The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tenyo Devano Deck Disaster (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Received a Tenyo Devano Deck today, was one of the more recent pieces that I had not gotten around to purchasing. Removed the deck and pulled away the front blank card... unfortunately it was stuck so hard to the gaff I also pulled away the clear plastic track... big bummer! Since I had wrecked the gaff I took the deck apart. It is a nice self contained gaff that I think I will try installing in a Bicyle poker deck... will give me something to do while I wait for another Tenyo deck!

John
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
That sucks - sorry to hear that John. I didn't know that Tenyo made a Devano deck - I'm assuming it uses the adhesive rather than the pins.

Well best of luck with your holiday project!

The Martin Deck is the best one I have run across, but you are probably already familiar with it.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
If it's using adhesive, then it isn't a Devano Deck is it.

Anyway, nice to see that the Japanese plastic toy company are still producing goods up to their normal standards. Smile
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
At least your not bitter Barry.... Merry Christmas!

Actually the gaff is interesting and as typical of Tenyo a little different than the norm. The fault was probally as much mine as I was a little hasty to try it out. Barry I have no intention of getting into a debate with you on this... I fully understand your thoughts on Tenyo... however this is a Tenyo collectors/users forum so avert your eyes <g>.

Hi Saysold, yes I have the Martin version and it is very good. Purchased the Tenyo version more as a collector thing.

John
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Hi John,

Can I be totally honest? I adored Tenyo and in many ways, I still do!

I cut my teeth on their products and owe them for contributing towards my initial interest in this wonderful art.

That said, I won't go (again!!!) into a lengthy diatribe about what I believe is some modern day piracy.

Compared to 'Chu's Magic' - around when I started in the 70's, Tenyo led the way and their products were (for plastic) always so well made and durable. This doesn't now always seem to be the case; and that's a great shame.

Speaking of 'Chu's Magic' - it was worth buying their effects just to have a good chuckle at their instructions - God only knows who they used for their translations!

Maybe I've got a weird way of expressing myself on this forum to garner a debate - if so, I apologise. Smile

Anyway fella, have a great Christmas and New Year.

Bal
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Thanks Barry. I agree on Chu's instructions! Although 30 years from now there will probably be a Chu's forum here on the Café!

John
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Well I certainly see their 70's products being sold on ebaY for quite a few quid - so you could just be right. Smile

Start a 'Reiss Magic Product' Forum, and I'll be the first to contribute. I loved their stuff!
Barry Allen

J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Ah yes, Reiss magic, had quite a few pieces of that when I was a kid. Still have the "Magic Stamp Album".

John
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
How about Tricks Co. Ltd. of Japan? I have several things I have picked up over the years but no idea idea what other things they have produced.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Tricks.Co.Ltd. - Wow forgot about them. I think they had the same translator as Chu's! I must get around to digging out these instruction sheets some day.

So our list of 1970's Magic Suppliers thus far:

- Tenyo
- Chu's
- Tricks.Co.Ltd
- Reiss
- Inzani Henley (they used to be the sole provider of effects supplied to the Hamleys Magic Dept in London - before they also started to supply tricks from the aforementioned companies).

Sorry that this has gone off topic - but once I start getting hooked on the nostalgia of the 70's………..Smile
Barry Allen

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tenyo Devano Deck Disaster (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL