The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Lost Art of Equivoque (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
churken
View Profile
Regular user
California
199 Posts

Profile of churken
I am suprised no one mentioned Docc Hilfords E'Voque. I think his manuscript is magnificent.
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Equivoque is one of those techniques that is easy to do REALLY bad. Many magicians have no idea of the underlying psychology and do a very bad job when using this technique making it obvious to the lay spectator. Those magicians would be better off just pushing the correct object over to the spectator and saying, "Use this one." You must have a logical, non-suspicious reason for getting rid of the wrong selections.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
nboisen
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of nboisen
Two recent works with excellent discussion and subtleties on Equivoque are:

1. Hestor Chadwick "The Mental Mysteries of Hector Chadwick"
2. Joshua Quinn "Paralies"
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Central Scotland
1245 Posts

Profile of Colin
Mark Elsdon is a master of this, find his work... it's spread all through it. Wonderfully worded lines which can be adapted to all situations. I gained a lot from it!

Very best wishes,
Col.
bahamagician
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of bahamagician
I am with Churken on this. E'Voque by Docc Hilford is simply beautiful. He also performs it and explains it on one of the Monster Mentalism dvd's (although I can't remember which one).

-=Chris
Free Magic Video Teaches...
The Super Simple Routine that I use to open my act at a 5 star resort...
Learn "Untossed" Today...
Click Here To Get the Free Magic Video
drezmagic
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of drezmagic
There are so many people who cannot perform the equivoque right- If you picked something, why would you "eliminate" it? There are many ways to perform equivoque deceptively though. You have to switch around the choosing method every time and have both outcomes of their choices be equally possible. One of the best ways I have seen in a while, and I forget where I read this, but a spectator puts their finger on 2 objects, and then lifts up one of their fingers. I think most mentalists on this forum can figure out where it would go from here... I use equivoque often but it is important that I make sure the selection process if fair- otherwise it can be very obvious. and yes, I agree with the earlier posters that E'voque by Docc is great!

-
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6751 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Equivoque as a magical technique appeared for the first time in Ponsin's "La magie blance dévoilée."

The term is French and -even if Lee Earl has to reimburse his bets based on a wrong Webster claim-: it is pronounced in French "ekivok" (no pronounced W). The word stems from the prefix equi (like equivalent but, in French, the "u" after the "q" is never pronounced as a W).
Equi as a prefix means "equal" (again no pronounced "U" as "W" in French) in the sense of ambiguous. The suffix -voque stems from Vox with the meaning of the verb "to voice" as in "vocal". Once more, in French, the "u" after the "q" is never pronounced.

Hence Equivoque means "to voice something ambiguous or with equal result."
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5208 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2009-08-10 11:17, drezmagic wrote:
There are so many people who cannot perform the equivoque right- If you picked something, why would you "eliminate" it?

-

Joel,

I saw horrible uses of Equivoque made by some people in the trade...

I think that's why "Equivoque" is also known as "Magician's Choice"... Smile

(And for the record, I also state that in my little treatise... Just ask Colin McLeod!) Smile

Hmmm... Now, that was just a thought!
I suggest you to read... DIRECTIONAL MIND PATHS - Vol.1: Beyond The Veil Of Maya and also to read DANGEROUS - XXI Century Dual Reality Techniques
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Quote:
On 2009-09-21 14:02, Lord Of The Horses wrote:

I think that's why "Equivoque" is also known as "Magician's Choice"... Smile

that put a whole new meaning on the term :
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Central Scotland
1245 Posts

Profile of Colin
Paolo is well and truly on to something very worthwhile!

In fact, Paolo, I have something I'd like you to take a look at! ... feels like I'm talking to a doctor here.

Check your mail,
Col.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2000 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Having been quite properly chastised in another thread for not understanding the thoughts behind this, where can someone horribly guilty of "Magician's Choice" begin to gain a proper understanding of this? Emphasis on "begin" and "proper" - I'm sure there are a lot of foundational thoughts that I didn't get introduced to in Magic For Dummies!

Ed
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1249 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Alain Bellon "ORBIS ARDENTIS " would be also an interesting source for equivoque.

He says in this one that (I quote) :

" Limiting the use of eqivoque to just forcing one object from three , is nothing but a gross trivialization..." (page 3 Orbis Ardentis)

Eqivoque can be used (as stated by Bellon ) for forcing , reducing selection sets, interpreting an outcome or a situation to our own convenience , etc...
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5208 Posts

Absolutely.

Alain is one of the masters in this.

As for the sentence you quote, which itself could be interpreted (isn't Equivoque great?) I tend to agree (albeit not fully).

But, yes, reducing selection sets (which is something you would do anyway IF you started with one or more groups of 30 objects as David Berglas sometimes did) is one straightforward needed skill to perform Equivoque confidently. Interpreting an outcome or stituation to our own convenience again is used in most straightforward Equivoque forcing anyway, especially when you are down to the last objects, if you want to add some finesse to your work...

But I can appreciate here Alain is going for a broader meaning of the term Equivoque (the most common, true dictionary meaning) and thus I can see where this could lead us to.

Alain... If you are here... Please KNOCK TWICE so that we can know of your presence among us!

P.S: Colin, what a powerful piece of mumbo-jumbo you put together! Smile
I suggest you to read... DIRECTIONAL MIND PATHS - Vol.1: Beyond The Veil Of Maya and also to read DANGEROUS - XXI Century Dual Reality Techniques
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3502 Posts

Profile of Turk
I'm surprised that Docc Hilford's excellent "E'Voque" hss not yet ben mentioned on this thread.

Here is another Café link discussing the ptrinciple: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=15&47

and, here is an excellent review of Docc's E'Voque by Doug Dyment:

Quote:
On 2006-03-14 11:03, ddyment wrote:
David de Leon asked:
Quote:
How does this compare to (and/or complement) other works that are sometimes mentioned?

Phi Goldstein’s “Verbal Control”
Jack Dean’s “The Equivoque Choice”
The chapter in the Berglas book
Christian Chelman's approach in “Capricornian Tales”
Stuff by Alain Nu in “Mind Over Matter”
David Eldridge’s “Maximum Mind Control”

It's an evolution of the approach described in the Berglas book, from which it differs in two significant ways. First, Docc has developed a much more "automatic" process, with a script that (once committed to memory) allows one to dispense with most of the "thinking on your feet" aspect, and devote attention to presentation. Second, Docc has given the effect a different focus, which many performers will find to be a more entertaining one.

This latter aspect can be dispensed with, and only the equivoque technique used (which will result in an effect identical to Berglas', but easier to perform). I think that not dispensing with it is the better choice, but it depends on your performing model.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5208 Posts

Because we were waiting for you mentioning it, Mike!

We knew it was coming...
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Central Scotland
1245 Posts

Profile of Colin
Glad you liked my mumbo jumbo!

Docc Hilford's work is wonderful... nuff said!

Col.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Evoke seems to owe a sizeable debt to Phantini.
Dompa
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
251 Posts

Profile of Dompa
Which publication would you recommend most for someone who is already familiar with the technique itself and wants to study it further?

Samuel Catoe's Illusions of influnce

or

David Eldridge's Maximum Mind Control

I already own, Greg Arces instructions from Deep Thought, as well as a german publication about equivoque.

Thanks,
Dominik
Dompa
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
251 Posts

Profile of Dompa
No recommendations?
Oscar999
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
E'voque is real magic!

Docc's manuscript details a subtlety for when you get down to two items, that's just brilliant ... I was delighted he did NOT tip that on the Monster Mentalism DVDs (the subtlety, that is)

Docc Rocks!

Oscar
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1587 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Quote:
On 2009-10-01 13:51, Oscar999 wrote:
Docc's manuscript details a subtlety for when you get down to two items, that's just brilliant

Docc suggests that if the specified item is selected part-way through the performance, then you end then and there.

But while that makes sense, I always continue until I get to just two items ..... because I think that that subtlety to which you refer packs such real power.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
989 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
For those that are reading this thread for the resource-information about equivoque...if you promise not to tell, there is an excellent chapter on the subject carefully hidden within the pages of Lewis Jones' "Encyclopedia of Impromptu Card Forces". Also, Bryn Reynold's 'Seven' and my own 'Cast Away' are two more effects that take advantage of the principle.
The 5 Obligations of Conjuring: STUDY. PRACTICE. SCRIPT. REHEARSE. PERFORM.
Visit Mick Ayres' Wares! Click here
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... two of me is one too much ..
2626 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 15:32, Mick Ayres wrote:
...if you promise not to tell, there is an excellent chapter on the subject carefully hidden within the pages of Lewis Jones' "Encyclopedia of Impromptu Card Forces"...

Pssst, but thanks. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
1798 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 15:32, Mick Ayres wrote:
For those that are reading this thread for the resource-information about equivoque...if you promise not to tell, there is an excellent chapter on the subject carefully hidden within the pages of Lewis Jones' "Encyclopedia of Impromptu Card Forces". Also, Bryn Reynold's 'Seven' and my own 'Cast Away' are two more effects that take advantage of the principle.

Thanks for the mention of SEVEN, Mick!

Some great equivoque-related sources are mentioned within here...

Bryn
THE LOGAR SCROLLS eBook is now available.
Price is $45.
Available at Outlaw Effects:
http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-arsenal/e-books/the-logar-scrolls.html
Or PayPal me at: cavscout19@hotmail.com
Contact me for LOGAR & SAFWAN PAPERS Combo Deal
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1213 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
How restrictive is the definition of "equivoque"? I use what I believe is the basic concept in a lot of ways, some of which don't resemble "magician's choice" at all. But, if the only qualification is using changeable responses to lead to the same eventual conclusion (although, maybe not all of the conclusion is revealed?), then I guess it would fall under the umbrella of "equivoque".

Or is the definition more specific?

BTW, I absolutely love it and I believe it is one of the top 3 most powerful tools in our arsenal...one which blows the minds of magicians in the audience! M*****le o*ts being another (which I believe is a cousin of equivoque and sometimes the line between them is a bit blurred).
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4703 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 13:05, Dave Le Fevre wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-10-01 13:51, Oscar999 wrote:
Docc's manuscript details a subtlety for when you get down to two items, that's just brilliant

Docc suggests that if the specified item is selected part-way through the performance, then you end then and there.

But while that makes sense, I always continue until I get to just two items ..... because I think that that subtlety to which you refer packs such real power.

Dave

Dave, good idea to continue on. Thanks for the tip.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2817 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Pick up two of these books,and now hand me one...

Quote:
On 2003-07-23 01:37, dAvId tOnG wrote:
A couple of good sources/books for Equivoque:

1) Mind Control
2) A Section in The Mind and Magic of David
Berglas (his method allows you to force
an object out of 20!!!
3) Verbal Control by Phil Goldstein
4) Some interesting ideas by Lee Earle in
his new book M.I.N.D.
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1213 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
If you could only recommend one book on the subject to read (assuming the mentalist already knew what equivoque was), which one would you suggest? Smile
Dompa
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
251 Posts

Profile of Dompa
Quote:
If you could only recommend one book on the subject to read (assuming the mentalist already knew what equivoque was), which one would you suggest?

I already asked the same question and got NO answer so far. I think that means that all the mentioned books are worth to read and all of them have some usefull information and twists in it...
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
1960 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2009-09-23 23:12, Turk wrote:
I'm surprised that Docc Hilford's excellent "E'Voque" hss not yet ben mentioned on this thread.

Here is another Café link discussing the ptrinciple: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=15&47

and, here is an excellent review of Docc's E'Voque by Doug Dyment:

Quote:
On 2006-03-14 11:03, ddyment wrote:
David de Leon asked:
Quote:
How does this compare to (and/or complement) other works that are sometimes mentioned?

Phi Goldstein’s “Verbal Control”
Jack Dean’s “The Equivoque Choice”
The chapter in the Berglas book
Christian Chelman's approach in “Capricornian Tales”
Stuff by Alain Nu in “Mind Over Matter”
David Eldridge’s “Maximum Mind Control”

It's an evolution of the approach described in the Berglas book, from which it differs in two significant ways. First, Docc has developed a much more "automatic" process, with a script that (once committed to memory) allows one to dispense with most of the "thinking on your feet" aspect, and devote attention to presentation. Second, Docc has given the effect a different focus, which many performers will find to be a more entertaining one.

This latter aspect can be dispensed with, and only the equivoque technique used (which will result in an effect identical to Berglas', but easier to perform). I think that not dispensing with it is the better choice, but it depends on your performing model.

Hope this helps.

Mike

E'Voque is wonderful. IMHO, Docc's most significant work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Lost Art of Equivoque (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.417032 seconds, requiring 94 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [8] [6] [1] [5] [9] [4] [7]