The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What is your go-to control? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
vinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
sleeping with the fishes...
9318 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Vlad thank you for mentioning my Toss control which is based on Steve Bedwell's Dribble toss .
my all time favorite control is the Hop
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
685 Posts

Profile of lokikross
For me:
1. Vertical Pass
2. Frozen Palm Control
3. Overhand false shuffle.
I use 1. when I am doing a routine, like ACR.
I use 2. when doing any kind of card re-locating, or steals.
I use 3. before any effect where I want to shuffle first, as I rarely ever shuffle or cut the deck during a routine.
A personal preference as I believe shuffling or cutting is too easy of a false explanation for spectators.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
4449 Posts

Profile of pepka
Spread Pass
Midnight Shift
Something from Gary Oullet's book that's a replacement for Double Undercut.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
5741 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
It depends on the performance situation and what I choose to do at the time.

The pass - side steal - Kelly bottom placement - Tenki placement etc.

Cheers.
Glenn Bishop

The Punch Deck Pro.

Glenn Bishops Ace Cutting And Riffle Shuffle Triumphs.
seraph127
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of seraph127
Quote:

Giles Couture's Swivel Cut Control?
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
seraph127
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of seraph127
Quote:
On 2011-01-13 14:01, greydonthemagician wrote:
Fooled by it, it is deceptive if performed correctly. I forget where the credit comes from now, I'm thinking Aaron fisher, but a nice subtly is instead of moving your left hand to bring the cut to the top. Keep the left stationary and move the right hand pack to the bottom of the left hand portion. Then repeat to finish off the cut. It is the right hand doing the work instead of the left.

I seem to recall (subject to being dead wrong) that this is a Michael Sibbernsen idea.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
Justin W
View Profile
Special user
Lawrence, KS
929 Posts

Profile of Justin W
I was under the impression that it was a Tyler Wilson idea. Or at least that's where I'd learned it.
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
425 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Hmmmm.....double undercut occasionally......a simple riffle if the audience is distracted.....or usually a roll-over control followed by a semi-false shuffle (assuming I only need the top card)
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
Most of my controls aren't strong enough to use, but I personally use

Cherry Control
Dribble Control (the discrepency version from Dan and Dave bucks "Swiss Made")

I have a few others that I picked up from watching people preform poorly on youtube, so I don't know the names off hand.
Ryan Bliss
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Ryan Bliss
I think this question depends on what effect your using. Performing a pass for one effect might not fly for another one. I for one think the classic side steal from a riffle peek is an incredibly useful control that works from most angles. however if my situation is a bit more intimate, then I like to use a control that unfortunately I've never seen published, but basically you hold half the deck in one hand at chest hight showing the selected card, and the card is displaced as you move your hands down thus changing the frame of focus. I use that because the angles are 100% covered. So Im not sure if having a GO-TO control is the right attitude to have because every situation is different.
Schism
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Schism
My go to is the pass, mainly the riffle pass or occasionally the spread pass. I am against using the double undercut or well, cuts in general when trying to control a card to the top if I am doing an ACR. IMO it is a lot more convincing to the spectator if all they see is the card go to the middle then suddenly pop up to the top.
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
501 Posts

Profile of JJP161
Quote:
On 2011-01-14 10:46, cardking wrote:
Daniel Garcia's Ego control. it's so straight forward. take the card, shove it in the middle, I usually have the spectator push the card in. it's sooooo sneaky and easy and it makes sense. if you're going to 'lose' a card in the deck why bring cuts and shuffles into the mix? simplify....

I'm not much of a card guy or sleight of hand guy but where can I learn Garcia's Ego control? I am also interested in Asher's Losing Control, how difficult is it to learn and be able to do well? I had Asher Twist but that was way beyond me.

Thank-you,

Joe
Justin W
View Profile
Special user
Lawrence, KS
929 Posts

Profile of Justin W
The Ego control can be found in his DVD sets from a while back.

The Losing Control is very simple, technically. It relies more on discrepancy than technique.
ash2arani
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
My go-to control is either a cull or undercut. For the undercut, I tend to break between the time the card is inserted, a break is obtained, and the undercut happens. Dribbling the cards helps acheive those breaks.
howie3
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of howie3
Double undercut, Bluff pass work best for me.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2818 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
As an aside "Marlo's Flexible Switchout" can be used as a very deceptive control. It is slightly similar to Jenning's "Open Control". I have used both...

The former is in "Marlo Without Tears"/J. Racherbaumer and the latter is in "BOF" vol I/H.Lorayne.

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
3898 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I don't hear this mentioned much, but it is deadly. It is called "Bottomed" by Larry Jennings and can be found in Lorayne's Apocalypse. It is almost like an Ovette master move but a little more lateral if that makes sense, anyway like I said, it's deadly. Check it out.
lynnef
View Profile
Special user
770 Posts

Profile of lynnef
As a go-to, I like the overhand shuffle jog, keeping it simple. But I have to throw a word in here for following this with Harry Lorayne's 'status quo shuffle' ... keeping the same rhythm .. and same card on top!
Kirjava
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of Kirjava
Personally, I side steal if my angles are good, otherwise I use Chris Brown's Orbit Control, which look similar enough Smile
Bandon
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Bandon
I use the overhand jog shuffle
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
Hyattsville, Maryland
556 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
As you can see from the above, there are a million ways to control a card!

Personally, I think controls are interesting and can look neat in their "not looking like anything at all," but when I'm out performing for a little group or something, I almost ALWAYS use simple control. The double undercut still flies by when you're with the average audience.

If I'm under a little more scrutiny, I will usually dribble half the deck on top of the selection, pick up at the jog and then restore break. One nice way to do this is the In-Frame Control, which looks slick on a table top. In the hands I'll usually double undercut or double overcut (swing the top half to the bottom in two cuts/packets).

In my opinion, the best control is the one you can do without thinking about. It's a lot more about your handling than it is how complex the topology is. That and your confidence.

Lastly, I almost never do "pick a card" stuff anyway...so my favorite control...is a force!
Visit my blog: ScienceIsMagic.com
Follow me on Twitter: @scienceismagic
Sagar
View Profile
New user
India
36 Posts

Profile of Sagar
I either use the pass, Convincing control or the double undercut. Problem about the double undercut is, that you've left the card in the centre - why bother cutting the deck and losing the card "even futher"? anyways, done casually it's really useful and a good dribble/riffle pass is usually completely invicible.
There is one force I can always - ALWAYS - rely on - gravity.
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, USA
1083 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Quote:
On 2011-01-31 05:07, pepka wrote:

Shhhh! Good knowledge isn't for everyone Smile
rghale
View Profile
New user
Robert Hale
29 Posts

Profile of rghale
Double undercut typically. If someone gives me the evil eye about it then I can follow with an overhand false shuffle. Having folks return the card to the top of the deck saves on effort but is not quite as deceptive.
JRediens
View Profile
Regular user
Roma, Italy
147 Posts

Profile of JRediens
Lepaul automatic jog+double undercut/shuffle, losing control.
Really basic I know , I daily train on Diagonal palm shift, invisible pass, and classic pass. but I still don't feel comfortable with doing them. Sometimes I use them when the are suspectful, but not really burning.
j100taylor
View Profile
Special user
684 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
I do a great riffle pass, and use Convincing Control, side steal, DU etc depending on trick. But my go to one is Paul Harris's Flip Flop Pass. Its easy and fools people
Lakewood, Ohio
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
544 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
The upside-down card force is good, simple and very disarming. Can be set up easily right under their noses; works a treat for me.
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
sean_mh
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of sean_mh
Sometimes I like to use the action of the Neil Elias Multiple Shift (as I learned it from Dear Mr. Fantasy), even with only one card being inserted.

Sean
a brown 1968
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
I remember watching Tamariz on an old video performing "Neith blind nor stupid " . The spectators cut their chosen cards into the middle of the deck . Tamariz asked "Could I know where your cards are ?" The spectators replied no, at which point Tamariz cries out "yessssssss!!" "they are in the middle of the deck !! " . His scripting justifies his proceeding actions of mixing the deck .

Perhaps with the double under cut much of the conviction is body language and attitude . A simple way to see how a layman perceives your double under cut is to have a card freely chosen , cut the deck about the middle for its return, drop the talon on top and table the deck .

Ask him how much would he be willing to wager that you can't cut direct to his card ?

Repeat the above but this time do so after doing a double under cut and jog shuffle .

For me they have bet far less after the double under cut and shuffle because they believe the card is lost where as the first bet we both know within a few cards give or take exactly where the card is in the middle. It is not lost in 52 cards it is lost with a small range of 5 cards .

As for using the double under cut, rarely use it just on its own but part of my "relaxed control "

Andy
jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of jakubr
My go to control is either Classic Pass, or Cull - when they select card from face up deck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What is your go-to control? (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.270517 seconds, requiring 90 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [0] [1] [6] [5] [1] [2] [6]