The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Are toll-free numbers still valid? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
In this age of free long distance included in most home and cell packages, is there any significant value in having toll-free 800 and 888 numbers for your business? Are people more inclined to call a 800 or 888 number any more? Does it add to a "professional" appearance or image?

And what are your thoughts on phone services: Does anyone here run their business from a cell phone? Is there any advantage to a "land line" any more? It seems to me that a cell is always will you, and just as reliable as land lines these days.

How about services like "Magic Jack"? It seems like this could be a great if you needed just an answering machine-type service.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I no longer have an 800# because of the reasons you stated, but I still have a land line. It is a business line so I get a listing in the yellow pages, but I'm not sure that is so effective anymore.
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
Starrpower,

I do use an 800 number but in a more modern way. I use Ring Central, which was recommended to me by James Munton in his online marketing course "From Zero to Booked Solid". It's very inexpensive, has an answering machine feature, can send and receive faxes, and can connect to any and all of your phone lines. It can ring from your house phone, your cell, or both in sequence or simultaneously.

I think this gives you the perfect solution for clients to contact you. It's an 800 number, which adds to the professionalism and credibility of your business, and it allows you to be reached at any time anywhere, PLUS people can FAX and be FAXed! That can make it easy to get contracts to less computer savvy clients and get the signed copy back quickly. It really does meet all of the needs of an entertainer.

My two cents,
Hank
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
As far as Ring Central goes check with your local phone service, they may offer a very similar service for less, I know my local carrier does.
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
Tboehnlein,

Less than the $10.00 a month I pay for Ring Central?! That's a good deal! I don't believe I can get that from AT&T here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Does it allow you to FAX and receive FAXes online and save your voice messages to your computer? If so, I will have to look into that...thanks for the info.

Hank
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
I use ring central and love it. Makes me look professional and people don't have my cell so I can professionally screen my calls. Fax contracts right out of ACT database through ring central. G!reat tool!
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
And this shows why the forum has only hurt its users by removing the search feature. We JUST had this discussion about a month or two ago. Great conversation. My solution: Google Voice.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Here's the thread Scott is referring to:

--> Magic Café thread titled... 800 numbers

I found it using the search feature, which is working. The only thing that has changed ultimately is that you can only search one area at a time. Like, only in "tricky business". However, the upside is you can do a new search right away, with no wait.

I used the Keyword "google voice" and Search In "tricky business" to find that thread quickly.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Yes, I am a big fan of Ring Central. I just wish they had a referral system since I have recommended them to so many people!

I think there are still good reasons to have a toll-free number, but I agree that things are changing.

1) I think a toll-free number still provides some respectability to your business and makes you look more professional.
2) Many cell phones have a limited amount of monthly minutes. So people with cell phones definitely prefer to dial a toll-free number.
3) If you perform for schools or other similar groups.
4) If you move (especially to a different state) you can keep the same toll-free number. This was a huge advantage for me when I moved. I didn't have to redesign all my websites and existing clients could easily find me.
5) With RingCentral, my phone messages are sent to me as an email attachment. It makes it so easy to run through my messages wherever I am.

Several people have told me about Google Voice which I haven't had a chance to properly look at. But I am definitely keeping the toll-free number for now.

Best,
James
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
One thing that I benefit from with a toll-free number is that it does not tell the client where I am located. I work in two distinct, but nearby metro areas. The folks in the area not as near to me might not expect me to be as eager to work in their area if they knew where I am located.

(Search by username should be able to cover all topics at once.) ;-)
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
2 years later....

Are there any advantages to having an 800 number now?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 07:29, Ken Northridge wrote:
2 years later....

Are there any advantages to having an 800 number now?

I don't think things have changed much in the last 2 years.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
I get regular calls on my 800 number. I especially hear them from school teachers who are dialing from schools where long distance numbers might be blocked.

Even though people are calling on their cell phones, I think there's still some attachment to 800 numbers. I don't think getting one will change your business, but it might make you seem more professional and might make it easier for people to contact you. Just my thoughts!

One other advantage to having an 800 number is if you have any problems with your phone, you can just log on, and re-direct your 800 number to ring a different phone. This takes all of about 2 minutes. If you lose your phone, move, or just have problems with your carrier, you won't miss any business.

Hope that helps!
Kevin
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

...and more time has gone by and I'm still wrestling with dropping my 800 number. I rarely get any calls but still pay the $12 bill every month! I'm very close to making the call. Anyone care to talk me out of it?
www.KenNorthridge.com
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Ken - I never have used one and was just about to talk you out of keeping yours, but then I read the post from Kevin (above yours) and it made me think for a second. There may be markets and potential clients that benefit from the 800 numbers, so proceed with caution. I do think some people hang on to things way beyond their usefulness, in general.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you want to build credit with your business and not your own social security number an 80900am number is still a n important part of the process.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Time has gone by and I'm still glad I have the 800 number. I've kept it and (like every other cost in my business) have adjusted rates to cover the cost of having the number. I like the extra features (call blocking, re-routing, business hours, etc.) plus the flexibility of having my number transferred to anyone's phone. For me, it's worth it.

I still like it, but if you're not using yours enough, you should drop it. No use paying for an extra cost, especially if you're not getting your money's worth!

Kevin
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

1) I have and land line with unlimited long distance included.
2) I have unlimited talk on my cell phone.

I realize the older generation may be set in there old ways, but still, don’t you think the overwhelming majority have one of these two?

When I first got the 800 number it was primarily for schools. But wouldn’t a teacher just pick up their cell phone to book these days?
www.KenNorthridge.com
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
I have had a toll-free number since the early 90's. I will keep it indefinitely because it is on all of my marketing material and I perform in a wide market area so people won't discount using e because I'm out of their area. By the way, I'm pretty sure that cell phone minutes count when you call an 800 number.
Jesse Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jesse Lewis
I have a 800 for the simple reason that it does make you look like a real business. You don't call a medium to large corporation on anything but a 800 number and I portray myself as a decent level entertainer so I have one.

There are many advantages to having it and cost really is the only disadvantage. Even in my biggest months I have never had over a 15 dollar charge for my 800 number and it would be dumb for me to not have one. All of my clients have my 800 all of my leads recieve my 800 and that is why I have and keep it.

If you don't have the 15 per month to have one then don't have one but in the area that I work it is needed since I cover a large territory.

Jesse
Learn how to build a bigger business at www.showbizsuccesssecrets.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Are toll-free numbers still valid? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL