. The magician spreads through the pack and removes the freely named card. The magician states however that that the named card is NOT her/his lucky card. The magician spreads through the pack and up-jogs a number of cards stating that the lucky card is actually among the cards s/he is holding and that to make it a little easier for the spectator to guess the lucky card, the spectator calls out a number. The card resting at the number called by the spectator is removed. The magician then takes the card case with the sandwiched cards that has been isolated and, in a moment of magical wonder, shows that the isolated RED card is indeed her/his lucky card matching the one that the spectator ascertained by number! But, the magician states that s/he had a sort of premonition that morning and asks the spectator to turn over the lucky card and on the BACK of the lucky card is a drawn representation of the card FREELY NAMED BY THE SPECTATOR at the beginning of the effect!! All three cards may be examined until the cows come home or when I make it big in magic - whichever comes first Smile (Note: I am betting on the return of the prodigal cows.)

Yes a long effect description, but, I wanted to capture EXACTLY what the spectator sees. This effect is wonderful and I want to detail some salient points before moving on to the actual review:

1. The card IS freely named at the outset.
2. The sandwich IS truly isolated under the card case.
3. Nothing is added or taken away.
4. There are no switches or other flummery to worry about.
5. Easy reset
6. A different card EVERYTIME!

What you get: Included in the download is a video with performance, explanation, PLUS, as Cameron does so much, an additional handling AND a bonus effect. You also receive a supplemental PDF. This is important as it details certain things you need to know that are not covered in the video explanation. Personally I like this approach with regard to instruction in a downloadable effect.
The production values of both the PDF and the video are very well done.

Difficulty level: The effect is STRONG and the method is very easy. However, do not discount the effect because of the ease of method. This is an effect that Annemann and Hamman would have LOVED.

"Stuff" (cool title, no?): Cameron has painstakingly made sure that every step of the handling is logical and motivated. The handling has a very easy flow to it and you will be up and running with this effect in 30 minutes tops!
The streamlined handling of the effect is very nice but there is only one prediction. This is not a weakness however and it offers a very strong alternative to the main handling that may fit you better. The bonus effect is very nice and, to borrow a line a from Harry Lorayne, the principle behind Backdraft is a "pathway idea." That is to say, many possibilities await exploration using the modus operandi. Already I am thinking of adding a third climax. Yes I do believe in overkill, and Backfire really allows for such possibilities and more.

Verdict: If you are looking for a prediction effect that will fry non-magicians, you simply must get this. The moment of impossibility at the second climax is simply amazing. The method is so very devious and clean and this effect is perfect for walk-around as well as formal sets. The reset is a snap making this a VERY welcome addition to a working repertoire.

I loathe numerical scores, so, I will simply say, if you are looking for a really strong prediction effect to add to your working repertoire, Backdraft is waiting for you. Snag this before one of your competitors does. You'll be sorry if you don't and you see another performer eliciting that scrumptious "WTF moment" from her/his spectators Smile

अहिंसा

Vlad

PS: Many people reading reviews are wary of glowing assessments of effects, especially in these rather challenging economic times. As such, they will seek out negatives to "balance" the positive review. There are no negatives here per se. The effect does require some one time preparation, but, once done, can be done at any time.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Thanks, Vlad. Really happy you are enjoying it.

it will be out December 10th.

Demo here:

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

I will give out a few more review copies soon.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Sounds great! Smile
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Sorry about that! Here's the correct link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGkp5zY5d48
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
pduffie
View Profile
Veteran user
Scotland
340 Posts

Profile of pduffie
Hi Cameron;

This is one of your best routines yet. The finish is a complete knock-out.

Peter
Alternative Magic
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
This is a great addition to my working repertoire Cameron. I really like this routine and really, really powerful stuff. Congrats Cameron for coming up such an excellent routine.

Andrew

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
autfan
View Profile
New user
Lafayette, TN
44 Posts

Profile of autfan
I recently purchased all five of the Moment's Notice Series from Cameron and they are all great. I watched the demo to Backdraft and I know that this will totally fry my workmates when I perform it for them. I will be ordering this as soon as it is available.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Thanks, guys. Really appreciate it! I might move up the release date. I have to say, I've been getting a lot of interest in this!
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I agree. Backdraft is a pimp effect. This is one of those effects that you can break out anytime, anywhere for a kick in the teeth moment of amazement. I was going to post a long review, but Vlad has covered everything eloquently so I would just be retyping the same things.

Long story short...

GET THIS!

DO
do magic

www.8bom.net
Jon Hackett
View Profile
Special user
UK
737 Posts

Profile of Jon Hackett
This looks really great Mr Francis!

I must say I have to agree with Mr Duffie (BTW anyone waiting for this from Mr Francis, I have been REALLY enjoying going over Card Conspiracy 1 & 2 from Mr Duffie and Mr Robertson) this effect looks like your biggest blockbuster yet!

I shall look forward to purchasing this!

Good day gentlemen!

Jon Hackett
It is not the brains that matter most, but that which guides them -- the character, the heart, generous qualities and progressive ideas. Doystoyevsky
Bietfriek
View Profile
Special user
Bye, bye after
502 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
Nice effect Cameron!
I think I know a method but maybe that's too much hassle compared to yours..
Did you know Peter Eggink also has an effect called ''Backdraft''?
It's a transposition effect but I don't know if this will give you any problems...
Watching out for the release !
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

I actually just saw that Peter has an effect called Backdraft coming out at some point. Not a big deal, though. This kind of thing happens all the time (Remember Tagged & Tagged which came out around the same time?). I doubt it'll cause much confusion as the effects are so different.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

All review copies have been sent out.
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
I presume that the deck is only suitable for his effect. Any idea about the price yet ?

Frans
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Like most of my downloads, the price will be $10.

The deck is special. However, there is a gimmick involved which can be used for loads of other stuff.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Vlad's reviews are entirely unfair.

They gain access to my bank account at a distance, like some weird Quantum Entanglement phenomenon. They extract my money and send it through the ether to the merchant Vlad recommends.

This also tends to happen with "Cameron's Creations."

So this post leaves me defenceless. I thank whatever Deity I may pray to for the ease of PayPal and giddy instant gratification thereof...
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
I am currently reading through this. So far, it is AWESOME!

Kyle
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Make sure you watch the video, too! Smile
KingOfDiamonds
View Profile
Elite user
Paris
427 Posts

Profile of KingOfDiamonds
Backdraft is the kind of gimmicks that opens many possibilities only limited by your imagination. The routines included in the PDF are worth the asked price. Predicting the impossible has rarely been that easy, practical and effective all together (whatever that means).
NEW E-BOOK! Sneak: 12 card tricks based on the same principle.

https://www.lybrary.com/rapha%c3%83%c2%abl-czaja-m-534.html?affid=3322
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Sounds good. I predict that Cameron will not starve during those long cold winter nights. Good luck with this pal.

jc
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Backdraft by Cameron Francis: a review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL