The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Gypsy Monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
can someone please describe what this trick is?

thank you!
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
I am not sure, but I recently saw someone perform a monte effect at a SAM meeting with a gypsy patter, so this might be it(correct me if I am wrong):

You show 7 cards, 6 of them are red spot cards, 1 is black and a face card. You finish by showing that all 7 of them have changed to the black court cards
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
MacGyver, that was probably Peter Kane's "Gypsy Curse".

"Gypsy Monte" is a nice F.Paul Wilson routine based on the classic "Color Monte" with "Gypsy Curse" type patter and first appeared in his "Knock 'em Dead" lecture notes. It may also be on his later video of the same name.

Paul.
grahamk5
View Profile
New user
Accra, Ghana (ex-London, UK)
89 Posts

Profile of grahamk5
The Gypsy Monte I know is by Piccard.
http://go.to/piccard

It's my favourite card effect with a wonderful patter - a 3-card monte that ends up with 5 cards!

Very briefly...

You start with 3 cards - the queen sandwiched between 2 red 8's.
The Q turns face down.
Q swaps places with a face up 9 (9 is face down , queen face up).
The story continues that the guy you were watching seemed to have more than 3 cards. You expose the fact you have 4.
You put 1 card on the table
The red 9's are now black.
The other face down card in your hand is a red 9.
The card on the table is the other red 9.
The Q is now in your pocket!
You now have 5 cards which are now seen to be all queens.

You can see it at Piccard's site of at:
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/search.ph......pe=basic
performed by Philip Brocoum.

For me this is the effect that people really love. It's fun (and easy) to perform and I am an absolute fan of this. It's always setup, ready to go in my card box.

Graham
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
Paul Wilson's version is on his Knock 'em Dead video. Uses three Tarot cards and plays very well.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Paul is soon supposed to be releasing a new version of his Gypsy Monte which will be marketed seperately and include an even more incredible ending.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
re;
"It's my favourite card effect with a wonderful patter - a 3-card monte that ends up with 5 cards!"

It's a bit like Ton Onasaka's "Tonte", but perhaps with a little more happening. John Bannon has an ungaffed variant on that called "Ton-Toid" in his book "Smoke and Mirrors".

Wilson's shorter effect does leave you clean at the end.

I can see the routine is entertaining and magical (and Piccard has a good web site, what a big cheque that is) but personally I would have reservations about the logic of doing two phases using four cards as if three and then showing you DO have four cards. Aren't you setting yourself up so that in other effects later the viewers might question EXACTLY how many cards you are really holding?

I know, I probably worry too much Smile

Paul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Gypsy Monte (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL