The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Lost Art of Equivoque (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Quote:
On 2009-10-01 13:51, Oscar999 wrote:
Docc's manuscript details a subtlety for when you get down to two items, that's just brilliant

Docc suggests that if the specified item is selected part-way through the performance, then you end then and there.

But while that makes sense, I always continue until I get to just two items ..... because I think that that subtlety to which you refer packs such real power.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
For those that are reading this thread for the resource-information about equivoque...if you promise not to tell, there is an excellent chapter on the subject carefully hidden within the pages of Lewis Jones' "Encyclopedia of Impromptu Card Forces". Also, Bryn Reynold's 'Seven' and my own 'Cast Away' are two more effects that take advantage of the principle.
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 15:32, Mick Ayres wrote:
...if you promise not to tell, there is an excellent chapter on the subject carefully hidden within the pages of Lewis Jones' "Encyclopedia of Impromptu Card Forces"...

Pssst, but thanks. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 15:32, Mick Ayres wrote:
For those that are reading this thread for the resource-information about equivoque...if you promise not to tell, there is an excellent chapter on the subject carefully hidden within the pages of Lewis Jones' "Encyclopedia of Impromptu Card Forces". Also, Bryn Reynold's 'Seven' and my own 'Cast Away' are two more effects that take advantage of the principle.

Thanks for the mention of SEVEN, Mick!

Some great equivoque-related sources are mentioned within here...

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
How restrictive is the definition of "equivoque"? I use what I believe is the basic concept in a lot of ways, some of which don't resemble "magician's choice" at all. But, if the only qualification is using changeable responses to lead to the same eventual conclusion (although, maybe not all of the conclusion is revealed?), then I guess it would fall under the umbrella of "equivoque".

Or is the definition more specific?

BTW, I absolutely love it and I believe it is one of the top 3 most powerful tools in our arsenal...one which blows the minds of magicians in the audience! M*****le o*ts being another (which I believe is a cousin of equivoque and sometimes the line between them is a bit blurred).
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 13:05, Dave Le Fevre wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-10-01 13:51, Oscar999 wrote:
Docc's manuscript details a subtlety for when you get down to two items, that's just brilliant

Docc suggests that if the specified item is selected part-way through the performance, then you end then and there.

But while that makes sense, I always continue until I get to just two items ..... because I think that that subtlety to which you refer packs such real power.

Dave

Dave, good idea to continue on. Thanks for the tip.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Pick up two of these books,and now hand me one...

Quote:
On 2003-07-23 01:37, dAvId tOnG wrote:
A couple of good sources/books for Equivoque:

1) Mind Control
2) A Section in The Mind and Magic of David
Berglas (his method allows you to force
an object out of 20!!!
3) Verbal Control by Phil Goldstein
4) Some interesting ideas by Lee Earle in
his new book M.I.N.D.
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
If you could only recommend one book on the subject to read (assuming the mentalist already knew what equivoque was), which one would you suggest? Smile
Dompa
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
249 Posts

Profile of Dompa
Quote:
If you could only recommend one book on the subject to read (assuming the mentalist already knew what equivoque was), which one would you suggest?

I already asked the same question and got NO answer so far. I think that means that all the mentioned books are worth to read and all of them have some usefull information and twists in it...
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2137 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2009-09-23 23:12, Turk wrote:
I'm surprised that Docc Hilford's excellent "E'Voque" hss not yet ben mentioned on this thread.

Here is another Café link discussing the ptrinciple: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=15&47

and, here is an excellent review of Docc's E'Voque by Doug Dyment:

Quote:
On 2006-03-14 11:03, ddyment wrote:
David de Leon asked:
Quote:
How does this compare to (and/or complement) other works that are sometimes mentioned?

Phi Goldstein’s “Verbal Control”
Jack Dean’s “The Equivoque Choice”
The chapter in the Berglas book
Christian Chelman's approach in “Capricornian Tales”
Stuff by Alain Nu in “Mind Over Matter”
David Eldridge’s “Maximum Mind Control”

It's an evolution of the approach described in the Berglas book, from which it differs in two significant ways. First, Docc has developed a much more "automatic" process, with a script that (once committed to memory) allows one to dispense with most of the "thinking on your feet" aspect, and devote attention to presentation. Second, Docc has given the effect a different focus, which many performers will find to be a more entertaining one.

This latter aspect can be dispensed with, and only the equivoque technique used (which will result in an effect identical to Berglas', but easier to perform). I think that not dispensing with it is the better choice, but it depends on your performing model.

Hope this helps.

Mike

E'Voque is wonderful. IMHO, Docc's most significant work.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Quote:
On 2009-08-10 01:58, nboisen wrote:
Two recent works with excellent discussion and subtleties on Equivoque are:

1. Hestor Chadwick "The Mental Mysteries of Hector Chadwick"
2. Joshua Quinn "Paralies"

I second that. I found Joshua Quinns thoughts on this the most insightful I have come across. I thoroughly recommend you get his book Paralies.
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Anthony, I second your recommendation of Paralies, there are some brilliant ideas in there, especially regarding Equivoque.
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Quote:
On 2009-09-25 10:41, Dompa wrote:
Which publication would you recommend most for someone who is already familiar with the technique itself and wants to study it further?

Samuel Catoe's Illusions of influnce

or

David Eldridge's Maximum Mind Control

I already own, Greg Arces instructions from Deep Thought, as well as a german publication about equivoque.

Thanks,
Dominik

Dominik,
I haven't read the Eldridge book so can't compare it, but here's what my book offers.

It is a primer. I take the technique and break it apart and look at each step of using a routine that I have been performing for quite a few years. I also offer my advice regarding the scripting and performance of equivoque routines as well as some other ideas. There are about seven different routines/ideas in the book, two from Greg Arce, one from Paolo Cavalli, one from Nicolas Belleas, and three from myself.

If you have read extensively about equivoque, I doubt that you will read anything new in either my book or David's (thought I haven't read it and don't know for certain) and would recommend you begin searching for the Berglas book.

Sam Catoe
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
I will toss in my two cents here and give a vote for Docc's "E'Voque." Docc had me "beta testing" it a year before we recorded it at the L&L studio which was well before he released it as a printed booklet.

It is massively inexpensive for what the working performer gets... a great bargain.

Early on (before L&L) I did it for a well-informed young mentalist. I did it for him three times in a row, using the same verbiage each time. Each time the "prediction" was corect. He had to admit that he had no clue what I was doing and I didn't tell him. It works and it works consistently.

It is one of the very best bits of impromptu mentalism. Candidly, I'm sorry Docc published it as I would have rather it been kept private.
Dompa
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
249 Posts

Profile of Dompa
Quote:
Dominik,
I haven't read the Eldridge book so can't compare it, but here's what my book offers.

[...]

If you have read extensively about equivoque, I doubt that you will read anything new in either my book or David's and would recommend you begin searching for the Berglas book.

Since my last post I had the chance to read David Eldridge's book 'Mind Control' which I really enjoyed.

As you said, there is no new revolutionary technique or enhancement of equivoque. Once you understood the basic concept and the necessary routes to go you are ready to perform equivoque to great entertainment succes. BUT and therefore I must disagree on your statement in some way, I found in each and every book on equivouqe something usefull for me! There are little nuances, new ideas to camouflage the process or at least new words with an ambiguous direction that can make the little but fine difference.

So there were indeed some good thoughts in 'Mind Control'.

For anyone interested: Mind Control is available directly through David Eldrige as an ebook.

My concluding recommendation about equivoque is: Read as much as possible and don't forget to practice it as ofthen as possible to get the needed coolness for it!

Best,
Dominik

PS: By the way Sam, is your book also available as an ebook?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I'm a coin guy but like the mentalism stuff some. Smile I actually learned Docc's "Equivoque" (the great mentalism effect) quite a while back now but never performed it (Also learned his "Nightmare Coins" - nice effect). Equivoque is very slick and quite affordable, an absolutely masterful effect and not hard at all to do. You just have to remember the steps (and they are easy enough) to reveal some astounding mental magic.

Think I have read the Maven booklet and Eldridge's Mind Control book as well to some degree and eventually remembered that I was a coin guy. Smile I didn't need any ever-deepening, in-depth explanations of the use of equivoque, I just wanted to know better why it worked as it did.

I typically use the basic method of Magician's Choice as I first learned it in Maven's brilliant "B'wave," and I enjoy using it in a more recent trick I do now "Ultimate Positive Negative," which basically is another effect that emanates from Maven's more basic uses in his "Positive Negative" effect with invisible coins as to the use of Magician's Choice aka "Equivoque." It's a nice thing to know and use once you get comfortable with it, and its uncanny workings on people still amaze me. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Dovewars
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Dovewars
I'm getting frustrated at not being able to get hold of any of these books and my technique surely needs help. Anyone recommend a good ebook?

Peter
cryder
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of cryder
The first I've read was from max maven, then I found Docc Hillford E'voque that was really nice. Also there is a four pages routine based on equivoque in "Chestosterone" from Chester Sass. Well written and quite effective.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2010-08-20 17:16, Dovewars wrote:
I'm getting frustrated at not being able to get hold of any of these books and my technique surely needs help. Anyone recommend a good ebook?

Peter

Peter, what's stopping you from getting ANY of the sources given here?

All / Most of them are still sold.

And, please, let's include to the list the compilation made by the late Jack Dean in "The Equivoque Choice".
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Dovewars
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Dovewars
Quote:
On 2010-08-21 09:03, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-08-20 17:16, Dovewars wrote:

Peter

Peter, what's stopping you from getting ANY of the sources given here?

All / Most of them are still sold.

And, please, let's include to the list the compilation made by the late Jack Dean in "The Equivoque Choice".

Nothings stopping me Smile I just wanted something NOW Smile I was going to use an item which used Equivoke today and hoped to get hold of something fast. Now I will just wait and buy the books. I hate the idea of using the technique badly..

Peter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Lost Art of Equivoque (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL