The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Best 10 Movies About Magic of All Time (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
HerraTaikuri
View Profile
New user
Helsinki, Finland
60 Posts

Profile of HerraTaikuri
And of to the videostore Smile though I have sometimes searched, I have nwver found many magic films. Thanks for the list.
Justin W
View Profile
Special user
Lawrence, KS
929 Posts

Profile of Justin W
Ha. Just goes to show how very little GOOD movies there have been made about magic.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5810 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
VERY happy to see The Prestige at the top of the list. I saw the Barker film and frankly, I felt Barker used performance magic as a convenience. He could have developed that aspect of the film's plot more fully, but then, Christopher Nolan had already done that some years later with The Prestige.

Sad thing is, MAGICIANS who play magicians in movies are REALLY bad. Ask David Copperfield about Terror Train. Smile

Shade was full of magicians, but, let's be honest, Stuart Townsend and Hal Holbrook were far more magical than Earl Nelson and R. Paul Wilson - although Wilson wasn't awful, he is no actor IMHO.

Some may argue that it is unfair to expect a magician to be on par with Hal Holbrook, and I would agree. That being said, if Robert-Houdin is RIGHT - and I believe he IS - then perhaps we are not doing our jobs as well as we should.

अहिंसा

Vlad
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5758 Posts

Profile of motown
I enjoyed both the Prestige and the Illusionist.

And even though it's not that accurate, I always liked Houdini.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1940 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
"Is Anybody There" starring Michael Caine is particularly poignant.
tjo'
Roland
View Profile
New user
Arizona
34 Posts

Profile of Roland
Here's another take on the greatest magic movies of all time... https://www.carnivalofillusion.com/best-......time.php
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1226 Posts

Profile of lynnef
There's not a lot out there is there? Good that Prestige made both lists. One that might get overlooked that I liked was "Sleight". Some in the Café didn't like it because of suggestions of super powers; but I thought there was some good old fashioned magic (yes, even cards and coins) in there which was coached by Eric Jones. And the homage to Houdini was an underlying theme throughout. Lynn
chrisgali
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of chrisgali
Now you see me was ok, some cool card sleights.
GlennLawrence
View Profile
New user
Randolph NJ
69 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
What, no love for "Burt Wonderstone" starring Steve Carrell?

Ok for those wondering, yes I am kidding! One of the worst turds of a movie, magic or otherwise, that you could waste your money on. How in the world did they get him to do that one? Besides the obvious, $
I'm sure he's glad almost everyone's forgotten about it by now.........
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
I have thought for a while that a treatment of the Erdnase mystery could make a popular movie.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone surely tops my list for its satirical accuracy.

I used to be sensitive to criticism, but I am not really sensitive to it any more. Please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Best 10 Movies About Magic of All Time (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL