The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Deja Zoo (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
392 Posts

Profile of oagwood
I always got a "so what" type of reaction from the kids with this. I don't think it matches my persona as a kid show entertainer and gives the I'm better than you and know more than you type of attitude. The adults have always liked it though.

I really like Mary's idea, it makes sense and the kids are performing the mental feat--makes me want to dust it off and give it another shot.
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
I have the kids try to guess what I drew, seems to go over better that way, they win.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I'll choose to be the "naysayer" for this one. Sorry, but the method is blooming obvious to me, and I've performed it sufficiently to realise that I'm not the only one. However you choose to present it, can you really avoid the rather obvious method being spotted?
Those kids in the audience who have even a slightly mathematical bent are likely to notice the anomaly. If I perform mentalism, I want it to be "watertight". There are certain mentalism routines that also use a rather blatant method, but which fly in the real world. My experience is that "Deja Zoo" is just too easy to deconstruct.
I saw an effect similar to this when I was 5 years old, and immediately knew how it was done. There are just too many smart *ss kids out there!
My opinion, and I'm sure plenty of folks will disagree.....
;)
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
My partner Tom said the same thing but I loved the effect and was determined to do it. Tom really helped a lot with my performance of this effect. I wrote the basic patter line and Tom worked on the weak points with psychology and between the two of us it is working great!

-Mary
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Ok...I've used it a several times. I'm not getting as strong a reaction as I'd like. Sometimes the kids will name an animal that wasn't even in the deck. I'm being more careful with the instructions for the 6-8 yr old crowd, I'm struggling. It also seems a bit long. Someone suggested that I have fewer animals from which they can pick. That would speed it along but also not make it as strong. The dead spots are when I'm drawing my predictions. I guess I need to add some patter as I'm drawing.

Also, I like the idea of adding music and safari hats....not done that yet.

I've not given up on this yet...I still think it has long term potential. I have my rubber chicken read their minds with some oversized sunglasses on his head. That part gets laughs. I may need to experiment with having them match me, but that might exclude the value that I get with the bits of business from my chicken.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
I'm considering this effect, but I have a briefcase act. Will the stand that comes with the effect fit in a briefcase? Is the stand necessary to the working of the effect?
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Michael, the stand will fit ... it's actually in two pieces that interlock together.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Thanks, Arthur. Could you tell me how it compares to "What's My Job," if you've ever used both?

http://themagicwarehouse.com/FL3005/Whats-My-Job.html
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Michael, they are two different effects. Both are good and play well. But since they are both sort of "prediction" effects, I'd be reluctant to use them together in the same show.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Thanks, Arthur. I wasn't thinking of using them both in the same show, since they do seem similar. Rather, I was more interested in a comparrison, so I could make an informed decision between the two. I'd like to pick up one or the other next month.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Would older children see this and think it looks childish?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-12-30 09:20, Paul Rathbun wrote:
Would older children see this and think it looks childish?

I don't think so Paul. Though, teenagers- might be a gray area. I do know that it really fools adults too. I have done this for ages up to 12- and goes over great. So- sorry, lol, I guess I really didn't help you as I never used it for teenagers.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
One last question, does it pack flat?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-12-30 11:35, Paul Rathbun wrote:
One last question, does it pack flat?

Very Flat!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Thanks.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
From my own experience, just to throw a little more light on these two effects:

De Ja Zoo: I saw Sammy Smith do this, and loved it. Bought it right away. But after learning the trick, I performed it for my wife, and she thought it was one of the silliest tricks she'd ever seen.

What's My Job: I must admit I modified the routine quite a bit, combining elements of David Ginn's "It's All The Same Trick" principle, to create my own unique presentation. But various re-interpretations of this modified version have been featured in many of my themed shows.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2013-12-30 15:05, arthur stead wrote:
From my own experience, just to throw a little more light on these two effects:

De Ja Zoo: I saw Sammy Smith do this, and loved it. Bought it right away. But after learning the trick, I performed it for my wife, and she thought it was one of the silliest tricks she'd ever seen.

What's My Job: I must admit I modified the routine quite a bit, combining elements of David Ginn's "It's All The Same Trick" principle, to create my own unique presentation. But various re-interpretations of this modified version have been featured in many of my themed shows.
So, if you had to choose, which one seems to get the best kid-show reaction (5-10 year olds)?
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Others may have a different experience. But for me, definitely What's My Job. But as I said, my approach differs from the standard script.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Thanks, Arthur. I was leaning that way myself. Still not sure, though... with all the rave reviews Deja Zoo is getting - here and in other threads. Smile
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I love Deja Zoo for 5 and up.

Little kids might not get mind reading but they just love to guess the right one.

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Deja Zoo (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL