The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard frolics » » Anyone know a good tutorial for the faro shuffle? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1454 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Hello,

does Anyone know a good tutorial for the faro shuffle?

Many thanks and happy Christmas,

Danny
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1454 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Actually should anyone else want a tutorial I found a good one here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57n09JxPWAI
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
454 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Good video. I'd suggest you keep a several packs of cards around the house (and in your pocket when you're away from home) so you can pick up a deck wherever you're sitting idly (that includes the bathroom) and put in a few moments of practice.

If you start with your cards in new deck order it makes it easier for you to see at a glance if you've split the deck 26/26. Learning to split the deck exactly even is one of the biggest tasks ahead of you for learning to do a perfect faro. Always use a gentle touch. The guy in the video looked, to my eyes, to be using a little more force than necessary. Gently, gently, gently.

As I recall, I learned it from the description in Expert Card Technique. Take a peek at that book.

Happy practicing.
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
454 Posts

Profile of epoptika
P.S., Use a new deck.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1166 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Mike Close has an awesome cd-rom on the faro shuffle. Very thorough teaching.
have a nice day
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1454 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Thank you for the tips. I am learning to be more gentle but the 26/26 split eludes me yet!

Have a great New Year,

Danny
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
454 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Danny,

If you practice with your cards in new deck order you will be able to tell easily, with a quick peek, if you've split the cards 26/26. Doing it consistently by just eyeballing the cards will only come with a lot of practice.

You must execute eight shuffles to return the deck to its original order.
Starting in new deck order, each consecutive cut will split the deck between the following pairs;
1. KD/KC
2. AC/AD
3. 7D/7C
4. 4C/4D
5. 9H/9S
6. 5H/5S
7. 3H/3S
8. 2H/2S

When you begin you will have AS at front of pack and AH at back. Each time you cut pack and weave the cards make sure that the AS remains at front and AH at the back of pack. In other words, when you begin the weave, be sure that the top card of right hand packet goes above the top card of left hand packet and bottom card of left hand packet ends up below the bottom card of the right hand packet. (OK, so I'm not a technical writer.)

After eight shuffles the entire deck will have returned to new deck order. (If you've done the shuffle properly.)
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2157 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Paul Gertner's Unshuffling the Faro Shuffle features an in-depth look at the shuffle, and teaches one of the best card tricks of all time http://www.paulgertnermagic.com/faro/faro.html

I like the look of Gertner's version of the shuffle, as it appears that the cards go straight into each other, rather than from any sort of angle that might attract curiosity. It just looks about as casual as a faro shuffle can.

I learned the shuffle pretty quickly (surprisingly so, for me) from Gertner's DVD because I was determined to learn that one effect. You don't need to worry about sighting 26 card packets, as epoptika's chart of key card values will come into play. After you learn the shuffle, you can practice the cut without initially peeking at the card values, then double checking yourself by seeing if you hit the correct card. Eventually you should be able to cut correctly almost every time without glimpsing the faces, at which point you'll be able to apply the faro to all sorts of routines.
Discipline is choosing between what you want now and what you want most.
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
454 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Paul's trick, Unshuffled, is great.

You will notice that, when Paul does the Faro, the cards are not bowed as they are in the tutorial video above. They do not need to be. A light, gentle, controlled pressure on the ends, starting with the top cards and moving to the bottom cards, does the trick.

Be sure your left pinkie supports the bottom right end of its packet and the right pinkie stays at the right, back end of its packet to keep it square. Right forefinger guides the meshing ends by gently sitting on top of the abutting ends as you begin the weave.
jimvines
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
160 Posts

Profile of jimvines
Have you ever seen the one-handed faro?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiVSHPfAta8

Now that one takes some work! Smile
Magician Jim Vines

LotaBowl.com
The Search Engine for Magic Supplies.
Search 1,000,000+ Products From 40+ Magic Dealers.
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
454 Posts

Profile of epoptika
It does look impressive but it actually takes less work than learning a perfect faro.
ehands
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
494 Posts

Profile of ehands
Could someone compare Mike Close's CD instruction with Gertner's on how to Faro on his "Unshuffling the Faro Shuffle" DVD? In the Café, there seems to me to be more endorsements of Close's than Gertner's instruction, but I don't know if maybe Close's CD has been out a lot longer and therefore is better known. And while both are praised I haven't found any direct comparisons between the two.
I know there are good tips among a lot of threads here. Any other really good learning aids?
Thanks
Speed, complexity, and size attract attention. Entertaining with the opposite hints of genius.
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
550 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
Heh. I've just been pointed to the link for my faro tutorial. I didn't upload it, but the comments are worth it!

I wonder what else of mine is lurking in the darker corners of YooChoob...

Ian
Kingman
View Profile
Loyal user
Willow Spring NC
240 Posts

Profile of Kingman
I have both Close's DVD and Gertner's. I found that the instruction that Michael Close gives is more precise. He also covers more tips on holding the cards, the pressure and what to do to fix discrepancies. I learned the faro from him better than from Paul Gertner's. I love Unshuffled and it is one of my favorite affects. I think that you could learn the shuffle well from either one of them, but with Gertner's you get the bonus of a killer effect.

Kingman
I took the Pledge
fingerjack
View Profile
Elite user
CT, USA
494 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 14:36, epoptika wrote:
It does look impressive but it actually takes less work than learning a perfect faro.

Totally agree. Far less work.
dman11
View Profile
Loyal user
PA
221 Posts

Profile of dman11
"Paul Gertner's Unshuffling the Faro Shuffle features an in-depth look at the shuffle, and teaches one of the best card tricks of all time http://www.paulgertnermagic.com/faro/faro.html "

this is how learned, though I still cannot nail a perfect faro everytime....been working on this for months and still get 2 cards towards the end a lot
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2157 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Fact is, too, that some cards faro better than others. I've found that Walgreen's Stud cards faro very well (using Gertner's method, which is the only one I use) almost straight out of the box. They continue to be precise for a long, long time. Bikes sometimes do as well, but then sometimes they don't - they're just a little more uneven in quality. And in my experience, modern standard Bikes are more likely to become a little dog eared during the breaking in process.

In any case, if you have an effect that depends on the faro shuffle, you'd do well to break in the deck (ie, to smooth out the edges) in advance so you're certain that you can nail it every time. If you have one of those decks that just doesn't want to cooperate, put it aside to use for other effects and find one that works. I'm basing all of this on the fact that the first thing I do with any new deck of cards is work on my faros for at least an hour or so.
Discipline is choosing between what you want now and what you want most.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard frolics » » Anyone know a good tutorial for the faro shuffle? (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.103920 seconds, requiring 56 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [4] [2] [6] [8] [8] [1] [4]