The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Cigar Boxes (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
Not the juggling kind, the wooden ones, with hinges or sliding lids and other one-off features. If your like me and like to tinker with found objects, empty boxes used to go for a couple dollars a pop at tobacco stores. The price is rising fast as more people are starting to discover them.
aka Mike Booth
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
My first magic box when I was a kid was made from a cardboard cigar box. It was a bit like a Flip Over Box, but I used it for productions.

I snatched up a handful of boxes, both cardboard and wooden a few years ago, and I've used them for a number of things.

Hobby Lobby has on occassion, unfinished boxes that are very close to cigar boxes, both hinged and sliding lids.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2011, Michael Baker wrote:
My first magic box when I was a kid was made from a cardboard cigar box. It was a bit like a Flip Over Box, but I used it for productions.

I snatched up a handful of boxes, both cardboard and wooden a few years ago, and I've used them for a number of things.

Hobby Lobby has on occassion, unfinished boxes that are very close to cigar boxes, both hinged and sliding lids.

That's what I did too in my preteens magic "career" - an Egyptian Water Box made from a cardboard cigar box! I think I'm going to the cigar store today to look at cigar boxes !

Later on my grandfather helped me construct a wooden square and circle cabinet which saved my youthful budget immensely ! I think I have the skills now to make the square and circle.
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
I have used cigar boxes since I was a little kid Smile I still look for them in 2nd hand shops, tho lately I have switched to using tins as they are easier to find. Smile
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Got two Montecristo cigar boxes at my local spirits and cigars store (gratis). They have lids already hinged along short side -- perfect for a water box. Will need to duct tape them together to get a 4 inch depth to the box.
Inspired by another post I plan to decoupage some mediaval wood cuts on the front and back. Went to local crafts store to get some modpodge!
Tap Roniart
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Tap Roniart
My Goodwill stores locally always have goodies in the form of boxes & other storage. I don't know what this thread is asking, but if it doesn't have to be a cigar box (they don't wear well), I have a lot of small wooden boxes that would easily pass as cigar boxes after printing out hi-res images of sides & top and affixing with spray glue or... From 4-5' away & beyond, nobody could tell, and besides-why are they looking at the box, anyway?! Smile
Tap Roniart

# PM me your effects looking for a method!
# Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors-especially ideas that end up being awful-as I am on cell.
# Mods: I only break site rules that the "inner circle" themselves break.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2017, Tap Roniart wrote:
My Goodwill stores locally always have goodies in the form of boxes and other storage. I don't know what this thread is asking, but if it doesn't have to be a cigar box (they don't wear well), I have a lot of small wooden boxes that would easily pass as cigar boxes after printing out hi-res images of sides and top and affixing with spray glue or... From 4-5' away and beyond, nobody could tell, and besides-why are they looking at the box, anyway?! Smile

Just trying out cigar box projects in my case. As it turns out getting the backs off the boxes is turning into a chore with a box cutter. The box is not exactly cardboard. Rather it appears to be some form mdf board approaching a wood like quality.

I think I may just give up on the cigar box idea and construct the water box from plywood Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2017, ThunderSqueak wrote:
I have used cigar boxes since I was a little kid Smile I still look for them in 2nd hand shops, tho lately I have switched to using tins as they are easier to find. Smile

Check discount tobacco stores to see if they have a selection of cigars, sold by the piece. If they don't discard the empty boxes, they often sell them cheap enough to make it worth spending a few bucks. That was always my source.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Tap Roniart
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Tap Roniart
I used to make "shock boxes" out of cigar boxes... Smile
Tap Roniart

# PM me your effects looking for a method!
# Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors-especially ideas that end up being awful-as I am on cell.
# Mods: I only break site rules that the "inner circle" themselves break.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
The factor for using cigar boxes is that many are cardboard or some sort of mdf material. As such they are easy to modify and provide the basic structure for production and vanishing boxes. They are "perfect" for those who have limited woodworking skills or lack easy access to a wood shop.
In general my motivations are:
(1) The cigar boxes are usually free.
(2) They are relatively easy to work with. (In my current project I needed to glue two boxes together to get a decent width for the "Egyptian water box.") There is the deconstruction/assembly phase then a reassembly and decorating phase.
(3) and making my own props appeals to my creative side.

I'll post several photos to document my progress. This is my first trial and error approach since my childhood!

Here are the free Montecristo boxes that hopefully will become a presentable Egyptian Water Box! I'm not done with it yet.

Click here to view attached image.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
The boxes as they will be when glued together.

docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Here the bottoms have been removed, sides removed for new top of box and have been glued together with Loctite glue and reinforced with the universal fix it, duct tape Smile
Still ugly at this point.

docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Here is what I use:
(1) Loctite go2 glue
(2) duct tape Smile
(3) box cutter
(4) scissors
The empty trash bag single ply cardboard box will be cut apart and used to reline the interior to hide the duct tape and will be painted black.

docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Here is the box with the lids opened. Next step is to make it pretty.

docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
To decorate it I plan to decoupage some prints of medieval wood cuts on the exterior sides. Here is one sample.

Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
156 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
It’s looking good! Thanks for posting all the progress photos.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I use them for storing parts in the workshop and also small magic items like holders, coins, and gaffs.

The thin wooden inserts are useful for other building projects where very thin wood is required.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2017, docguitarman wrote:
To decorate it I plan to decoupage some prints of medieval wood cuts on the exterior sides. Here is one sample.

Very inspiring! I've got a few of these boxes lying around from an abandoned guitar project. Right now, I just use them to hold the small stuff in my magic table. I sense a new,project coming!
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2017, Rook wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2017, docguitarman wrote:

Very inspiring! I've got a few of these boxes lying around from an abandoned guitar project. Right now, I just use them to hold the small stuff in my magic table. I sense a new,project coming!

Thank you Rook! I'll post more photos soon. Turns out I learned I had better seal the inkjet prints of the woodcuts with acrylic sealer before decoupaging them. The sealer is on its way in the mail at the moment.

BTW, I've also made a cigar box guitar amp from a kit myself !
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Here is the new interior, relined with one ply cardboard and blackened with artist black gesso. Duct tape no longer in sight !

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Cigar Boxes (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL