The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » New magic app - Magic SMS (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2543 Posts

Profile of lunatik
What's the projected eta on the 1.1 update? being able to customize ones message will be awesome!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"

What is the mental malfunction that some people suffer from that compels them to demand being able to kill the most vulnerable and innocent members of the human race? What kind of society champions the killing of nascent human life rather than demanding that adults behave responsibly?
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1111 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
It has been uploaded to iTunes and I am just waiting for them to approve it so nearly there Smile
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1111 Posts

Sorry Carlwag, nto immediate plans for Android. The reason being there are quite a few versions of the OS and they have different lockscreens, SMS UI, themes etc. It will be difficult to design the app to please everyone or not fair to make some change their look/customisation just for one trick. With the iPhone it is one consistant OS and look and interface.

Shame really as I am currently using Android as my daily phone myself.

Perhaps one day it will be done for Windows Phone 7 as that too has a consistant UI/OS.
carlwag
View Profile
Special user
Huddersfield ,West yorkshire
615 Posts

Profile of carlwag
When my contract is up I'll just have to get an iphone then.

Thanks anyway

Regards carl.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1111 Posts

Good news...

Version 1.1 is now live on the app store. Go update if you own it or if you don't own it, now is a great time to purchase the improved Magic SMS.

In version 1.1 the default reply has been re-worded but the best part is you can now customise the reply to say whatever you want. Other tweaks added too!

Have fun!
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
invested time in the magic community
1891 Posts

Profile of magicmind
I LOVE it...thanks Angelo

my default reads(from the lock)
Hi! Looks like you are doing some entertaining. So you're putting me to the test now? Glad to help you. I see we are thinking of a particular color and...

Thanks for the update....best magic app of 2010 for me!!! and 2011 so far
Pay it forward and remember karma will take it from there
avenger
View Profile
New user
China
34 Posts

Profile of avenger
Angelo,

Looks good in ver 1.1
Now I can play this with my homeland language for my friend.
If the color name and the card can be set myself it will be the best.

Look for my ipod screenshot. I give a little hack ^^

http://www.flickr.com/photos/avenger/set......5195491/

Bole Chen
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1111 Posts

Thanks Bole. Full language support is coming at some point, so even the slide to view and cards, colours and other texts will be changed.
murrari
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of murrari
Just brilliant! I love this trick
Andrew Murray
M.I.M.C. Gold Star
AndrewMurrayMagic

DON'T WAIT FOR INSPIRATION is my brand new e-book with 10 new routines.

APTITUDE is my first PLATINUM e-book with 10 new routines + 'SIGNS' bonus.

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP is available here.

DNA
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1111 Posts

Thanks Murrari. Happy you are happy.

Just wanted to share a good sms reply owners could use in version 1.1, 2nd presentation.

"Hi Chris! Michael told me someone might be texting me at some point to test my psychic powers.So I believe you are thinking of a colour and a playing card. Well, I believe that the colour is Green and your card is the King of Diamonds. Am I right?"
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1111 Posts

Just modified the above reply which I think is now better:

"Hi Chris! I was expecting a text from someone today as Michael told me he was going to put me to the test. Wants me to prove my psychic powers. Smile Anyway I believe that you are thinking of a playing card. That card is the Four of Spades. I love your green jacket by the way ;-)" [Virtual psychic gets the credit]

"Hi Chris! I see that Michael is performing some magic on you right now. Earlier today he sent me a prediction as a text. In it he said he was going to make you think of the colour Orange and the Eight of Hearts. Good isn't he?" [Performer gets the credit]

What other ideas or sms replies are being used?
Flec
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
I'm often asked what my thoughts are on other magicians. I can now say 'oooh I know David Blaine personally...would you like me to text him for you? I'll tell you what, let's see how good he is." I change "Simons" name to David Blaine and it works a treat!

My only worry at the moment is that three or four people have already pulled me up on it and said "smart phones these days all have voice recognition. So the phone recorded my colour and card and that's how it works" - its a shame, because the method is so much better than that! But I think to distract from voice recognition, I will be getting people to write down their cards and colours and perform it that way.

But definitely a great app....5 out of 5!
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
548 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
I always say to people who think 'voice recognition software' that it takes the software quite some time to 'learn' your voice so how on earth is it going to pick up on their voice and accent so quickly? Also, the earlier suggestion of writing it down would overcome this problem.
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
1891 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On 2011-01-10 21:20, Angelo M Carbone wrote:
Just modified the above reply which I think is now better:

"Hi Chris! I was expecting a text from someone today as Michael told me he was going to put me to the test. Wants me to prove my psychic powers. Smile Anyway I believe that you are thinking of a playing card. That card is the Four of Spades. I love your green jacket by the way ;-)" [Virtual psychic gets the credit]

"Hi Chris! I see that Michael is performing some magic on you right now. Earlier today he sent me a prediction as a text. In it he said he was going to make you think of the colour Orange and the Eight of Hearts. Good isn't he?" [Performer gets the credit]

What other ideas or sms replies are being used?

How could I get this to say "Hi(insert my name)!" and then get the spectators name in there too? Other than setting this up every time I wanted to perform it...this would make it customized for a certain person. But in a strolling situation, I think mine works better and the cut off on the home screen (see my post above) leaves them wanting to see the rest without giving anything away prematurely.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
1757 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Quote:
On 2011-01-11 09:14, Flec wrote:
I'm often asked what my thoughts are on other magicians. I can now say 'oooh I know David Blaine personally...would you like me to text him for you? I'll tell you what, let's see how good he is." I change "Simons" name to David Blaine and it works a treat!

My only worry at the moment is that three or four people have already pulled me up on it and said "smart phones these days all have voice recognition. So the phone recorded my colour and card and that's how it works" - its a shame, because the method is so much better than that! But I think to distract from voice recognition, I will be getting people to write down their cards and colours and perform it that way.

But definitely a great app....5 out of 5!

Just have them pick the card (if you have cards) or whisper a card. With picking a card, you have a stronger performance (even you don't know the card) and NO "Voice Recognition".

Greg Rostami
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1111 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-01-13 16:32, magicmind wrote:

How could I get this to say "Hi(insert my name)!" and then get the spectators name in there too? Other than setting this up every time I wanted to perform it...this would make it customized for a certain person. But in a strolling situation, I think mine works better and the cut off on the home screen (see my post above) leaves them wanting to see the rest without giving anything away prematurely.

Magicmind, I am not sure exactly what you are asking. The only way to have what you wanted is to customise it for each performance. Can you give an example of what you FULL sms reply says please?
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
1891 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Mine reads:
Hi Chris! Looks like you are doing some entertaining. So you're putting me to the test now? Glad to help you. I see we are thinking of a particular color and... **unlock** a playing card. Well, I've been thinking very hard about this. I believe "Yellow" and Ace of Clubs have been thought of by your friend. Call me next week and we'll do lunch .

How could I get this to say "Hi (spectators name here)!" Looks like (performers name) is doing some entertaining. (Michael in your example) without setting this up custom each time? As YOU posted above on Jan. 10 @ 9:20PM??????
Other than setting this up every time I wanted to perform it...this would make it customized for a certain person. But in a strolling situation, I think mine works better and the cut off on the home screen (text before the *unlock* above) leaves them wanting to see the rest without giving anything away prematurely.
This gives more time to build the excitement for the reveal. Agree?
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1111 Posts

Hey magicmind. Sorry for the delayed reply.

I think I understand what you are saying but alas the only way to customise the name is to input it yourself before the performance if you know who you are going to perform it to. Otherwise just leave your custom reply more generic so it could apply to anyone.
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
175 Posts

Profile of James FX
Too bad this app (and many others) can't be used for Androids. I like how I can customize my Android phone, but when it comes to these cool magic aps there seems to be a clear advantage to having everyone's look the same.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1111 Posts

Hi James!

I would love to port Magic SMS over to Android but because there are a few versions out there (pre 2.1, then 2.2 and 2.3 HTC Sense and Nexus styles etc) it would be hard to make the trick work for all styles and unfair to ask the user to change a theme, skin or look to fit an app.

The reason IOS was chosen was because of the consistant and identical look no matter which version on. WP7 is also standard in appearance.

:)
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1111 Posts

A great positive review of Magic SMS is in this month's MAGIC magazine. To sum up the review:

"Magic SMS represents a real leap forward in the development of iPhone magic, in terms of its natural feel, its hands-off nature and the huge range of choices it allows a spectator to make. If you have an iPhone and like magic, even just a little bit, you should buy it."
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1111 Posts

Now featured on London's LBC Radio website as the 'Magic App of the Year'
http://www.lbc.co.uk/the-gadget-gurus-be......11-37007

and also in FHM Magazine's Friday Newsletter:
Own an iPhone? We've got ten download codes to give away for the genuinely brilliant (we'd NEVER lie to you) Magic SMS app. It's simple, it's elegant and according to Derren Brown, "beautifully thought through". According to FHM, it'll "make anyone who's had more than two pints in the pub go absolutely batshit crazy".
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1111 Posts

Just a heads up. Update 1.2 is around the corner. Smile
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
1891 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On 2011-04-07 20:55, Angelo M Carbone wrote:
Just a heads up. Update 1.2 is around the corner. Smile

How much longer on 1.2 ? Smile

Got a second app in the works?
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1111 Posts

1.2 should be uploaded to iTunes in the next day or so for approval. Smile

No second app in the works. Sadly magic apps do not do well. Games do.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1111 Posts

Owners of the app will know that your virtual psychic friend takes credit for the magic in Magic SMS. If however YOU want to be the one who takes the credit for the magic, then here is a possible presentation idea:

Say that earlier today you made a prediction and texted it to a close friend. In a moment you will text your friend again to forward that SMS prediction back to you but before doing so, ask your spectator to think of a colour and playing card. Then text your friend saying "Hey can you forward my SMS prediction to me. The one I sent you earlier. Thanks!" The reply comes back as:"This text message is a new form of prediction and was made on the 21st April 2011. I Angelo Carbone, have predicted that a colour and playing card has been freely thought of. They are the colour Green and the Seven of Hearts." Just make sure you enter your full name instead of just your first name in the settings page.

If you want your spectator to take the credit for the magic, then in your patter say that last night you dreamt you were painting the ceiling of Buckingham Palace and you accidentally knocked over a tin of paint. It went all over their expensive carpet. As you looked at the paint on the floor it visually formed into a jumbo playing card. Such a bizarre dream. Ask your spectator to guess what colour the paint was and what card the paint formed into. When they tell you their guess, act surprised and ask how on earth did they know? Say they are absolutely right and say nothing else. When they tell you they don't believe you, say that you will prove it. Say that you called your friend earlier today telling them about the dream and told them everything and that your friend will confirm it. Pick up your iPhone and text your friend saying "Hey remember the dream I told you about? What colour was the paint and what was the card?" The reply will say: "Hey Angelo! Yes that was one strange dream you had last night. Remind me not to ask for your help if I need some painting done Smile The paint you said you knocked over was Green and the card it formed into was the Seven of Hearts."
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1111 Posts

Ok version 1.2 is now live so if you have the app already go update. If you don't have the app, now is a good time to purchase it as for a limited time only there is a discount of a 1/3rd off retail price.

New update supports 12 hour lockscreen clock so US users should be very happy. Other minor tweaks too!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magic-sms/id409372560?mt=8
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1775 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Any chance of a droid app?
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1111 Posts

Hi!

As an Android user myself I would love to have Magic SMS on Android but with so many different versions and skins to contend with, it would be very difficult. Also, unfortunately, magic apps don't make a lot of money.
Roberto Gee
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Roberto Gee
LOVE this! Just got it. Easy to remember, easy to set up and customize depending on your style and presentation. Devastating effect.

First time I tried it, the person good-naturedly REFUSED to tell me her color and card even after she'd sent the text. I had already set it up that my psychic friend might not even be there. So when the return text came through, I just picked up the phone, looked at the message preview and said, "Oh. Not right now. Maybe later," and put the phone away. Easy. Because my psychic friend is in a time zone two hours earlier and this was early a.m. at breakfast.

Next time I tried it, after setting it up conversationally about this psychic friend who's amazing, I just asked them to name a color and then name a card. THEN I pulled out my phone and handed it to them for them to turn on, and went on from there.

For me, anyway, it's actually smoother that way, rather than having them just think of a color and card, then after they've sent their text message, asking them to tell me. Nobody (so far) has even thought about "voice recognition" playing a part, since the phone was off and in my pocket when they told me their color and card.

Inevitably, they or someone else in a group wants to try it again. I just quietly demur and say, "No, no. It's not a parlor game. I don't like to bother him much. I just wanted you to see what he can do."

When they ask if they can contact him for a reading, I offer to email him later and see if he's accepting any new clients. For some reason, he never is.

GREAT WORK! THANKS!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » New magic app - Magic SMS (14 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.300845 seconds, requiring 116 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [8] [7] [8] [4] [1] [2] [7]