The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Little Man by Paul Harris (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
The problem is...it's TINY. Truth-in-advertising, it is indeed LITTLE. The vid-demo has the camera mabye 8 inches away from it. Anyone more than 3 feet away will see this as an ill-defined globule shuffling along (shuffling, NOT walking!) at a very slow pace. Now I know that potty is a first-class children's entertainer, but I just don't see how he's gonna pull this off with one of his party-size audiences!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
As I said above, I very much doubt I'll use this for a kids' party. I like to keep all the kids involved all the time. Of course, LM could be routined so that the kids suggest what colour of clay we should use, what shape to make it, etc.....but I can't really see this as a party piece. I imagine that the routine would be way too slow - at least for my style - even if the kids were involved, and there were loads of gags. No, for kids parties I'd rather have bigger props like my Wolf props, or at least
However, there are numerous occasions when I find myself performing close-up for kids (especially at the hospitals, as I said). I can't imagine a better effect for this purpose!
Somehow I think even older kids will enjoy this, but I plan to use it mainly for kids up to the age of about 7 or 8.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
If it's small could a visualiser attached to a laptop/projector work? It's the solution I use in school teaching.(Though I'd only do this if a rich client booked me.)
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-03-14 13:13, themagiciansapprentice wrote:
If it's small could a visualiser attached to a laptop/projector work? It's the solution I use in school teaching.(Though I'd only do this if a rich client booked me.)

Why? If you have a larger group, I suggest getting a Wolf prop. They can be seen from 100 yards away.....
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
No .. just thinking aloud - doing a Science Show on Wednesday and been playing with a wi-fi microscope all afternoon.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Potty,

I love that you took a chance on this. I'm looking forward to your review. I also love the idea of using this bedside in the hospitals and leaving it to the child. What a wonderful way to connect with a child and creating a special moment together. I think it's perfect, fun, and memorable. Great thinking!

Mike Smile
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I just hope this is not similar to the miniature toy car that can be programmed to follow a desired direction on a circuit board. Actually, the little man is not walking, it is just sliding slowly. I hope I am wrong. I am anxious to hear your review Potty.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-03-14 20:12, Lou Hilario wrote:
I just hope this is not similar to the miniature toy car that can be programmed to follow a desired direction on a circuit board. Actually, the little man is not walking, it is just sliding slowly. I hope I am wrong. I am anxious to hear your review Potty.

Very possibly it is, Lou, I'm not sure. But it's fun. I thought it would be a nice bit for certain adults too...by making a figure of a "witchdoctor" or voodoo priest - who comes to life and finds a chosen card.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

OK, I got my Little Man. First impressions are very good. I only had time to watch the basic set-up and performance...so this is just a brief overview, not a full review.
The surprising thing for me is that this is a mechanical effect, no batteries or electronics. All the props seem to be very well made, and built to last.
The set up is going to take a while to get right every time....but if you only perform it once in a session, you can take plenty of time to set it up with the DVD instructions until you're totally familiar with exactly what to do. It's not difficult, but needs to be done precisely as per the instructions. The performance, by contrast, is fairly simple. Every detail has been carefully considered, and great thought has gone into the routining so that there is no chance you'll give anything away.
The method on the one hand is, I'd suggest, simple enough that many of us magicians will have some idea of what it is. On the other hand, there are so many clever little devices and sneaky features, that it would be very hard to actually work out how, exactly, the effect is achieved. I'm not surprised that the R&D on this took much longer than expected - every single element has been so well concealed and designed. In this respect, LM is a real masterpiece. Few magic props have this many little "touches".
What's very nice is the ultimate simplicity of the routine. You have a small bag with a box of modelling clay, have the kids build a clay figure. Add some features such as bow tie, hat, shoes, etc, with a torn-up business card....and voila! The figure walks!
Yes, it's a shuffle, he doesn't pick his feet up as he moves.....if you feel this is a problem, well, I guess that's your call.
This rather reminds me of my traditional Flea Circus, with lots of cool animations. Bear in mind that with the Flea Circus, the operations are done manually, it's not such a huge secret that the "ringmaster" is in control. But with LM, the performer is totally hands-free as the figure walks.
There is no need to hand everything out for examination, in my opinion, but this is an option. Personally, I feel that the effect is very strong, and funny. Why have things examined afterwards? Better in my opinion, to put the box of clay back in the bag, hand the clay figure to the kid to keep, and get on with another effect. (If you can find something to follow this!)
Having it in my hands, it seems to me it would be a good effect for a kids' party show. After all, the clay figure is considerably bigger than most of the animated objects in my Flea Circus, and that easily plays to 20 or 30 people. (Allegedly it plays to 100, though I've always felt that really would be too big a crowd). If you were to include this for kids' magic shows, it would certainly be a "packs small plays big" effect.
I'll give another review once I've actually got the routine down, and performed it a couple of times. Perhaps I'll manage to use this next Tuesday at the local hospital.
Overall, I'm very pleased with it so far.....but there may of course be issues I've not considered once I start to actually use the prop.
Potty Smile
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

I've now had a few practise runs (or should I say "walks"?) This is pretty much a self-working effect, it seems VERY reliable, and incredibly easy to do! The only complicated bit is the set-up: the actual performance part is about as simple as it gets. There is one "move" to learn - but it's very simple, and there is no heat on it, as it's right at the start of the routine. There is also an equivalent "move" at then end - when there is more heat...but nothing to worry about, in my opinion.
The effect is virtually silent - and should take only an hour or so to master fully.
When the little guy walks, it's so much fun!
Now I just have to practise it all a little more so it's 100%, and I'll be using it.
Anyone who's considering Little Man should also read Runawayjag's review about half way down the page here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=109&27
I love it!
Potty Smile
rynku
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of rynku
I have this item..and allow me to say something about it..
this item is $300, it is actually very expensive. But if you compared to the gimmick that you'll be getting.. then I think $300 is worth it.
everything in this package has been considered, everything has its own purpose. I love the design.

can it be used for a commercial venue? paid gigs etc...? Nope.. I don't think so. why?
Forming clay into a man shape could be very boring in shows. if you prebuild it (the little clay man), then the routine will lost its essence. (if your audience help you build the little man the they should know that there is nothing in it)

This is a collector's item for sure.

The nature of this product, is like owning a tenyo's product..you will proud to give a way the secret to your fellow magicians, because it uses cool mechanism. (but no..I will not give away anything)

The set up is pretty complicated (for me), even-though the guy in the video try to convince me that its not.

will it fool someone...? well, if you know paul Harris' style..then you would know by know that fooling isn't the right word..thats one reason why his book is called the art of astonishment.
In the right moment, this can be very strong.

will I do this effect...? no.

hope this is helpful.
novestro
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of novestro
Hi, I have had a Little Man for 1 month now and I must say I am very much disappointed: Well, it does look great when it walks - NO: if it walks! In two out of three trials it does not work, the sledge gets stuck or moves only in one direction instead of making steps.Thus it is not reliable at all, and I can assure that as I have tried it at least 100 times by now. Second problem: The support is no longer available! So my advice: If you see it still offered anywhere, DON'T buy it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Little Man by Paul Harris (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL