The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Switchblade the amazing(and extremely versatile) new card gimmick from Dan Harlan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I had to know,so I purchased it and this is an exact copy of another effect, just as I said before and no credit has been given, I just wasted over $30.00 and I was told in a PM it was not the same, if only I could think of the original name, very disappointing.

I wish Harry Murphy or Bill Palmer were here, they would know more , these 2 are amongst the most knowledgeable guys I have ever seen.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Dave--
Well, I guess it's not a very Merry Christmas for me then is it? I'm concerned. Switchblade is original with me. I've never seen anything like it. I did have a limited release of it about ten years ago, so maybe that is what you're thinking about. My original design was not as clean as the current design, so if you have the original you can check to see if there is an exposed disc on the back of the gimmicked card. I've eliminated that and improved the quality of the construction, plus I included on the video the routines I've developed using Switchblade. I'm sorry if my work falls short of your expectations. I'm just trying to make a quality prop that I've used for years available to other performers. I hope other people find it as useful and fun as I have.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Dan, Let me be clear, I think the basic effect is very strong and the method ingenious, and perhaps the original I have may be yours, but it is much older than 10 years, mine have held up this long but are showing signs of age and wear, I was hoping yours was a much improved version and may be something new, I would be glad to mail you one of mine to take a look at, I'm sure you would be able to tell if it is yours or not, there is a tiny subtly that you point out on you video that this one also has, this could be a tell tale sign.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Dave--
I'll PM you with my address so I can take a look at one of the older ones. I've never heard of anyone else ever trying to make one of these, so I'm curious to see what you have. Of course, I'll return it as soon as I've had a good look at it. Thanks!
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I should also add that Dan provides many routines that are very new and well worth having, one of them is the reverse thinking of the gimick, very clever . As I said before, I really love this and all it can do, and it fits in your shirt pocket, talk about saving valuable pocket space.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
I agree the effects on the DVD are great but its the unlimited possibilities that you have with this gimmick that makes it great. Dave I would love to try the business card idea combined with a biddle type effect.
P3
practice practice perform.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Is this the same thing as The Perfect Monte by Jerry Somerdin?

http://www.fantasmamagic.com/shopping/pr......rod=2157
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Greece
637 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
Looks good.

I can see similarities to Peter Nardi's "Entrapment Gold", so I don't know whether that was what Dave had in mind?

Good luck with it Dan.
Jerry S
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of Jerry S
I have been making a trick called "Perfect Monte" for over 40 years. It retails for $12. "Switch Blade" which reently came out by Dan harlan and is being distributed by Murphys Magic is the same trick as my "Perfect Monte". "Perfect Monte" is sold by Hank Lee, Fantasma, Daytona Magic, Tannens etc.

Dan called me today in good faith and told me he did not realize it was the same as my "Perfect Monte". He said he has 1000 made up and asked if we could make some arrangement so that he may sell the 1000 he has in stock and then discontinue the item.

Hopefully he and I will get together to come to some kind of mutual agreement.

Jerry Somerdin
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Whoops!!
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
Yeah big Whoops, Dan and I are looking into this to see how the 2 products compare. Neither Dan or I want to take anything away from Jerry Somerdin so we will do what we can to find a solution if the products are the same.
P3
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
These things happen. All the time. Sometimes with the intent to steal (um... TAC TIC). And generally, imo, with no malicious intent and no prior knowledge of the similar effect. Even with a lot of research, it's very tough to know everything out there. It's clear from Dan's humble presence on this forum, he has not intentionally ripped anyone off. Mr. Somerdin, it seems you understand this, as you should. Does 'DEVILISH DECEPTION' ring a bell?
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
It should be noted that there is no side by side comparison yet to tell the difference in quality and ease of use between the 2 gimmicks. Jerry's is cheaper, we don't know if they re the same quality and we don't know if they offer the same content. If they are the same then we are not going to pretend like Jerry doesn't deserve credit he does and obviously there has to be some similarities. The real value is not the gimmick, it is the possible applications of the gimmick and that is what Harlan offers here, I love the gimmick but I have used it for so much and based on just ad copy and demo's you get a lot more for the extra 10bucks. What was once a pretty cool packet trick is now taken to completely new level and that is what is great about our industry the combining of minds to push things farther and farther. This does not give people the right to release others effect without their but this is not the case here, this is an obivious case of independent creation and if the 2 are found to be the same then we will work hard to let people know who the original creator is.
P3
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I don't care about Perfect Monte, never even heard of it before. Dan is a professional on so many levels. And, a classy guy!

I look forward to receiving my purchase of Dan's Switch Blade.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I sent the JS version to Dan in Mondays mail, he will then be able to make a perfect comparison think you will find them to be nearly identical, certainly the method is, However , with Dan’s version you do receive a downloadable video that offers some great routines with decent quality tutorials as well.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Yes, after Randwill's post I checked out the demo of Jerry's Perfect Monte at Fantasma. I was surprised to see the similarity of the gimmick, so I tracked down Jerry's number and called him about it. Turns out that I have essentially re-invented his gimmick. Although there are a couple of technical differences in design and manufacturing, and I've utilized the gimmick in multiple ways, both gimmicks accomplish the same thing in basically the same way.

It bothers me when this kind of thing happens. I have been on the "receiving" end of similar situations a few times before so I know how it feels. So, as mentioned, I'll never make or sell any more of these. Once these are gone, they're gone. AND I'm going to SPLIT MY PROFITS with Jerry. Perhaps unheard of, but I feel it's the right thing to do. As a creator of magic, I feel creative magicians deserve to be compensated for use of their intellectual property, even post facto! Lorem ipsum!

So... if you want a "Perfect Monte"-style gimmick (handmade by Dan Harlan) complete with a DVD full of ways to use it, then get a "Switchblade" before they're all gone. If you just want the three card trick, save some money and get "Perfect Monte" (handmade by Jerry Somerdin). Either way, Jerry Somerdin gets the credit and some cash!
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Dan, I can't stress enough on how classy you are! Glad to here everything has been sorted out. It's also great to know that Jerry was willing to work things out with you.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
RogueMD
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of RogueMD
Mr Harlan-
I'm heading over to your site now to purchase... based simply on your integrity.
Class act!

Michael
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Dan , You are very cool, but I say again, your download is full of great new ideas and well worth the price, you have brought new life to an old idea, and that is great, thanks Dave
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
That's very classy, Dan. I am seriously impressed!

Maybe you could make a deal just to sell the DVD to go along with jerry's gimmick?
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Switchblade the amazing(and extremely versatile) new card gimmick from Dan Harlan (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL