The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » My impromptu ambitious ending (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Mind you, I am not by any means a great cardman, but for a few moments tonight, I sure felt like one!

A three move ambitious card and for some reason went to this end:

While holding the selection face up, I looked into the spectator's eyes and said, in a pondering way, "Amazing...the card just comes and goes..." I returned the card to the top face down and redirected my attention to the spectator. Still with a voice of awe, "It seems to disappear into the pack.." In that instant, I turned the card face up to show an indifferent card. "Gone, that quick!"

Well, the eyes got a lot bigger! I handed her the pack and asked her to look for her card. "Did you find it?"
"No...!"
"That's because it was never really there from the beginning. I just made you think it was. It might really have been the (and I turned a few cards and named them). It wasn't the 8C at all, because the 8C was...and I slowly upturned my close-up mat to reveal a face down card...right here (turn) all the time!"

Boy, do I feel good about that!
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
method please?
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
At least he said 'please'.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
Actually, it's pretty easy to figure out... even for a guy like me who doesn't do a lot of cards.

But... if the method is revealed here, then that could be considered a violation of Café rules under exposure.

PLEASE don't.
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
it was a joke actually...
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
It's hardly impromptu if you need a close up mat!!!! Smile
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
What, you don't carry a close-up mat with you at all times? Tsk, tsk.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2003-07-27 03:18, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
its hardly impromptu if you need a close up mat!!!! Smile

Of course, the same presentation angle could be used if it was in the pocket, wallet, etc. Nice one, Blindbo!

Paul.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Very nice presentation Blindbo, I like the way you pick away at their mind - that's how magic should be as it delivers a powerful impact! Smile

Good stuff,

Take care,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Quote:
On 2003-07-27 03:18, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
It's hardly impromptu if you need a close up mat!!!! Smile

Quite right, in the literal magic definition, but what I meant was it wasn't planned. The card was not a dup loaded in the beginning. I hadn't a clue I would do it. It could have been signed (wish I HAD planned it!).

You work stroll in restaurants, I remember. This could happen under a plate, napkin, etc.
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
Ok... I actually caught Lennart Green doing this kind of move but absolutely only the last move (I saw him lift up the corner of a mat), maybe it was because I was sitting a half meter away from him. He then asked me if I would bet if the card could be under the mat. I said "I would never do do that, I believe you can".

Shessh!!! What a nasty situation, I hate being a magician-spectator. Smile
Jonatan Bank
HGM
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of HGM
Great Idea blindbo
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Nice BlindBo,

Card in cardbox is also a nice end.

So many ways to end an ACR.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2005-01-14 15:53, Jaz wrote:
So many ways to end an ACR.

Yes, but all too often the ending has nothing to do with the trick. When chosing an ending we should consider (as blindbo has) why the effect ends that way.

Most of the endings I've seen for AC are just other tricks tacked on the end becase someone hasn't given the trick enough thought.

Suppose you were watching a great mystery movie and were dying to know "who done it" and then the movie ended by having Space Aliens blow up the earth before the detective reveals who the bad guy is... Wow. Great special effect!

What? Hey, wasn't there...

cheers
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I like this ending because this has a relation with ambitious card theme. I would challenge if I can make the card descend instead of rising. I place the deck on the mat and give a strong magical power on the deck. I show bottom card, but it is not the card. You show the card penetrated the mat mentioning the card has descended too deep.

I would not have spectator examine that the card disappeared from the deck because it would take much time. Just showing top card or bottom card is enough.

Thanks Jonatan B for hinting Mr. Green's method. I already can do this trick.

Hideo Kato
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Nice idea Hideo Kato - thus thanks blindbo for sharing this. Hideo - I would still have the spectator look for the card in the deck to provide misdirection needed for getting the card to the mat. What I might do to speed the process up and misdirect is if I had say 4 spectators at a table in a restaurant I might
1) DL to show card is no longer on top
2) tell specs to help you look for the card - cut pack into 4 portions.
3) hand out 3 portions whilst you look into yours p*** the card and complete the trick.
You are not only misdirecting the spectators but keeping them involved. Hey, just a quick thought off the top of my head.
mrsmiles
(UK)
MagicRocks
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of MagicRocks
Thanks for the sharing. I will consider using this as an ending to my ACR. Thanks!
jpleddington
View Profile
Loyal user
Lewisburg, PA
294 Posts

Profile of jpleddington
Quote:
On 2005-09-22 08:10, mrsmiles wrote:
Nice idea Hideo Kato - thus thanks blindbo for sharing this. Hideo - I would still have the spectator look for the card in the deck to provide misdirection needed for getting the card to the mat. What I might do to speed the process up and misdirect is if I had say 4 spectators at a table in a restaurant I might
1) DL to show card is no longer on top
2) tell specs to help you look for the card - cut pack into 4 portions.
3) hand out 3 portions whilst you look into yours p*** the card and complete the trick.
You are not only misdirecting the spectators but keeping them involved. Hey, just a quick thought off the top of my head.

These are some nice ideas. I particularly like the idea of getting the spectators involved as Mr. Smiles suggests.
philosophy & magic
www.jasonleddington.net
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Hey guys,

two things.

First, check out Gary Kurtz's masterful work on the premise. Fabulous.

Also, check out last months (I think last month's) issue of Magic Magazine to see Eric Leclerc's brilliant method for card under mat.

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » My impromptu ambitious ending (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL