The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » That one move!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Hey guys,

I am just wondering a little something.

I'm a freak when it comes to the cards, And I know that cardmen all have that one move that they never do for anyone...so what about the coin guys?

What is the one Coin move/sleight/pinch/clip/vanish that you practice all the time but never do for anyone.

or what is your favorite use for a certain sleight?

I use the Kix move. There are so many things you can do with this move it's not even funny!

it can be seen on Dean Dill's video or Paul Gertner's Silver and Steel tapes and many other places I'm sure.

Lonnie Dilan
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I personally don't practice stuff that I don't plan on using, espeically something I would invest the time into practicing all the time.
Click to visit:
mambra
View Profile
New user
Milano (Italy)
66 Posts

Profile of mambra
Hi.

Back clip. Very risky for me. I know I could get terrific reactions in using that move, but either the coin can be seen or fall... I have never used so far.

I keep trying... one day... who knows???

Stefano

PS: for cards: for me it was the pass... now I am starting to use it, even if not when performing formally.

Cheers

Stefano Mambretti
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Same here. The backclip is something I'd like to perfect for a half dollar. It feels the most unnatural position for your hand but can make miracles with that move.

Regards,
Tony
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
By Backclip do you mean "Goshman Pinch" position or Classic Back-palm? If you mean Goshman then have you tried "On the Spot" by Greg Wilson, or "Revolutionary Coin Magic" by Jay Sankey, as both teach the move well and have routines that use it. Or is it the case of you have learnt it and still won't use it?
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
mambra
View Profile
New user
Milano (Italy)
66 Posts

Profile of mambra
Hi.

I do not know whether I just need practice or my fingers are not fitted for it. I learnt it on Bobo, Dover editon.

So I put the coin between first and second finger (although someone put it between the second and the third ones).

I know few routines that use it, and it is very nice because the hand seems really empty.

By heart I can quote Dai Vernon's change or a sort of coin across with only two coins, by Fred Kaps...

No, I think I know how to perform the move. The problem is, it is difficult to release the coin *exactly* where it has to stay. I mean... 1 mm to high... you would see the coin... 1 mm to low... the coin would fall!!!

And in performance you have to be quite fast (not *too* fast... but *quite* fast!!) and self-confident...

So...

Cheers

Stefano Mambretti
CardTrix
View Profile
New user
Springfield, IL
52 Posts

Profile of CardTrix
I love to use the Himber Vanish as taught by Jay Sankey, but it is a rather bold move. Sometimes I'm not sure I really hit it right. I still have to take a few minutes to practice it before I attempt to perform with it.
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Believe it or not the downs palm is my nemesis. I practiced it all the time. I thought I was ready and bounced it off a few Magi friends. All thought it looked strong. First time I used it for lay people I was called out hard. Ever since I have been scared witless to use it. I still play around with it a little though.
He who laughs, lasts.
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
I agree with you Dave. I have never learned a move and not used it sometime or another. I actually do every coin move that I have ever learned cause I learned the moves in the context of a routine.

But, I know we all have that one move that we practice all the time!!

I get a real kick out of doing the Himber vanish in front of people cause it looks so FREAKING GREAT!!

My other favorite move is the circulus change. I'm not sure if I spelled it right. You can use it in spellbound type routines.. or to just visibly change a coin into a different one.

ahhh who am I kidding... I like all the *** coin moves.... coins are a challenge to me and I love it!!

I think coins are harder than cards... it takes way more practice in my opinion.
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
The backclip using the Goshman pinch (aka Tenkai palm. Actually this was the original name for this move. Bobo saw this first from Goshman and thought that he originated this move). One of the harder hold ups to do.

Regards,
Tony
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
You know, I got to thinking, I do have a move that I did spend time learning, that I don't use very often.

The inertia pass (Sylvester Pitch).

Every time I have used it, it has worked well, but it is not something I typically build into my routines.

Dan
Click to visit:
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Amen Brother!!

I have been doing the pitch for about 5 years now. I love it!!

Took me about a year to get it dialed, but I use it all the time. I was actually just talking to Sylvester this past weekend about the pitch. He is a great guy with lot's to share... he'll make sure your doing the pitch right.

the pitch goes way beyond coin work... imagine the possibilities with cups and balls too!!
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
738 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
Dan what is the Sylvester pitch or what does it accomplice.thanks in advance. Smile
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
The Pitch can be used for any number of things.

you can use it to pass things from one hand into the other without the item being seen all while you are tossing something else into the hand that was hiding the original item.

for example: you are hiding a coin in your right hand and you are displaying a coin in your left hand...the coin in your left hand is tossed into your right hand and the coin in your right hand in tossed invisibly into your left hand...your hands are shown clean in the process. It sound crazy but it works like a charm. there is way more to it than I just explained, but I suggest you purchase the video and learn the move.

You can produce things...that is the main use of the pitch....it's a nice tool to add to your arsenal of sleights.
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
If you ever get the chance to see Sylvester do the pitch LIVE, you'll get knocked out! It's sensational. Looks like real magic.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
groovy
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of groovy
Sylvester Pitch for me too. Hard enough to do and even when I think I'm ready to show someone, I bottle out in fear of messing up... So much, I have'nt done performed or practised it in months!!

Groovy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » That one move!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL