We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Leaving a mess at the venue (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
I was speaking to several other magicians recently. One does cut and restored rope and leaves the cut pieces the on floor after he leaves. Another does sponge balls with a multiple-ball climax and leaves them on the floor also (he buys them in the thousands) a third does snowstorm in china and leaves the room covered in White confetti.

All three leave the mess they make at the venue for the organiser to clean-up after the performer has left. I am strongly against this.

I recently added a confetti finish to my thimble routine. At the end of the show, I take out a small sweeping brush and cleaup the confetti before I leave. I strongly believe it is polite and the right-thing-to-do is to clean up your own mess.

Who else leaves a mess at the venue after there show?
Ring Tricks, Marketing Magic, Key Project and more!
www.amazingstephen.co.uk
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3707 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
The ONLY thing I would ever leave at the venue is water, and that's ONLY if it's an outdoor gig. Never trash up the place. After my Khyber Kobra, I pick up the cards, if the kids don't get to them first. The only other thing I might leave is in a full stage setting, after my small CO2 confetti cannon goes off, I use only large Flutterfetti and streamers, no glitter. The kids take all the streamers and the flutterfetti sweeps up easily. I usually only use this in outdoor settings, as well, and that's all totally biodegradable. Old hippie here and I recycle everything.

Steve
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Cut and restore is my last magic trick, and after the show I pick up all the pieces that the kids haven't already taken.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
5669 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I don't have anything to clean up. Some act may have to follow me and I don't want them to slip on something that I left.

Once a cup holder's adhesive let loose and dumped a cup of water on the stage. Considering the nature of the event, there should have been cleaning supplies available backstage, but they were locked up! One of the organizers found some napkins and got it up. Suffice it to say that when I work that venue again, the fee will be considerable more and I'll be bringing what the venue doesn't supply. The venue dropped the ball in several ways and considering how much an event costs at The Grand Rapids Art Museum, there's no excuse for it.
http://www.sneakymagician.com/

Where have some of the most valuable members gone?
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
We used to use confetti and always took a small vacuum cleaner to clean up afterwards.

I am a stickler about not leaving a mess! I always take a trash bag with me and pick up any trash that is generated from our show. If it is a bigger venue then I may put that bag in their trash can. Many times though I even bring the trash bag home to dispose of it. Especially if it was from a party in someone's home.

We recently did a gig at a country club, and we had to rearrange the furniture to make the show we were hired to do fit the space we were given. After the show we put all the furniture back.

We have actually received many compliments for not leaving messes behind.

Like a couple of you already stated above, if we have kids in our audience, we can usually count on them to pick up cards and such and take them as "souvenirs".
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Burst balloons and a mouth coil are all I drop - and I try to pick them up and bin them before leaving.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3375 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I never leave anything.

I used to have large glitter in my Silk Cascade finale but I was worried about people slipping on it and did not like the idea of someone else cleaning up my mess.

I did not want to carry a dust buster so it was out.

-Mary Mowder
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4072 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I do not leave a mess. Cut carrots from my headchopper and a few balloon pieces always get picked up and thrown away. That is one reason I never considered doing a "snowstorm" effect.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2474 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Wow I never knew this was an issue I have done thousands of shows and never cleaned up after the show.

Its in my contract that I don't stay to clean up from the snow storm illusion or other things.

now that being said I don't leave the water bottles and soda cans out or the ends to my kubuki streamers.

we require them to have a trash can back stage amoung other things so that we can keep it neat but I don't have time to stay and sweep up either its late and night and I need to get out or I have a multiple show day that does not alow for the time.

I always make the client aware of the confettii and mess that will be produced from my show.

who knew!
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Sam
When Starrpoer said snowstorm I thought of you. The extremly large wad of confetti that you use can make a knee high snow storm.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3375 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Sam,

If the client has been told about the Snow Storm, I don't see a problem.

-Mary Mowder
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
I agree with Mary. As long as the client knows up front there will be confetti and they have approved it, then there should be no problem at all. I really think that it goes back to good communication with the client and the venue prior to performance.
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Why not make it a comedy moment and pull out an appearing brush to sweep up the mess with.

I now only book the snow storm if I know I can clean up quickly / or that some-one else can do so.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2545 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Sam,
Most likely the one that signs the contract is not the same one that sweeps up the mess.

I'm sure there are some people out there that hate you. LOL

Tom
Take care and by all means, stay inspired.

https://boleware.blogspot.com

The Daycare Magician Book

https://thedaycaremagician.blogspot.com/
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
As I have several pints of strong beer on the way to parties I often vomit on the floor in front of the children, and then there are the 30 or so cigarette ends I drop on the floor too. My beheading of St. John The Baptist illusion for pre-school children leaves mess (I use rancid meat and brains from the local butcher's shop). This in turn causes the audience to vomit.

:(

:(

:)

Only joking! I'm practically a tee-totaller these days and don't smoke.

Er, rubbish (garbage) etc. Well absolutely nothing really. Maybe we overlook to take the occasional coffee or tea cup back, but that's all.

:)

PS: Isn't there someone in our location who DOES have several pints of beer on the way to a party? Smile
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
When you ask the client if its okay to make it snow as part of your show, they expect just that - snow. That it will melt away like the real stuff and not be a problem.

What they didn't expect is white confetti all over the floor, in people's hair, and underneath the sofa. They didn't expect you to create such a mess, and then just leave it there for someone else to clean up.

When you ask them if its okay, not only do they not fully understand the effect (having never seen it before), not understand the amount of mess to be made, but I think on some level they expected you to clean it up. As a form of politeness, off course they are going to say Yes. They have never seen the trick before to know what mess it is going to cause. They just think it sounds like fun and agree to anything which keeps the kids out of their hair for a few extra minutes.
But the negative reactions that mess causes are only talked about after you leave. Your onto the next party having left a mess all over the floor. The other parents are talking about the state you left the room / stage / hall in. You have lost all possible repeat bookings, especially those that would have been in a private home as now every parent there thinks you will do the same trick in their living room.

Then, the parent plays a party game with the children, one slips on the confetti and hurts themselves, which is all your fault.

Basically, you are not there for the repercussion of your actions and it will cost you in bad remarks and lost potential repeat bookings.
www.amazingstephen.co.uk
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4072 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I don't know if people expect it or not when they are told of the confetti. However, I just prefer not to take the chance. I think it's human nature to agree to something up front, and then afterwards b**** about it.
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
I always like to clean up after myself just so I don't get the reputation of being messy. Sometimes after an event I even have children come up to help me clean up the burst balloons or the paper mouth coils. But I do agree that if you must make a mess and then leave it for clean up then you should let the event planner know in advance. This way they have agreed and will be prepared for the clean up. Reputation is EVERYTHING in this business.

Brad
As the Frogs say "Times Fun when you're having Flies" Smile
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Negative reactions? if a negative reaction to the snowstorm finale mess is the parents calling me to perform at their child's party and specifically asking for the snow, then yes I get negative reactions all the time.
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
Billy Bo, how many shows did you do last year? Because I imagine someone not doing the effect would get more bookings that someone doing it.

Any entertainer will always get some repeat work, based on the fact that your probably the only entertainer that clients knows. It doesn't mean that one trick has helped you get more bookings.

The only way we can really calculate if the trick has actually benefited referral work is to find out how many shows you did and compare it to someone who does not perform the trick. Even then its going to be difficult to calculate but the numbers of shows will give us a general idea.
www.amazingstephen.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Leaving a mess at the venue (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL