The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Switchblade the amazing(and extremely versatile) new card gimmick from Dan Harlan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1775 Posts

Profile of ted french
http://www.papercranemagic.com/switchblade.htm
SWITCHBLADE - Dan Harlan

Color changes, vanishes, transpositions and more... This one gimmick does is all!

Switchblade is a precision-made mechanical device that looks like an ordinary card but this clever gimmick is extraordinary! This modern tool eliminates difficult sleight-of-hand allowing you to perform impossible card magic.

Change one card into another, make the back visually change color, perform an incredible 3 Card Monte, vanish a selected card from your hand and it reappears in the deck held by the spectator... an more! In the included video instructions, Dan Harlan personally performs and teaches you how to use your Switchblade gimmick to do all of this without the hard work.

The best part is Switchblade is so versatile and fun to use that you'll be coming up with your own routines in no time. Previously only available to a select few, Harlan has finally made his ingenious gimmick available to you so that you can experience the thrill of Switchblade!
P3
practice practice perform.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2211 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Interesting. I like your video. A lot of complete performance. Not a lot of hype. (Okay the opening waving the knife around is silly.)
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Lou Cirulli
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Lou Cirulli
Quote:
On 2010-12-15 00:39, Cyberqat wrote:
Interesting. I like your video. A lot of complete performance. Not a lot of hype. (Okay the opening waving the knife around is silly.)

He's waving a switchblade. Hence the name of the effect!
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
Love the new hairdo. This looks very promising!
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
rockthemike
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
694 Posts

Profile of rockthemike
Looks pretty sweet Smile
Michael Wong
Wizard
http://michaelwong.says.so
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1775 Posts

Profile of ted french
Just in case any of you were wondering the gimmick is supplied with the purchase of the download/dvd so there is nothing for you to make, just open the case and start playing with it immediately. This gimmick is also VERY DURABLE you do not need to be delicate there are no threads or anything else that would require you to be gentle, this thing takes a beating and still works great.
P3
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2211 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-12-15 00:55, Lou Cirulli wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-15 00:39, Cyberqat wrote:

He's waving a switchblade. Hence the name of the effect!

yes I know.

It's still silly. He looks silly. He's obviously not a martial artist.

Posted: Dec 15, 2010 10:27am
How do you provide a gimmick in a download? Is some construction required or do you mail it to downloaders?
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1775 Posts

Profile of ted french
We send the gimmick by mail but you get the instructional download immediately.

Posted: Dec 15, 2010 10:39am
That way you can come up with ideas for it immediately. Again the gimmick is sent by mail and it is complete, no craftwork
P3
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
2563 Posts

Profile of RNK
What's the difference between this and Eric Jones' TWIZTED? Anybody know?

RNK
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1775 Posts

Profile of ted french
I don't have TWIZTED but if you watch the demos side by side you can tell they are different. If you need anymore help just PM
P3
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
2563 Posts

Profile of RNK
PMed you Ted!

RNK
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
1928 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
They way magic trailers should be. bravo.. ill pick up a copy when I get home dan... good work
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1834 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Just ordered it out of pure curiosity. The video download is 40 minutes long with approx. 20 minutes of instruction and the rest is performances. After seeing the gimmick the name Switchblade is indeed an appropriate name. Its pretty clever and it would seem (not having the gimmick in hand yet)that it will take a bit of practice to do smoothly albeit not difficult. As with many card gimmicks you are restricted to the use of one card, i.e. the King of Clubs as seen in the demo, but you at least have the option of ordering a Red or Blue back. I really can't see having any problems in wearing out this gimmick as long as you don't bend it as in having it in a deck and doing a riffle shuffle. After downloading the video I opted to place it on a DVD disk rather than taking up 262MB of space on my hard drive. All in all nice work Dan, but you have to something about that hairdo! Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
2563 Posts

Profile of RNK
How thick is the gimmick card?

RNK
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1775 Posts

Profile of ted french
Its a little thicker than a normal card but not noticeable in the hands or in the deck.
P3
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Quote:
He looks silly. He's obviously not a martial artist.

I look silly because I AM silly. Not a Martial Artists?! I have a Black Belt... and matching Pants & Shoes!
--Dan Harlan
Visit My New Site @
www.danharlanmagic.com
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2211 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-12-17 18:24, DanHarlan wrote:
Quote:
He looks silly. He's obviously not a martial artist.

I look silly because I AM silly. Not a Martial Artists?! I have a Black Belt... and matching Pants & Shoes!
--Dan Harlan

Roflol. Nothing wrong with being silly!
Stucky
View Profile
Special user
Still not banned after
990 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
On 2010-12-15 01:05, crestfallenLyric wrote:
Love the new hairdo. This looks very promising!

Because of the hairdo?

Seriously tho', good to see Mr. Harlan releasing stuff again. What is the reset time? Can it be done on the fly pretty easy as it only showed vanishes?
Official Thread Killer
dave
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of dave
This may be a new method, but I have been doing this for many, many years, only my middle card changes to my bussiness card with a bicycle back and the spec can keep it, it is a commercial effect, I wish I could remember the name, all I did was use my printed bus. card,
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1744 Posts

Profile of Platt
Very nice. It reminds me a bit of Slither and some of those other JB magic card gimmicks. Maybe it's just the handling but this looks better. Well done Dan.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1775 Posts

Profile of ted french
The reset is instant. I have received several messages and phone calls about this and I think I should fill people in on the gimmick. The switchblade gimmick is a card gimmick that allows you to perform many different card effect. It does NOT use Rough and Smooth, elastic threads, sticky stuff, no flaps, no double backers, no double facers. This is a completely different kind of card gimmick than what is on the market. Those that have the gimmick know why it's called the switchblade.
P3
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Quote:
On 2010-12-18 09:55, dave wrote:
This may be a new method, but I have been doing this for many, many years, only my middle card changes to my bussiness card with a bicycle back and the spec can keep it, it is a commercial effect, I wish I could remember the name, all I did was use my printed bus. card,

Dave--
Yes, it IS a new method... and more! That old 3 card trick without a name was the inspiration for "Switchblade." BUT... "I didn't want no flap" if you know what I mean. With "Switchblade" you can CLEANLY show ALL THREE cards FRONT and BACK after the middle one has changed, but there's so much more. Over the years I have incorporated the gimmick into numerous routines. On the video I perform a bunch of stuff, including the new version of that old 3 card trick AND my ghostly presentation of "The Homing Card" AND a full, original, "Three Card Monte" complete with a melt-through visual change, transpositions, a color changing back, and a complete change of the money card... all using the "Switchblade" gimmick! The reset of the gimmick is done with a casual, natural action right in front of the spectators. Watch the demo again and you'll see that it's NOT that old 3 card trick, although you can certainly use it to do a modern, visually clean version of it.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My New Site @
www.danharlanmagic.com
theboywonder
View Profile
Loyal user
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
229 Posts

Profile of theboywonder
Is this anything like "The Shark", or is this even better?
It would really be quite tragic
if the world had to do without magic!
dave
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of dave
Well I will try it, as I can say the old effect I was using got great reactions, I just hope that the card can be given away in the end, and my old worn out version , you could not hand out the two remaining cards, but that was never an issue.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1834 Posts

Profile of gaffed
You can hand out the middle card but you cannot hand out the other two cards as one of them is the gimmick. I just got it today but I'm still not at all sure about it as it will take some time to smoothly do it without looking as if your fidgeting about with something. I can't say more than that for fear of any disclosure. As I mentioned in a previous post here that I got the download four days ago. It looked to me as if it would take some practice to do "something" smoothly, and now that I have the gimmick I was right in my assumption. Just something about this that doesn't feel right or natural to me (hard to explain) but it could very well be me. As I said I just received it and haven't messed about with it enough yet to give an honest appraisal.
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1775 Posts

Profile of ted french
@theboywonder this is not like the shark.
P3
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1606 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
I agree not like the shark principle, this gimmick will not wear as easy as the shark gimmick nor do you have to worry about it becoming weak after multiple uses. This gimmick is defiantly a pro item that even hobbyists will love and a work horse at that.
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com

http://www.mysticfloyd.com
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
2665 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Can you use Switchblade to change a card to a spectator's signed card like Don't Blink?
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1844 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Do you have to start with them pre-spread or can you spread them from a closed packet?
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1775 Posts

Profile of ted french
Yes it can change to a signed card and yes you spread them from a closed packet.
P3
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Switchblade the amazing(and extremely versatile) new card gimmick from Dan Harlan (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.260962 seconds, requiring 116 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [5] [4] [1] [1] [6] [1] [1]