The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Clowning around » » Why are adults scared of clown? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MrMajestic
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MrMajestic
It always makes me kind of sad when I meet people who are scared of me in my clown get-up. I had a girlfriend once who couldn't be around me when I was going to do a performance.

A lot of clown make-up and costuming is used to distort human features into something larger than life, and to some who may view it with a bit too much of a literalistic eye may see clowns as horrifyingly garish, almost diseased in some way that offends their primeval self.....Just a theory.
The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.
- Pearl S. Buck
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
Beyond the Circus, clowning has been such a powerful form of theater, across the centuries and across cultures. Maybe it's just going through some changes.
aka Mike Booth
Kyra Engstrom
View Profile
New user
New Mexico
7 Posts

Profile of Kyra Engstrom
Clowns will always be entertaining, whether you're scared of them or not if you see one you still end up talking about the clown for the rest of the day. I know I would.
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Wonder if this goes double for clowns who mime...or mimes who clown?

For me? I am not terribly fond of 'typical' clowns, but hold no deep seated terror. I used to absolutely love Red Skelton...but he dressed as a hobo clown, not a traditional white face clown. Is it the whiteface? My wife does not like clowns due to one particular childhood encounter with a drunken white face Comic that you find sometimes marching in the Philadelphia Mummers parade.
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
*** Sigh ***

Most people who put on a face and costume do not have any idea what it is to be a clown.....

I have been performing as a clown since I was 10, I think back to then and how bad I was with the big red mouth and I wonder how many kids are scared of clowns because of me back the.....

Now very rarely have any issue with kids being scared of me, sometimes at the beginning of my show. but not by the end..

YES I am a full white face clown, and I am 6 foot tall.

I did a show at a firewall a few years back, 20 kids.... one little girl ran to the other side of the hall when I walked in the door. If I moved she moved to stay as far away from me as possible.... About 1/2 into my show she came and sat down with the other kids. By the end of my show she was up assisting me.

After the show her mother came up to talk to me with tears in her eyes.... Her mother was a former clown he gave it up because her daughter was so scared of her when she clowned...
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-05-08 19:51, Kyra Engstrom wrote:
Clowns will always be entertaining...
...end up talking about the clown for the rest of the day.

Kyra, are you talking about clows or yourself?
robholland
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of robholland
IT is the main reason for all the people I know
Eric the Excellent
View Profile
Loyal user
Montana
234 Posts

Profile of Eric the Excellent
Because clowns will eat me! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV_BL6AbOcI

In all seriousness, though, I used to be afraid of clowns, people in large costumes (like school-mascots), and Santa Claus, and The Easter Bunny and so on. I think Mr. Yang had it spot on in this regard; I just processed it differently.

I was always okay watching them from a distance, though, and it is only recently that I have gotten over my fear of clowns; it lingered much longer than the other ones. I can't say why... something about not being able to see their real faces...
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
I think kids like clowns when they do funny stuff or act silly. However, when a clown gets close to you there is a tendency to evaluate the mask they wear when they get up close and personal. Some clown faces are scary, some have a frighting look, and some seem sad. Kids don't like to be scared or to feel sad. In truth, when you look at another person you look for similarities to your own self, not only in their expressions, but what they do and say. Communication is easier with those that have a happy face. Grumpy, sad and scary faces say, "stay away from me." The same would go for adults.
Rob the Balloon Guy
View Profile
New user
West Hartford, CT
96 Posts

Profile of Rob the Balloon Guy
REAL clowns don't wear a mask.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Quote:
On 2012-04-05 00:51, Rob the Balloon Guy wrote:
REAL clowns don't wear a mask.

True, but they paint one on.

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 11:41am
Read the history of masks and clowning. Before physical masks were made, face paint was used as a simulation to hide the persona of the wearer.
Rob the Balloon Guy
View Profile
New user
West Hartford, CT
96 Posts

Profile of Rob the Balloon Guy
True, but all of my favorite circus and theater clowns today don't hide from the audience behind a mask; they share themselves with the audience. The best clowns in my opinion--the ones that make me laugh the hardest--don't hide their personaes from the audience; rather, they give themselves fully. If they wear makeup, it serves to help communicate their expressions, not as a way to hide.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
What does that have to do with the OPs question? If you want a ****ing contest, go elsewhere, you won't get it from me.
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
I've noticed that there does seem to be some "fad" and attention gathering in this. Teen girls (and tween girls) seem to enjoy the attention of all of their friends knowing they are scared.

One thing I see more and more is that when I don't try to get a reaction from "Miss Fraidy Cat" she will usually come to me and want me to interact so her friends will see how scared she is.

I know some people are scared but there are so many more that love clowns that I just move on. It is not my job to get anyone to face their fear of clowns. I have no problem moving on to the next group if there is a person who is afraid.

My theory is that more people know that "fear of clowns" is a thing so it's like any bandwagon, jump on.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
I just came accross this old topic and thought I would add my thoughts for all the clowns who wonder "Why are adults scared of clowns?
Like many adults I am not scared of clowns - I just don't care to be around them. They make me feel uncomfortable, but not in a threating way however. Apparently this not an uncommon attitude among many adults. I have never had a bad clown experience that could explain my dislike. I do find most clowns bizarre in appearance and in their manner, however.

I have a few friends who are "registered" clowns whom I have known for years, but once they are made up I prefer not to associate with them. They are aware of my dislike for clowns and have had me watch them go through the entire make-up and costuming process, which I found very interesting but once completed, I wanted to quietly put some distance between us.

What is the explanation for this attitude? I don't know. It is not a phobia since I have no fear of clowns (so therapy is not needed).

I am a retired engineering test pilot with 40 years of military and civilian flight experience and am as pragmatic a person as you would ever meet. I am a magician by avocation and my closest friend hates magicians. I think that he unconsciously feels that magicians are trying to make him look stupid because he can't discern how they do an effect. His attitude doesn't make sense to me and I stopped trying to rationalize with him several years ago. He dislikes magicians - end of discussion.

To all you clown types, please understand that there are quite a few people like myself who do not enjoy your persona and are not comfortable in your presense. Don't be upset about this or take it personal. It is not YOU we dislike, it is the exterior clown that makes us uncomfortable.
I love to watch children laugh and enjoy the antics of your genre and compliment you on choosing a field of entertainment that is meant to bring joy and hilarity to people. I hope you won't mind if I stand back a comfortable distance (for me) while you perform.

Best wishes,
Doug
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Quote:
On 2013-03-05 03:49, DougTait wrote:
I just came accross this old topic and thought I would add my thoughts for all the clowns who wonder "Why are adults scared of clowns?
Like many adults I am not scared of clowns - I just don't care to be around them. They make me feel uncomfortable, but not in a threating way however. Apparently this not an uncommon attitude among many adults. I have never had a bad clown experience that could explain my dislike. I do find most clowns bizarre in appearance and in their manner, however.

I have a few friends who are "registered" clowns whom I have known for years, but once they are made up I prefer not to associate with them. They are aware of my dislike for clowns and have had me watch them go through the entire make-up and costuming process, which I found very interesting but once completed, I wanted to quietly put some distance between us.

What is the explanation for this attitude? I don't know. It is not a phobia since I have no fear of clowns (so therapy is not needed).

I am a retired engineering test pilot with 40 years of military and civilian flight experience and am as pragmatic a person as you would ever meet. I am a magician by avocation and my closest friend hates magicians. I think that he unconsciously feels that magicians are trying to make him look stupid because he can't discern how they do an effect. His attitude doesn't make sense to me and I stopped trying to rationalize with him several years ago. He dislikes magicians - end of discussion.

To all you clown types, please understand that there are quite a few people like myself who do not enjoy your persona and are not comfortable in your presense. Don't be upset about this or take it personal. It is not YOU we dislike, it is the exterior clown that makes us uncomfortable.
I love to watch children laugh and enjoy the antics of your genre and compliment you on choosing a field of entertainment that is meant to bring joy and hilarity to people. I hope you won't mind if I stand back a comfortable distance (for me) while you perform.

Best wishes,
Doug

Extremely well articulated.. Thank you very much for this insight. Smile
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
http://www.trinity.edu/org/tricksters/tr......rwin.htm

Posted: Mar 14, 2013 4:43pm
"Charles Bonnet Syndrome":

A lot of doctors aren’t actually aware of this disorder because patients aren’t comfortable sharing their experiences. But a lot of blind people don’t actually see complete darkness. Blind people with this disorder actually experience hallucinations. They aren’t insane or anything—they just see colorful, vivid scenes to replace reality.

They see clowns and animals, they see cats in barrels, flowers growing on cars, snowflakes dancing in the moonlight. These images are completely random and created unconsciously; they can disappear if the person closes their eyes. It’s as if their mind is constantly dreaming when they are awake.

Clifford Pickover has written about the link between Charles Bonnet Syndrome and visions of clowns.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Quote:
On 2013-03-14 16:02, panlives wrote:
http://www.trinity.edu/org/tricksters/tr......rwin.htm

Facinating article about Coulrophobia. A long read, but worth it. Not everyone will agree with the entire essay of course, but it enlightened me about the ancient history of clowning, and why some people MAY be suspect of clowns.Smile
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I will say my first experience with a clown was something I remember to this day. I was on a street during some sort of city festival, I was 6 so I don't remember what festival though. The clown came up to me, and I laughed because he looked so big and colorful. Then he squeezed my shoulder and made it squeak! I tried to do it, but it didn't work. He did it a few more times, then let me poke his arm and it squeaked too. He made me a balloon ray-gun and then went on his way. I thought it was the greatest thing in the world. I remember for at least an hour afterwards, I'd squeeze my shoulder trying lol.

He was big, grabbed me without warning, and was really close, but it didn't scare me in the slightest.

From this post it seems he did everything wrong, and perhaps other kids were scared of him, but I wasn't. Interesting that some have these fears and others don't. I do respect these individuals that don't like clowns, of course, but I think it's fascinating how we all have different perceptions of the same stimuli.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Clowning around » » Why are adults scared of clown? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL