The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card Acronyms (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Justin W
View Profile
Special user
Lawrence, KS
929 Posts

Profile of Justin W
bobon
View Profile
Regular user
Hyderabad .India
164 Posts

Profile of bobon
T.C.O.H.T.P.C.-The Cheesy One-hand Top Palm Control .

http://www.peterduffie.co.uk/detailed_usa_toc.pdf
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
diehards2080
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, New York
256 Posts

Profile of diehards2080
Well since we have 2 books on there I will add RCT (Revolutionary Card Technique)

DPS- Diagonal Palm Shift
D.F.C- Marlo's Definite Finger Tip Control
diehards2080
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, New York
256 Posts

Profile of diehards2080
Quote:
On 2011-01-06 15:55, kcg5 wrote:
P&T...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMZynsHG8QM

You know its sad I never really knew the difference until seeing that. Learn somthing new everyday. Prob I should have paid attention in english class instead of trying to hit on the girl sitting next to me
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3501 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-01-06 16:38, diehards2080 wrote:
Prob I should have paid attention in english class instead of trying to hit on the girl sitting next to me

The sad reality is that if you were educated in the U.S., your English teacher also probably didn't know the difference.
Nom de Guerre
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Nom de Guerre
Quote:
On 2011-01-06 17:25, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-06 16:38, diehards2080 wrote:
Prob I should have paid attention in english class instead of trying to hit on the girl sitting next to me

The sad reality is that if you were educated in the U.S., your English teacher also probably didn't know the difference.

A search of "FBI" and "Acronym" together will turn up numerous sites that list FBI as an acronym and then proceed to give the expansion. Here are three examples:

http://www.all-acronyms.com/index/fbi
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/FBI
http://www.acronymfinder.com/FBI.html

I'm not saying this is correct, but I'm simply noting that there is clearly some cross definition usage of the word acronym in common parlance these days.

I also stated earlier that language is not static. Like it or not, no one today speaks or writes English as it was written and spoken a hundred or more years ago. The French have been struggling for years to preserve their language in tact with as little change as possible.

To bring this thread back to relevance regarding magic (at least to some degree), try reading a few lines out of Reginal Scot's "Discoverie of Witchcraft," first published in 1584.

You can check out an online version of it here:
http://www.archive.org/stream/discoverie......mode/2up

and a "modern" interpretation of it here:
http://www.conjuror.com/archives/discoverie/discoverie.html

I think you'll find English has changed just a tad over the years. I guarantee our writing will seem as archaic and quaint about a hundred and fifty or more years from now, although it could quite possibly be much sooner if you subscribe to a "Singularity" sort of view into the future.

In any case, shall we try to get back to the spirit of this thread, and not be so critically literal?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3501 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-01-06 21:55, Nom de Guerre wrote:
A search of "FBI" and "Acronym" together will turn up numerous sites that list FBI as an acronym and then proceed to give the expansion. Here are three examples:

http://www.all-acronyms.com/index/fbi
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/FBI
http://www.acronymfinder.com/FBI.html

I'm not saying this is correct, but I'm simply noting that there is clearly some cross definition usage of the word acronym in common parlance these days.

You'll find similar abominations in the DOD.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled thread.

;)
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6576 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
In addition to CHaSeD, there is another suit-order mnemonic: SHoCkeD.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Nom de Guerre
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Nom de Guerre
I have left out a couple of the suggestions, because they are references to specific sleights. While I would love to incorporate them, and perhaps at some point they can be in some form of this compilation, for now I would ask folks again to please try to refrain from posting acronyms/initialisms for specific sleights or moves. Thanks!

ACAAN - "Any Card At Any Number." A group of card tricks or effects that generally have the performer producing a card that is thought of or named by a spectator at any number or position within the deck... the number is also determined by the spectator.
ACR - "Ambitious card routine."
CAAN - "Card At Any Number." Please refer to ACAAN.
CATO - "Cut and Turn Over." A principle in card magic credited to Bob Hummer.
CATTO - "Cut and Turn Two Over." A variation on the CATO principle above.
CC - "Card College." Roberto Giobbi's classic work on card magic in 5 volumes plus several "Lite" volumes with easier or semi self working card magic. There is also a DVD release by the same name of Giobbi demonstrating and teaching the techniques in the series. Currently, the DVD's for Volumes 1 & 2 have been released and are available.
CHaSeD - An acronym for a specific order of suits, "Clubs, Hearts, Spades, Diamonds."
CUCM - "Close Up Card Magic." Harry Lorrayne's famous book that many cite as the best book on card magic ever written.
EATCT - "Expert At The Card Table." S.W. Erdnase's famous book published in 1902.
ECT - "Expert Card Technique." A famous book by Hugard and Braue
FASDIU - "From A Shuffled Deck In Use." An acronym invented by Paul Cummins. His definition: "The concept behind the title of the manuscript is that all of the card effects may be performed without any prior preparation or pack prearrangement - from a shuffled deck in use. Frequently it is necessary to make a quick run through the deck and cull a couple of cards, but I have always been able to cover those times with a bit of patter."
FISM - The Fédération Internationale des Sociétés Magiques From the Wikipedia entry: "(International Federation of Magic Societies) was founded in 1948, and is one of the most respected organizations in the magician community. It is an international body coordinating dozens of national and international clubs and federations around the world, representing approximately 50,000 Magicians from 32 countries. The organization hosts a self-named "FISM" conference every three years, where magicians compete for "Best of" categories."
NDO - "New Deck Order"
OOSOOM - Dai Vernon's "Out of Sight, Out of Mind."
OOTW - "Out of This World." Arguably the most famous card trick of the 20th century created by Paul Curry in 1942.
OOTU - "Out of This Universe." Harry Lorrayne's reworking of OOTW
RRCM - ""Royal Road To Card Magic," by Hugard and Braue.
SACT - "Semi-Automatic Card Tricks." These are tricks "self working" tricks requiring little or no use of sleights.
SHoCkeD - Another acronym for a specific order of suits, "Spades, Hearts, Clubs, Diamonds."
SF - "Steve Forte." One of the foremost acknowledged experts on gambling protection, cheating methods, and "moves."
SWE - S.W. Erdnase
TnR - "Torn and Restored." A category of tricks in which an object, usually made of paper (i.e. a newspaper, a playing card, bills of money, etc.), is torn and then restored.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3501 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-01-07 11:31, Nom de Guerre wrote:

CATTO isn't a variation of the CATO principle; there's only one principle, and it involves turning over an even number of cards, so CATTO is simply a more explicit description of the principle.
Nom de Guerre
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Nom de Guerre
Quote:
On 2011-01-07 11:47, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

CATTO isn't a variation of the CATO principle; there's only one principle, and it involves turning over an even number of cards, so CATTO is simply a more explicit description of the principle.

Correction noted, and I will amend the entry in the next update to the list in a day or so, since you can't edit a post once another post follows it. Thanks for the clarification, S2KM!
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
GiP

Gilbreath Principle
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3501 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-01-07 12:39, Nom de Guerre wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-07 11:47, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

Correction noted, and I will amend the entry in the next update to the list in a day or so, since you can't edit a post once another post follows it. Thanks for the clarification, S2KM!

The editing restriction is the one irritating characteristic of this forum.

I'd suggest simply listing it as "CATO/CATTO". You probably already came to that conclusion yourself.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1104 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
MD = Memorized deck
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1104 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Maybe it is wise to move this item to "inner secrets".
Nom de Guerre
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Nom de Guerre
I did try to contact Steve about how to proceed. I asked if he or one of the staff might have a moment to look over the thread and comment or make a decision regarding sleights and their inclusion or exclusion.

The question of whether this should move to a restricted area would also be something a moderator or staff member might be able to help with. So far I have not heard back from anyone.
Troels
View Profile
Loyal user
Denmark
205 Posts

Profile of Troels
When I was a new member on this forum I got the impression, that many contributors used abbreviations/acronyms as a way to hide important details for those not in the know. If you talk about DL and MD in an explanation it is not a real revelation, beceause if you don't know these terms you will not get much wiser.

It took me some time to learn the meaning of all theses codes and I think it is OK that anyone determined to learn magic eventually will understand the secrets discussed openly on the Café.

But I have some troubles with the fact, that anybody just by reading a single post in this specific thread could get the key to a lot of secrets which really should to be hidden in secret sessions.

Troels
Nom de Guerre
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Nom de Guerre
Troels, I hear you, and I agree that your argument has merit. When I started this thread, I did not have a post count of 50 yet, so I was not able to start this thread in a restricted area of the forum. I also posed some of these very questions in the beginning of my first post in this thread.

Further, I have tried to contact the powers that be, to request some guidance on these issues, but I have not gotten a response, and it's been several days. I know the mods are busy, but I don't know when or if any will see and address these questions.

I don't think anyone other than a moderator has the ability to move a thread to another section, so without their help I don't think there's anything that can be done. I just hope this thread gets moved, if necessary, rather than deleted.
mightydog
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan now living in the Florida panha
156 Posts

Profile of mightydog
Quote "Once a word becomes sufficiently used in common parlance, or it's meaning in common usage shifts, the new word or shift in definition tends to get added to dictionaries".
Quite true. The word Gay originally meant happy, carefree, light hearted. Now it has a entirely different meaning.
Words change not always for the better.
mightydog
David
Illusion and magic is the same, if it was possible to achieve the impossible by genuine powers then it wouldn’t be impossible and therefore it wouldn’t be magic. That’s why magic is an art; the art of creating the illusion of the impossible.
Raphael Benatar

mightydog
David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card Acronyms (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL