We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Creative Magic Cube Squared (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dbmagic123
View Profile
Regular user
Evansville Indiana
197 Posts

Profile of dbmagic123
I own a Creative Magic Cube Squared,, and love it. I use it in my larger show to produce a girl. But would like to use it in my solo show. any thoughts on larger items that could be produced from the very large load chamber that could create that same WOW that producing a girl does.
DOn
Doug Follett
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Doug Follett
Beach balls or some other type of inflatable?
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I use it in my school shows to produce a faculty member.

Dan.
MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
I just purchased the same item. Plays big packs small. In the two days that I have owned it I have produced my 2 and 4 year old girls.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1065 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
I recently saw some realistic life sized Plushed Tigers. Check it out! There's even an inflatable tiger.
acortest
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of acortest
This looks like a great item for producing something large or a person for a stage performance. I've always thought Creative Magic's items were very innovative (i.e. professional and 'magical' looking and pack down very small) but quite expensive. Maybe now that Creative Magic is going out of business, hopefully I can pick one up somewhere for a more reasonable price. I agree though, they do look nice and have many uses.
randyburtis
View Profile
Special user
827 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Quote:
On 2011-02-20 18:13, MagicJim wrote:
I just purchased the same item. Plays big packs small. In the two days that I have owned it I have produced my 2 and 4 year old girls.

Guess that beats the usual 9 months of pregnancy, your wife must be delighted Smile
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3403 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I love Creative Magic’s take on the Square-Circle.
In my opinion, it should produce either a person, or
very solid and surprising objects, not hollow balls or stiff stuffed animals.

-Perhaps all the props for your act, including tables?
-Maybe a pre-selected spectator to assist with your first trick?
-It may be possible to do a spooky thing (from the inside)
the pieces moved by unseen ghostly hands (yours inside)
and actually produce yourself as your opening?

Sleep on it (not the prop, on ideas) take your time.
-Ask yourself what would “magic-logic” suggest?
-Brainstorm with your wife and close friends?
-Examine the style of your act, and your stage persona.
-Look at the other things you do, what would compliment those?

Let us know what you eventually come up with, but
please don’t rush the creative process,
let it be creative and inventive over a period of time.

Creative Magic is only offering their props in complete lots now,
so there is little chance of buying one new any longer,
take good care of your (now rare) illusion!

My wandering thoughts,
Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
mrpiper
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
This is the most versatile prop I have ever owned. I just wish I could have gotten 2 of them for backup. I sincerely hope many will post great ideas here. My first thought is producing a person as an opener, but that's so obvious, I'm trying to get outside the "box"

I thought about producing a person in a recliner (special made to fit in the chamber of couse. it would have to be a bit smaller) What would be some good ideas for "expandable" items that would appear when you raise the red cover and drop it? The reveal of something too tall to fit in the box would be surprising which is why a person standing up works so well.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
PCoreyB
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of PCoreyB
I just used my new Cube Squared with my 12 year old son hidden inside. I showed it empty and talked about creating fun. I put in some fun woofle dust and then used a foam pool noodle to stir with. While stirring in a big circle, I casually removed my hand and the noodle kept going around, stirring by itself. I took the noodle out and talked about what to have fun with, we are near a beach so I clapped my hands and a beach ball magically flew out of the prop. I did this two more times and got two more beach balls. Then finally I mentioned that a trip to the beach is no good without someone to share it with and I produced my son. Everyone seemed to like it. There was quite a reaction when the pool noodle stirred by itself!

Some might say that I shouldn't have revealed my son at all...I considered that and may re-routine in the future but for now, for a young audience especially, this seemed to work.
mrpiper
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Thanks! I LOVE the noodle Idea.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3354 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
You guys really think it's deceptive? You think it looks good on stage? You think it handles well in performace?

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1335 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
While I do not own the "Creative Magic" version, I built my one that is large enough to produce my younger sister. I agree with Walt in that producing something inflatable changes the production value considerably. This is really true of any illusion where a live assistant is used. Imagine Zig Zag with a large doll used in place of the assistant. Quite a step down if you ask most audiences. I personally think that if you produce an intimate object, you are better off using a standard square circle, unless the thing you produce from the larger one is itself a larger prop needed in your show.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

At a show earlier today, I used mine to make the Mom appear.

Dan.
mrpiper
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Quote:
On 2011-10-01 16:32, JamesinLA wrote:
You guys really think it's deceptive? You think it looks good on stage? You think it handles well in performace?

Jim

Jim,
I was VERY pleasantly surprised when I got my Cube Squared. It's great looking on the stage. It's gigantic, colorful, and works very well. I couldn't be more pleased with mine.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3354 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I've only seen it in videos. I know things make a different impression in person. But I would be tempted to prefer a square / square made of traditional material that could fold down with pin hinges. That would be my instinct without having seen it in person. I've got some Osborn plans for that somewhere.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
mrpiper
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Building your own is a great option as well. It's all about entertaining and making fun. The advantage I personally see of Cube Squared is that it's super light at < 5 lbs. Matches all of my other Creative magic props such as victory cubes and random fate, and lastly, it REALLY looks great! My stage looks like a section of a toy store at Christmas. The point, however, is likely moot. At this point, you would be hard pressed to find someone who owns a Cube Squared who is willing to sell it and they are no longer available. If you decide that you do want one, I suggest a fast web search of magic dealers who may have 1 left and buy it immediately. Otherwise, making your own will be the only choice available to you moving forward.

Have fun!
XerxX
View Profile
New user
I hope I'll make more than
78 Posts

Profile of XerxX
Quote:
On 2011-10-02 03:39, JamesinLA wrote:
I've got some Osborn plans for that somewhere.

I can't find them at Osbourne's site or in the sticky illusion post.
Can someone provide me a link or if it's in a book the name of it, please?

TIA
2013-01-25: Returning after a loong absence...
Pambalini
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Pambalini
Try producing an illusion from the cube square. The door's wide open on this one.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2444 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
At the end of my show, I use the Cube Squared to magically produce 200 pre-twisted balloon animals.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
randyburtis
View Profile
Special user
827 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Nice, Kent, do you pull them from the top or drop them all out the bottom?
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2444 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I produce one, at first, from the top of the cubes. I give this to a child in the audience. Then I produce another one, and another one. In each case, I hand the balloon to an audience member. The rhythmn increases and I become more and more frantic as these balloons keep appearing. Then, as the finale, I lift all of the cubes at once and let the balloon animals spill off the foot of the stage. Every child gets a balloon animal without having to wait in line for half and hour. Plus, you look like a rock star as these kids rush the foot of the stage to get a balloon animal. It really makes a fantastic promo picture if you want to capture the excitement of your show.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
randyburtis
View Profile
Special user
827 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Nice kent, thanks for sharing, sounds like a great idea
-
Cube squared balloon levi-duction is an idea I have for the prop....
Magi walks on stage holding silver cube folded. Red cube is preset on stage.Snap open the silver cube and place over the red cube. Wave hands over the cube and on the two sides of the red cube a helium balloon on a ribbon springs out(the ribbon is attached to the red cube on the sides). Take out red cube and show it,replace inside the silver cube. Walk away from the cubes, gesture and the red cube starts to float up until it nearly clears the silver cube...Then there is one of 2 options.Option 1- the red cube drops down revealing the production of the assistant. OR Option 2 the red cube floats down, then floats back up near the top of the silver cube, and then the cube drops down to do the assistant production.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3354 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Osborne's square square plans are available as a seperate plans on his website. I'm sure they're also in one of his books.

Jim
XerxX
View Profile
New user
I hope I'll make more than
78 Posts

Profile of XerxX
James, I found it: "Chests of Mystery".
Thanks for replying!

XerxX
2013-01-25: Returning after a loong absence...
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1635 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2011-10-01 16:32, JamesinLA wrote:

Jim, for me the answer to all of the above questions is "marginally". If you need something that can fit in a briefcase and produce someone at a party, this is one of the more practical methods that exists and it is certainly professionally produced for what it is. If you are doing a full-scale illusion show, it might not fit in as well.

I bought the prop for good price and I still have it in my shop. I've yet to use it in a performance because the need hasn't arisen for this particular method. For some performers and shows I can see this being a very functional prop that would fit within the art direction that already exists. For me to put it alongside my other illusions feels a little floppy and out of place. It is simply a matter of how it fits in to your existing show.

I feel the same way about the current trend of cardboard box solutions. It works for some but can also appear out of place for others.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3354 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
That's kind of my feeling about it, too. Also, if it's made out of that lightweight stuff, it kind of undercuts the need to pick up one, slide it back down, and then pick up the other. If they're so light and floppy (good adjective, Ray) then why not just pick them both up at the same time?

Jim
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1635 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2011-10-11 14:25, JamesinLA wrote:
If they're so light and floppy (good adjective, Ray) then why not just pick them both up at the same time?

Exactly my feeling. I think we have to look realistically at this prop for what it is, and that is a compromise on something more substantial that is easier to pack down and travel with. There are so many times that we have to make compromises from a better solution to a weaker solution. This is one of those situations and if the trade-off is worth it, we go with it. I have the same feeling with a lot of the Andrew Mayne cardboard box illusions. They appear to be weak compromises from the original illusions, but they are very inexpensive and very easy to make. I just feel it is very important to accept them for what they are and not try to convince ourselves that they are the best answer, only an acceptable compromise for a specific situation.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Eyes of Darkness
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of Eyes of Darkness
How far away does the audience have to be in order for the illusion to work?
What about the lighting?
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

I've done it with audience members just a few feet away.

Dan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Creative Magic Cube Squared (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.181910 seconds, requiring 90 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [7] [3] [8] [3] [5] [4] [6]