The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Being a Bad Magus. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
I am almost done with my reading of Hay and Corinda. Mind you; my first reading of both works has been academic. I just tried and grasped concepts and practiced a few sleights. I did not buy any equipment and worked only with things I had around. (I had a few Bicycle decks, Poker and bridge, About 7 silver half dollars [not in very good condition], made a few swamis [very crude], Never got the silks right [too thick I believe], and a few other insane things. The materials needed where not that expensive but Im a DIY kind of person and have always been that way.

I underlined a few things that I am interested in learning. And have a few questions that have to do with my next step. That of being a very bad Magus! Yes, I said a Bad Magus.

It seems that Mental Magic, and Mentalism just comes natural to me. It maybe because of my prior acting background, and my knack to connect with people everywhere I go. That being said, before I go that route, I would like to become proficient with coins and the billiards. I will concentrate on magic first. I don't know if I should apologize to the pure mentalists for taking this route but I want to stop at coins first.

My question is. as I learn coin work, where can I find opportunities to be a fumbling magus, or a Bad Magician? I have heard in the Café a few times, if I'm not mistaken, that you need to find opportunities to be BAD before you get any good. Where can I find those opportunities? I have shown some tricks to passersby at Lake Eola in Orlando FL, and have messed up a few times, and have received good feedback. Is that a good place? Family and friends just look at you as a family member or a friend that is showing an interesting "hobby"...they don't really take it serious. Anyone?
Respects
Shamsiel.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear shamsiel,

Magic Club meetings and local Magic shops (when customers are not there) are a good place to try things out (after practice). If you don't have a local Magic Club or Shop you can try to get a Magic Buddy to meet with and try things out on each other. A very small group can sometimes be more productive and focused (and honest) than a large one. You are not alone in your problem and someone else could use your help as well.

Once you've worked the kinks out, it's off to Family and friends. Next try people that you don't know well at a friend's party. If you belong to any clubs or you work at a place that has office parties you can do a few tricks at those gatherings. Since you are not hired you are free to do one or two tricks and leave it at that.

The sooner you start the sooner you'll get past the most awkward part of your training. Everyone has to go through it and it's not forgone that you'll be bad but it is forgone that you'll learn and grow if you try.

Good Luck!

-Mary Mowder
shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
Thank you Mary, I will practice and get some things ready to have a feel for performance. I did that a few weeks ago and I didn't do that bad (which in experienced magus speak probably means "Holy ****! this guy is bad!)

With the exception of the magic shop in Downtown Disney, I don't know of any Magic shops in the Orlando, FL area. And its always packed with tourists, not an Ideal place for me. Does anyone know of any shops around the area? I know there is a local SAM ring in the area, I will join soon.

Family and friends know that when I tackle a project I am relentless, but secretive. They usually just see the finished product. So by the time they see a trick I will probably be doing it for a long time. I wouldnt dare perform anything at a friends party at this moment but it is a great tip, and a good place to try material.

Respects,
Shamsiel
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Coins are easy to practice with.

Carry around the right coins in your pockets, always. Get into the habit of practicing slights whenever your hands aren't otherwise occupied, whether anyone is looking or not.. Get in the habit of practicing palming while your hands ARE otherwise occupied, whether anyone is looking or not.

The best way to become natural is for it just to always be part of your routine behavior.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Cyberqat,

Your not suggesting going in and out of palm visibly to the public, just secretly practicing without anyone being able to see it, right?

-Mary Mowder
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Libraries, Assisted living facilities, children hospitals, Veteran's Hospitals all would love to have someone come in a do a show for free, that's just a starting point

I believe there is a section somewhere on the Café about volunteering

Go out and be bad
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Medortho
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Medortho
No one in a nursing home will mind if you fail a trick. Happened to me and I made good experiences nevertheless.
shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
Sounds like a good plan. Now, I need to practice. And then go out into the world and SUCK!
Shamsiel
shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
Quote:
On 2010-12-06 00:05, shamsiel wrote:
Sounds like a good plan. Now, I need to practice. And then go out into the world and SUCK!
Shamsiel

Oh! I forgot to add that at least my 1963 Franklin half-dollar (after a lot of elbow work) shines!
Shamsiel
MrMclachlan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of MrMclachlan
Hello shamsiel,

I would like to thankyou for this post. I myself had similar questions and your post has helped me answer some of those questions

In particular thanks to Mary, I shall use your suggestions Smile

Thanks,
Kane
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-12-05 01:08, Mary Mowder wrote:
Cyberqat,

Your not suggesting going in and out of palm visibly to the public, just secretly practicing without anyone being able to see it, right?

-Mary Mowder

If they ever see you putting it into the palm, you've done it wrong.

Having said that there are moves that reveal and hide the coin. You should first do them in front of a mirror so you know it doesn't show, but after you have the basics down I see no reason no to practice in public. I walked around doing my miser's dream thumb palm move over and over and over again while learning. I"d stick the coin into my palm position (in private, though "private" can simply mean inside your pocket, etc), do various tasks, then pull it out with the reveal, put it back in with a vanish, and go back to what I was doing Smile

Honestly though, unless you make a big deal about it or otherwise draw attention to it you can do almost anything "in public" without people noticing. Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
mtb
View Profile
New user
South Africa
61 Posts

Profile of mtb
Especially true with things people expect to see, like coins. I think it would be a bit harder to practice "in public" with cards.

I have been doing the whole "coins always on me" trick for a while and it is paying off. Smile
shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
Ok. Thanks for clearing that out cyberqat. I learned a lot of things from reading Hay and the tips from the performers at the Café. You, Mary, and lots of others, have helped me tons. Thanks. Now on to bother the coin guys and the mentalists some more with questions. I am so glad that the search function is back! That should keep me from catching lots of flames for asking things covered a zillion times by others.

Quick question. Kind of off topic but since the topic is about being a bad magus... I polished a silver half dollar and now it is kind of slippery. Is this a bad idea? Polishing a silver piece before I try my palming? (Did try the search and nothing on slippery coins).
Respects,

Shamsiel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Being a Bad Magus. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL